• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
[/QUOTE]
Lothian Buses Volvo 7900H 50 (BT64 LJK) was on route X27 today (31/08/2020).
I remember a while back where people were talking about them going to the Lothian Country fleet (well speculating) i think this will probably be the closest that they will be in the Lothian Country fleet, could be wrong though.
This is the link to the date 31/08/2020 .

It's on the 280 today. Quite unusual but I suppose not unexpected if no deckers are available to cover and the loss of the 20/63 has released two single decks from Longstone.

Why are people so mad that first took over the 20 and 63. Lothian took over the 63 from E&M Horsburgh in 2014 so its not like Lothian was the first operator to have it.

People weren't as mad as when Lothian (LothianCountry) took over the X27 and X28 in West Lothian.

Journeyman

Established Member
Why are people so mad that first took over the 20 and 63. Lothian took over the 63 from E&M Horsburgh in 2014 so its not like Lothian was the first operator to have it.

If you have a Ridacard and connect to other Lothian services on a regular basis, the change of operator is a pain, and potentially quite expensive.

If you have a Ridacard and connect to other Lothian services on a regular basis, the change of operator is a pain, and potentially quite expensive.
Oh aye, i forgot about ridacards, but there is also people mad because the change in operator unrelated to pricing. Basically being mad for the sake of being mad.

Journeyman

Established Member
Oh aye, i forgot about ridacards, but there is also people mad because the change in operator unrelated to pricing.

Yeah, because some enthusiasts have a ridiculous loyalty to one operator over another. It's only really an issue if you lose the network benefit, and that might affect some people.

OmniCity999

Established Member

People weren't as mad as when Lothian (LothianCountry) took over the X27 and X28 in West Lothian.

People dont like change, that's a fact of life.

Lothian taking over the 63 in 2014 was seen as an improvement due to integration and reliability.

Im not stating this as my opinion, so dont quote me as such. But people may see First taking over Lothians routes as a step down with regards to quality, going by historic performance and the public opinion.

Lothian didnt take over the X27 or X28, they are in competition.

Yeah, because some enthusiasts have a ridiculous loyalty to one operator over another. It's only really an issue if you lose the network benefit, and that might affect some people.
I know some people take it too far.

People dont like change, that's a fact of life.

Lothian taking over the 63 in 2014 was seen as an improvement due to integration and reliability.

Im not stating this as my opinion, so dont quote me as such. But people may see First taking over Lothians routes as a step down with regards to quality, going by historic performance and the public opinion.

Lothian didnt take over the X27 or X28, they are in competition.
Well lothian does have a good rating when it comes to reliability.

Journeyman

Established Member

That would certainly be my view - First are nowhere near as good as Lothian in terms of vehicle presentation and consistent, reliable service delivery. I'm hugely disappointed we may not get LC's X38 back. Vastly superior to First's shoddy vehicles.

overthewater

Established Member

Again if people are going to complain First have taken over the no20 from Lothian, then it must be drilled home LOTHIAN never bothered putting in a bid..

Observer

That would certainly be my view - First are nowhere near as good as Lothian in terms of vehicle presentation and consistent, reliable service delivery. I'm hugely disappointed we may not get LC's X38 back. Vastly superior to First's shoddy vehicles.
And yet they couldn't be bothered to go after the X38 early on when First had made cuts which essentially could have given Lothian the chance to get their foot in the door remarkably easy.

They left it until it was too late, and of course let's not forget about the Green Arrow too.

Say what you want about LCB but they have made plenty of wrong moves which cost them dearly. Not defending First, especially with regards to the vehicles, as they have had plenty of years to address the Streetlite issue.

awsnews

The fact its been well reported with Documents that council only got ONE BID for route no20 and that come from First.
The committee documents do not say there was only one bid for the 20, only that there was only one bid for the specific contract option chosen which isn't the same thing. As there are no details on the submissions for the base contract specification or other option there remains ambiguity over who bid for what.

Oh aye, i forgot about ridacards, but there is also people mad because the change in operator unrelated to pricing. Basically being mad for the sake of being mad.
Few of the small number of passengers using these services pay their own fares. It's an emotive issue, complicated deliberately for political purposes. Some councillors like to associate the council with an 'award winning' bus operator in which they hold shares. If said operator doesn't serve an area then it can be in other councillors' interests to propagate resentment that residents aren't viewed as being good enough to receive this perceived right. Especially on services where the council themselves chose the operator.
Obviously the arguments are flawed and illogical but that's the way some people think and most aren't regularly using these subsidised routes.

mb88

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2020/09/service-change-13-september-2020/
Country service changes from the 13th of september.

Lothian Country routes:
Lothiancountry 43
Revised timetable with improved frequency at peak times on Mondays to Fridays.
Lothiancountry X17
This service is re-numbered 276 – see below.
Lothiancountry X18
Revised timetable with improved mid-evening timetable to and from Edinburgh. First early morning journey to Whitburn extended from Broxburn to start in Edinburgh city centre.

Lothiancountry X27
Minor timetable changes. Later evening bus from Whitburn to Livingston on Mondays to Saturdays. Last Sunday evening bus from Edinburgh will extend to Whitburn.

Lothiancountry X28
Minor timetable changes on all days. Last evening bus from Edinburgh will extend from Deans North to Bathgate.

Lothiancountry 275
Revised route and timetable. Buses will now serve Bathgate Morrisons in both directions. On journeys to Bathgate Rail Station, the route is altered to operate via Menzies Road and South Bridge Street instead of Whitburn Road. Later evening journeys introduced between Livingston and Broxburn.

Lothiancountry 276
Previously service X17, now renumbered to service 276. Revised timetable with a later journey in each direction.

Lothiancountry 280
Revised timetable, daytime frequency remains every 30-mins. The Sunday late evening timetable is improved with later journeys to match the Monday to Saturday timetable.

Lothiancountry 281
New service. Operates on a 30 min frequency Monday-Saturday between Livingston and Fauldhouse via Bathgate, Birniehill, and Whitburn. The route between Livingston and Bathgate is the same as the 280, so the daytime frequency on this section increases to every 15-mins. Between Bathgate and Fauldhouse, the service will operate via Morrisons, Birniehill, M8 Distribution Park, East Whitburn, Whitburn and Longridge.

Lothiancountry N28
Service re-introduced on all days of the week with 1-journey per night from Edinburgh to Bathgate. The route is altered and will now follow the daytime equivalent of the X28, serving Kirknewton, St John’s Hospital and Knightsridge, and will extend to Bathgate. Within the City, all bus stops along the route will be served.

Lothiancountry N43
Service re-introduced on all days of the week with 1-journey per night from Edinburgh to Queensferry

Last edited by a moderator:

overthewater

Established Member
Lothian Country service changes from the 13th of september.

Lothian Country routes:
Lothiancountry 43
Lothiancountry X17
Lothiancountry X18
Revised timetable with improved mid-evening timetable to and from Edinburgh. First early morning journey to Whitburn extended from Broxburn to start in Edinburgh city centre.

Lothiancountry X27
Minor timetable changes. Later evening bus from Whitburn to Livingston on Mondays to Saturdays. Last Sunday evening bus from Edinburgh will extend to Whitburn.

Lothiancountry X28
Minor timetable changes on all days. Last evening bus from Edinburgh will extend from Deans North to Bathgate.

Lothiancountry 275
Revised route and timetable. Buses will now serve Bathgate Morrisons in both directions. On journeys to Bathgate Rail Station, the route is altered to operate via Menzies Road and South Bridge Street instead of Whitburn Road. Later evening journeys introduced between Livingston and Broxburn.

Lothiancountry 276
Previously service X17, now renumbered to service 276. Revised timetable with a later journey in each direction.

Lothiancountry 280
Revised timetable, daytime frequency remains every 30-mins. The Sunday late evening timetable is improved with later journeys to match the Monday to Saturday timetable.

Lothiancountry 281
New service. Operates on a 30 min frequency Monday-Saturday between Livingston and Fauldhouse via Bathgate, Birniehill, and Whitburn. The route between Livingston and Bathgate is the same as the 280, so the daytime frequency on this section increases to every 15-mins. Between Bathgate and Fauldhouse, the service will operate via Morrisons, Birniehill, M8 Distribution Park, East Whitburn, Whitburn and Longridge.

Lothiancountry N28
Service re-introduced on all days of the week with 1-journey per night from Edinburgh to Bathgate. The route is altered and will now follow the daytime equivalent of the X28, serving Kirknewton, St John’s Hospital and Knightsridge, and will extend to Bathgate. Within the City, all bus stops along the route will be served.

Lothiancountry N43
Service re-introduced on all days of the week with 1-journey per night from Edinburgh to Queensferry

Link please. Also so they cut the number of buses going into Edinburgh. Also 275 has still not gone back to the gyle.

Overall its seems only 4 extre buses. But compares to pre covid its will down.

Still no sign of the X38. :(
We all know it wasnt coming back alas. I dare say the single deckers will be used on 281.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
Glad it meets with your approval. Yes there is info about city changes but I won't post them in a thread about West Lothian.

More about backing up the point how you cant poat a link. Forum rules are rather strick over this, and just recently a new thread appeared highlighting the rules.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Overall its seems only 4 extre buses. But compares to pre covid its will down.

Can you clarify this a bit?

When you say it's "will down" (sic), what is the difference between now and then in terms of PVR, frequencies on corridors etc? Guess that would answer my other question in that are you including the X38 and EX2 in your down-ness.

If they have gone for good, makes these comments from May 2019 seem prescient though I appreciate that Covid has turned things on its head.

I could see the logic of much of their new network (though not all) but I'm bemused by the EX routes. For commuters, the journey times are fairly prohibitive; are you going to lose an hour of your day, every day and for what price? Off peak will be dominated by pass users but if you're stopping short of the key central traffic objectives, why will people use it? On top of that, it's an extension of their operations with a relatively high operating cost (with new fleet).

I don't doubt First are hurting and losing money. I expected LCB to lose money at this stage (and the business plan reflects this doubtless) but this is a very bold and yet outwardly baffling move.

overthewater

Established Member
Can you clarify this a bit?

When you say it's "will down" (sic), what is the difference between now and then in terms of PVR, frequencies on corridors etc? Guess that would answer my other question in that are you including the X38 and EX2 in your down-ness.

If they have gone for good, makes these comments from May 2019 seem prescient though I appreciate that Covid has turned things on its head.

It would included x38 and ex2 being gone. On top of that x17 not going into Edinburgh, 275 not going to the gyle and 280 cut from every 20min to 30min has also reduced PVR.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Lothian Country service changes from the 13th of september.

Lothian Country routes:
Lothiancountry 43
Lothiancountry X17
Lothiancountry X18

Lothiancountry X27

Lothiancountry X28

Lothiancountry 275

Lothiancountry 276

Lothiancountry 280

Lothiancountry 281

Lothiancountry N28

Lothiancountry N43

Some interesting changes, i think these pretty much confirm the X17 will not be going back in to the city and the EX2/X38 are not returning. The 281 is an interesting move too, although surely if it's going to Fauldhouse it would make sense for the 276 to go to Fauldhouse also? Clearly LC are trying to compete on the Livingston - Bathgate corridor more seeing as the frequency is overall now the same of that at First (8 buses per hour).

Status
Not open for further replies.