• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
I do have to say, the failure to return the X38 must surely have reset the route and its passengers?

63 is supposed to be hourly, plus operate earlier journey, so its still on emergency timetable
I thought the 63 was going to be half hourly under First's operation but can't find evidence one way or another.
It's difficult to see how the 63 could efficiently be run hourly with a journey time of 70 minutes and no prospect of working-in with First services at either terminus.
Unless of course Lothian's 43 and 44 are about to bite the dust in the same way as their X38 apparently.....
After all, First ran these routes for many years.

Lothiangem22

I thought the 63 was going to be half hourly under First's operation but can't find evidence one way or another.
It's difficult to see how the 63 could efficiently be run hourly with a journey time of 70 minutes and no prospect of working-in with First services at either terminus.
Unless of course Lothian's 43 and 44 are about to bite the dust in the same way as their X38 apparently.....
After all, First ran these routes for many years.

Might interwork with 68?

Might interwork with 68?
I can imagine that for drivers, but not so much for vehicles. Drivers could spend time in Frankie & Benny's at the Gyle between shifts, but through passengers on the 20 or 63 may not be so keen on transferring buses.
Do any of First's proper West Lothian services call in at the Gyle these days? Haven't been there in ages myself.

VioletEclipse

I can imagine that for drivers, but not so much for vehicles. Drivers could spend time in Frankie & Benny's at the Gyle between shifts, but through passengers on the 20 or 63 may not be so keen on transferring buses.
Do any of First's proper West Lothian services call in at the Gyle these days? Haven't been there in ages myself.
I don't think any of them do. Possibly the 600 but I don't think so

Im i right on thinking that 176 (SN13 BDZ) was the only Lothian Country, Wright Eclipse 2 that didn't ever have the X38 Branding.

No, no First services use the Gyle currently. Can't see the 20 going into Ingliston park and ride being any use to anybody either.
Maybe its to link up with their service 600, but i dont know.

A330Alex

Going via the P&R could've been useful for some if it was still a Lothian service since it would've been an easy connection to the trams for those with daytickets/ridacards etc (likewise 63-tram at Ed. Park St.). No doubt less appealing with the need for separate tickets.

overthewater

Established Member
This is a load of old tosh .. ignore the first part.
##############################

You have to still wonder why did Lothian Not bother to bid for the 20, and did they even bother to bid for the 63?

Last edited:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Its been what nearly 10-15 years at least since First bus operated into Gyle from West Lothian, I think it was No10 service? It was 2016 when First was last in the Gyle with Route 18 before Lothian took it back.

You have to still wonder why did Lothian Not bother to bid for the 20, and did they even bother to bid for the 63?

didn’t the 21A that ran to Edinburgh Park Via the airport run through the Gyle or the X38?

I still think LCB should of gone for those services but what’s done is done now and who knows what the future holds for West Edinburgh

Its been what nearly 10-15 years at least since First bus operated into Gyle from West Lothian, I think it was No10 service? It was 2016 when First was last in the Gyle with Route 18 before Lothian took it back.

Was there a 38 or 38A that used to look in to the Gyle more recently? I think one of them diverted into Bridgend while the other called at the Gyle, in theory maintaining a regular 15 minute frequency along the rest of the route. I could be mistaken.

I think the 21A use to served The Gyle, it used to be First Buses old airport bus, most Journeys to and from airport operated to Edinburgh Park.

Strange why the didnt bid, but there bid could have been higher than Firsts.

This is unrelated to your comment but First Buses old Sunday service 20 (Between Fauldhouse/Bathgate and Edinburgh) is getting renumbered as 18.

Was there a 38 or 38A that used to look in to the Gyle more recently? I think one of them diverted into Bridgend while the other called at the Gyle, in theory maintaining a regular 15 minute frequency along the rest of the route. I could be mistaken.
I believe it was 38A that served the Gyle and it was 38 that served Brigend Village.
I think back then the 38 and 38A separately operated every 40 minutes and combined to make a 20 minute frequency.

didn’t the 21A that ran to Edinburgh Park Via the airport run through the Gyle or the X38?

I still think LCB should of gone for those services but what’s done is done now and who knows what the future holds for West Edinburgh
If Lothian Country bid for these Edinburgh routes it might mess up the fare zones. I think Edinburgh Council want single fares pegged to the standard Lothian City price.
Therefore maybe better to run them as Lothian City routes as before. However people tend to complain about that as well because they feel they get a raw deal from Lothian Country (the alternative 'glass half full' view is that they're getting a good deal from the council on the tendered services).

Auld reekie

You’re right but not sure exactly when it stopped.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

They bid for both as far as I know.

overthewater

Established Member

That's the service I was trying to think off, but I just couldn't think of anything that recently: No10.... blank memory ... now. I hold my hands up, what can I say. It kind poor some of us couldn't remember the number used.

They bid for both as far as I know.

They was one bid for the no20. First.

Observer

And all it did do by serving the Gyle was cause them to run late, wasn't uncommon seeing them run in pairs when this was on!

JurassicMan

This is a load of old tosh .. ignore the first part.
##############################

I am sure I read they didn't tender as they assumed it would renew automatically(which would be bizarre), Edinburgh Liberal Democrat spokesperson Kevin Lang was up in arms about the cock up ? it was in the Evening news back end of February

there was only 1 bid for the 20 and 2 for the 63

overthewater

Established Member
You have to wonder how much Contempt Lothian had just to assume they would get them renew automatically, would that even be legal? How would that work with revised tenders doing different things.

With the No38/38A, The service was pulled out from the Gyle with the August 2018 changes which also saw the route become every 30mins going into Edinburgh. The Same changes resulted in 21A being withdrawn from the Gyle and the replacement No 600 going only as far as Airport. (still can't believe I forgot about the No21a, however that was only around for 18 months? )

Has there ever been a bus service that has went between Boghall (village) and Livingston Centre?

They has only been a bus from the bottom of the hill on the main road from Boghall to Livingston.

I am sure I read they didn't tender as they assumed it would renew automatically(which would be bizarre), Edinburgh Liberal Democrat spokesperson Kevin Lang was up in arms about the cock up ? it was in the Evening news back end of February

there was only 1 bid for the 20 and 2 for the 63
I really don't think that's true. Reference to the Evening News doesn't exactly help the story's credibility.
Lothian took on the 20 and 63 in the Transport for Edinburgh heyday and launch of the tram. Promotion of integrating bus and tram was all the rage. Also as a speculative punt with prospects of growth in the west Edinburgh area.
I don't know any more than the next person watching the side-lining of TfE in Lothian's view along with near-empty buses going along Glasgow Rd. But if Lothian saw these services as money-spinners or important to the rest of the bus network they would have put in a decent bid. If the services weren't seen as a good fit, they wouldn't put in a decent bid.
In early 2020 I don't expect Lothian would have seen First running these two or three dud Edinburgh services from West Lothian depots as much of a threat to their business.

overthewater

Established Member
Funny thing was the No63 always carried passengers and on Saturdays it was full.. Because I bet people brought Day ticket and switched over to City buses or tram at the Gyle. They should have put in a bid for the 63.

You have to wonder how much Contempt Lothian had just to assume they would get them renew automatically, would that even be legal? How would that work with revised tenders doing different things.

With the No38/38A, The service was pulled out from the Gyle with the August 2018 changes which also saw the route become every 30mins going into Edinburgh. The Same changes resulted in 21A being withdrawn from the Gyle and the replacement No 600 going only as far as Airport. (still can't believe I forgot about the No21a, however that was only around for 18 months? )

They has only been a bus from the bottom of the hill on the main road from Boghall to Livingston.
Oh right, thanks.

Has lothian 443 (SJ66 LOF) been repained to lothian country or has there been a mistake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.