• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What does this signal mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi,

Quick question, I saw this sign placed shortly before Cottingham station:

emgindicator.gif

I identified it on railsigns as an Emergency indicator. Can someone tell me what it actually means however? There was also a temporary speed restriction in place if thats relevant.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Warning of an emergency speed restriction IIRC. It is emergency because it was not defined in the Weekly Operating Notice, and thus the driver is not expecting it. A temporary AWS inductor is fitted by it I think.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ahh, that would make sense. It disapeared today but the restrictions remain in place so they will have made it into the Weekly Operating Notice so it would no longer be unexpected.

Thanks.

vitesse

quite correct, it will be laid out like a normal temporary speed restriction with the addition of the emergency indicator before the warning board and an a permanent magney on approach to the emergency indicator in addition to the permanent magnet on approach to the warning board.

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
Also known as a "Dalek" and as Ralph says, it gives an advance warning to the driver of an Emergency Reduction Of Speed that has not had time to make it into the weekly operating notices.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ahh, that would make sense. It disapeared today but the restrictions remain in place so they will have made it into the Weekly Operating Notice so it would no longer be unexpected.

Thanks.

Correct, once published it then becomes a Temporary Speed Restriction (TSR) and as such the advance warning is no longer required.

GB

Established Member
Usually however long the ESR is out or once the ESR turns to a TSR.

Sir_Clagalot

They are called Daleks, but they signify entry into a possesion zone, there is also a red version I think for the exit (or the other way round!)

driver9000

Established Member
They are called Daleks, but they signify entry into a possesion zone, there is also a red version I think for the exit (or the other way round!)

I think your confusing these with worksite boards which show red for entry to a possession and yellow for exit.

Established Member
Its on the Network rail track at Pelaw signalling trains heading toward Newcastle. If you sit at the back of a South Hylton Metro you can see it when the Metro comes down the bank and joins the Durham Coast Line. Its probably half way between the Metro junction and Pelaw station approximately.

Right, will have to see if it is still there when I see it next time. Is it past the junction for the old Leamside line tracks? If it is before wonder if it has something to do with those points.

blue sabre

Right, will have to see if it is still there when I see it next time. Is it past the junction for the old Leamside line tracks? If it is before wonder if it has something to do with those points.

It appears to bo on the Pelaw side of the Leamside, with yellow speed markers not far from Heworth station.

Established Member
I see, trying to remember the track layout there. Might be something obvious when I have a visit.

blue sabre

I see, trying to remember the track layout there. Might be something obvious when I have a visit.

The line has been closed the last few Sundays for Maintainence, could it be linked with this? I asumed the work was further along towards Sunderland as the T&W Metro service between Pelaw and South Hylton has been suspended on the same days, but I guess if there is work along the full stretch then there may be a link?

Established Member
Might well be, although being at York means I'm out of the loop on stuff happening back home. I noticed that they've been replacing signalling in the area, so this might be related.

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
The line has been closed the last few Sundays for Maintainence, could it be linked with this? I asumed the work was further along towards Sunderland as the T&W Metro service between Pelaw and South Hylton has been suspended on the same days, but I guess if there is work along the full stretch then there may be a link?

The line closure is because Network Rail are replacing the overhead copper wires for the metro. As copper is a valuable metal it has been a target for theives, so apparently its being replaced.

Established Member
Saw that on the Nexus website. Remains to be seen if this will actually stop people stealing it, I bet there will be a few more attempts before the eejits realise that the stuff they are nicking is just about worthless.

blue sabre

The line closure is because Network Rail are replacing the overhead copper wires for the metro. As copper is a valuable metal it has been a target for theives, so apparently its being replaced.

Replaced with more copper?

There is a yellow board with an R on just after Heworth as you head from Pelaw, does that mark the end of the restriction? If so, it looks like it is just in place through Heworth station.

blue sabre

This is the story from the Nexus website, doesn't mention what it is, or why it couldn't be used in the first place, or even if the whole network will be replaced with it.

Could it be some kind of silicon or carbon based compound? Both can be conductive under the right circumstances. Sure someone on here can shed some light on it?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The R board on the platform end will be a Reminder board to the drivers that a restriction is in place either there or ahead.

Ah right, wasn't sure exactly what that meant (as I'm sure you noticed!)

Last edited:

Established Member
Could it be some kind of silicon or carbon based compound? Both can be conductive under the right circumstances. Sure someone on here can shed some light on it?

That sounds familiar, think I read it being some sort of compound in the local newspaper.

Established Member
Bringing this back up, went past today and it is still in place, with the Dalek and other signs. Seems to have been there a while with no obvious work taking place on that section of track.

Tomnick

Established Member
I'm surprised the Dalek's not been removed - surely it'll have been published in the notices by now! Are you sure it's not a new restriction in the same place?

Status
Not open for further replies.