• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do think about the Christmas closedown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I wonder how members of the emergency services get to work on days of no services if they have no car. IMO that should be the only reason any services should be run, not to satisfy the bargin hunters or sports calendar

The only reason being that emergency services personnel can get to work?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bellwater

However, December 26 is a day when people are "doing" rather a lot.

For example, say someone wants to attend the prestigious King George V horse race meeting at Kempton, on December 26. Fine. Except for one slight problem.

I've picked this up because I'm a bit grouchy and nitpicky. Why use the word 'Prestigious' in there? Why not 'Horse Racing at Kempton'? I smell something.

scarby

I've picked this up because I'm a bit grouchy and nitpicky. Why use the word 'Prestigious' in there? Why not 'Horse Racing at Kempton'? I smell something.

There's nothing to smell, it's just as martinsh said, it's a major meeting in the calendar. I would have said "attended by xx thousand" instead, but I don't have the figures to hand.

SS4

Established Member
I think the Christmas Shutdown is great, I mean Christmas Day is the one day that families want to spend together, so why on earth should we force people to work on that day? Fair enough if local organisations want to run a service, that's in their opinion, but a guaranteed one day off is great.

Boxing day on the other hand, there needs to be more services - especially to the major cities. There's demand for the shoppers, even 3/4 trains each way on this day (with ample spare stock) would provide a good enough service.

Christmas Day is forced upon us by consumerism and, to a lesser degree, the church. Additionally it has increased in importance since places started to open on Bank Holidays. A three day weekend is a much better prospect for families to be together than two days on 25th/26th December and that's even before poor transportation weather comes into play.

If I can't see Christmas cancelled (or superseded by a bank holiday) then I'll take it being moved to celebrate something of national importance that actually happened.

I would be quite happy to work Christmas Day - if the price was right!! No man is incorruptible...

Me too

pmgarvey

This comes up every year and is argued to hell.

My family lives a two hour drive away, as things stand now I can guarantee at least a day and half with them over Christmas once you factor driving time?
Like hell am I giving up boxing day and losing precious little time I get with them.

Equally so, if Boxing day services could be staffed with volunteers then I see no issue, but the problem the TOCS then have is if they cant get enough staff to volunteer, which speak to a lot of rail staff, maybe a problem.

I know the NHS staffs at Christmas with a high proportion of its Asian born staff on Christmas Day, many just see Christmas as another day, and just enjoy the extra money from working it. As someone mentioned most public transport workers tend to be people who've been working at it for a long time; so less chance they're a recent immigrant who doesn't celebrate Christmas. I can see this changing in the years to come though.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
many NHS staff do not work over Christmas. It really is only those who work in essential services that have to work. Many staff don't have to work on Christmas Day, Boxing Day or any other public holiday. There are no outpatient clinics on those dates, for example, no scheduled operations, and hardly any clerical staff will be on duty.

This debate surfaces every year, and opinion normally becomes extremely polarised! In my opinion, it all comes down to money in the end - and I doubt that there will be many routes that would turn a profit on Boxing Day given the costs of running the service. After all, we are often told how few services actually break even, and with far fewer travellers on Boxing Day, I really can't see it happening.

As for Christmas Day, there is absolutely no chance!

Kneedown

Established Member
I wish i WAS working Christmas this year, i'm on call which is worse.
Spend the day with my family yes, but watching them enjoying a glass or two of Lansen, while i'm sipping bitter lemon with one eye on the blackberry, hoping it doesn't ring! <(

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I think there should be a Sunday service on Boxing Day in all the major conurbations but with services starting to run down after 18.00. I agree with everyone else that there is no need for trains to run on Christmas Day.

marks87

Established Member
Other than to connect places of essential employment (i.e. emergency services and the like), there should be no public transport on Christmas Day. Can't we have just one day of the year where people just stop?

Boxing Day...I can see the argument and a lot of places do get at least a Sunday bus service, yet trains remain sparse. In Scotland, ScotRail don't operate anything north of Stirling which is a bit extreme IMHO.

Zoe

Established Member
Can't we have just one day of the year where people just stop?
If Christmas is so important that there should be no transport then the question is why do other countries in Europe run a service? As far as I know many of them do also celebrate Christmas.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Perhaps more workers would be happy to work on Christmas Day if we had as many public holidays as the rest of Europe seem to have.

2Dogbox

I'd work Christmas day for triple time, a maximum 8 hour day, triple ticket commission and the passengers would also be required to all buy me a present in order to travel.

Aictos

Established Member
I have no interest in working either Christmas Day or Boxing Day as I rather spend it with family, no matter how much any company was prepared to pay.

radamfi

Established Member
Shopping is irrelevant when it comes to train services outside Britain. Sunday train services are much better in countries like NL, DE, CH etc. yet hardly any shops are open on Sundays in these countries. In fact, longer distance train services have virtually identical timetables 7 days a week, including Christmas Day.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm all for comparisons with Europe. Let's have higher income tax, better pensions, more holidays, better transport and fewer expensive foreign wars.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Shopping is irrelevant when it comes to train services outside Britain. Sunday train services are much better in countries like NL, DE, CH etc. yet hardly any shops are open on Sundays in these countries. In fact, longer distance train services have virtually identical timetables 7 days a week, including Christmas Day.

This I agree - in Germany for example , Xmas Eve is the time for family and friend celebration - ergo the return traffic starts on Xmas day pm ! In the USA they have no Boxing Day tradition , its a normal work day. Culteral issues apply. The NYC subway operates an off peak Xmas day timetable all day - with reasonable loadings I gather.

Judging by the panic food buying on the days before Xmas - one would thnk we were going into a famine.

For the record , I have done all these holidays - on call and otherwise - including rerailing a derailed freight train one Boxing Day back in the day. Damned thing was derailed as almost a last move on Xmas Eve !. I have also turned out on Boxing Day for reasons not to be mentioned , when no trains were running. Think of the NR staff and engineers working on these days doing bridge and S&C / signalling works etc.

My wife being a midwife is working Xmas Day (+ on call) , and New Years Eve also. That is however a non negotiable "safety and human critical" job. The roster is worked to give those with young families a chance to get some quality time off. Fair enough.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I'm all for comparisons with Europe. Let's have higher income tax, better pensions, more holidays, better transport and fewer expensive foreign wars.

I already pay a fortune in taxes! The thing is if Network Rail reduced the cost of doing of things (some of the stuff I read on here and in magazines is absurd) money would go a lot further on the rail network.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I already pay a fortune in taxes! The thing is if Network Rail reduced the cost of doing of things (some of the stuff I read on here and in magazines is absurd) money would go a lot further on the rail network.

Indeed. My point is merely that those who selectively quote what happens in Europe need to look at the bigger picture!

radamfi

Established Member
The basic fact is that the car is the only mode of transport that is respected in the UK, so a lack of PT on Christmas Day is considered acceptable. Countries like NL, CH, DE respect other modes like PT and cycling much more. If you want good transport, don't live in this country.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The basic fact is that the car is the only mode of transport that is respected in the UK, so a lack of PT on Christmas Day is considered acceptable. Countries like NL, CH, DE respect other modes like PT and cycling much more. If you want good transport, don't live in this country.

You are correct. In the UK the majority of the population see public transport as a low priority. It must also make money (or lose as little as possible) ,which is less of a concern on the continent.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Indeed. My point is merely that those who selectively quote what happens in Europe need to look at the bigger picture!

Agreed! Apart from the TGV's (which are excellent), the service on the rest of the SNCF really has gone down hill since I was inter railing 25 years a go and often the comparable service in the UK is much better. And from what I read SNCF Fret is such a shambles it’s no wonder that it’s hemorrhaging business.

radamfi

Established Member
Agreed! Apart from the TGV's (which are excellent), the service on the rest of the SNCF really has gone down hill since I was inter railing 25 years a go and often the comparable service in the UK is much better. And from what I read SNCF Fret is such a shambles it’s no wonder that it’s hemorrhaging business.

Why mention SNCF when there are several better countries that can be used for comparison? Anyone who knows anything about European trains knows that French railways are quite poor apart from TGVs and (maybe) suburban trains around Paris.

Jeremy B

I've travelled frequently inthe EC by rail & even more so since retiring. I don't think the grass is as green as some posters on this thread would have us believe.

deltic

Established Member
London Underground and London buses of course run a very comprehensive service on Boxing day and they are well used. Its clear that local rail services in London would also be well used.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I can only comment on the Ambulance services, but most of the Christmas rosters are worked out so that people with families are usually off for Christmas Day. I am told though that working Christmas Day is quite fun.

daikilo

Established Member
I have no interest in working either Christmas Day or Boxing Day as I rather spend it with family, no matter how much any company was prepared to pay.

I did, when my base pay was 795 Pounds, per year. I could go to midnight mass and be on time for duty at 0530. Indeed, for the right sum, I would do it today as the kids have left home and the grandchildren are on another continent. Christmas dinner v. Christmas lunch, it is what you make of it that matters.

Would I want to travel on public transport that day, if it allowed me to have a drink or two that I wouldn't otherwise be able to have, definitely.

Finally, regarding the one-day-in-the-year-we-are-sure-to-have-off brigade, as Christmas happens every year on the same day there is no reason for operators not to plan it well in advance so that those who want to be sure they can relax, can be sure.

Zoe

Established Member
What nonesense. Christmas Day is a religious holiday and was celebrated long before "consumerism" was even dreamt of let alone practiced. It was not forced on you by anyone.
Easter is a more significant event for Christians though and I don't see anyone suggesting that the network be shut down on Easter Sunday.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Why mention SNCF when there are several better countries that can be used for comparison? Anyone who knows anything about European trains knows that French railways are quite poor apart from TGVs and (maybe) suburban trains around Paris.

It’s been many years since I travelled extensively in Europe but I still travel in France reasonably frequently. Feel free to come up with better comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.