• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the most dismal un-passenger friendly large railway station in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Worcester Foregate Street, which has been mentioned above, is fun because it is not a double track station, it is two parallel single tracks. It is therefore possible but probably unlikely to get a double departure from both platforms at the same time going in the same direction.

Once when I was moaning about WMR putting a two car set on a late night train to Worcester Shrub Hill. I said it was presumably on the basis that nobody wanted to go to Shrub Hill but what about the 14 stations between Birmingham and Worcester via Stourbridge. A fellow passenger said that Shrub Hill was like the TV programme 'Pointless'. (There will probably now be a backlash from those who actually use Shrub Hill.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
Preston - whilst the whole shed looks pretty and all that its just a windswept cold corner of Lancashire that really needs something better than the crap footbridge and subway to move around the platforms.

Totally agree that Preston station is a cold and draughty place, but it does have footbridge subway stairs ramp and lifts, not sure what else you expect.

Clip

Established Member
Totally agree that Preston station is a cold and draughty place, but it does have footbridge subway stairs ramp and lifts, not sure what else you expect.

The footbridge to 5/6 is totally unsuitable during peak periods and even outside of them it seems people are unable to decide which side they want to walk on and the subway just adds to the doom and gloom.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It could do with improved retail, but as (unlike say Bristol TM) it is right next to the city centre this is far less of an issue than it is at some stations. Other than that I quite like the place, though probably more due to childhood and teenage positive memories.

VT 390

Established Member
I agree about New Street had to go from 10b to 4 and had to ask for directions and go through 2 sets of barriers

If you were at the B end you should not have had to go through any sets of barriers as all the platforms are connected quite well, it is only the A end at which you should have pass through the two sets of barriers.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Indeed it is, but it's a million times less dismal than before the rebuild in the early 2000's.
This is true, but it's astonishing to think that in under 20 years all that added capacity has been used up and it's more congested than ever. There was also relatively little improvement to the pedestrian capacity of the station, leading to scrums round the gateline and on the stairs*. As much as I appreciate the Starbucks on the bridge, the whole bridge really needs de-cluttering. The P9-11 island is too narrow, too.

*=doesn't help that many of my fellow Yorkshire folk seem unable or unwilling to keep left in corridors or on stairwells. See also the P1 staircase to the subway at Huddersfield.

Preston station for the reasons mentioned earlier. Plus - Whenever I have booked passenger assistance for my mother- Who is in a wheelchair, No one has turned up to assist. The last time we visited we had to lift my mum from the train as the conductor refused to lift her-Health and safety reasons he said. No ramp could be put down either as the driver stopped next to some railings, I hope some one will assist at 12.50 am when we board the sleeper in September.

vlad

If you were at the B end you should not have had to go through any sets of barriers as all the platforms are connected quite well, it is only the A end at which you should have pass through the two sets of barriers.

True - but then if New Street were easy to navigate you wouldn't have to say that as it would be obvious.

philthetube

Established Member
Preston station for the reasons mentioned earlier. Plus - Whenever I have booked passenger assistance for my mother- Who is in a wheelchair, No one has turned up to assist. The last time we visited we had to lift my mum from the train as the conductor refused to lift her-Health and safety reasons he said. No ramp could be put down either as the driver stopped next to some railings, I hope some one will assist at 12.50 am when we board the sleeper in September.
I wouldn't lift a passenger either.

Hardly the drivers fault about the railings, he/she would not be aware that a ramp was to be used, or the precise alignment of the doors.

Use assistance for my Mother frequently, and have used it myself once when on crutches, never had a problem.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Particularly cold and draughty on a dank November evening when your London train is hours late because of a derailment up near Lancaster AND you've just got married that afternoon.

6Gman

Established Member
I always found Warrington bank quay pretty awful when I travelled to the north west a good few years back. Cold windswept platforms with a very depressing view and unpleasant underpasses. Don't know if things have improved since though.

And those weird noises from the soap factory.

:D

nottsnurse

Surely this thread begins and ends with the dark pit of despair that is Birmingham New Street?

mlambeuk

Another vote for Leeds i find quite congested even at off peak times

York although a nice station i find the exit leading towards Scarborough bridge (via the short stay car park) a bit risky at times .

DuncanS

Another vote for Birmingham New Street - an awful train station that they seem to have bizarrely left in a dreadful state for passengers whilst they built a shopping centre on top of it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
But it isn't a pit of despair any more. Other than platform level it's quite a nice station, albeit with some layout issues that were difficult to avoid.

Yes, but the platform is "where the magic happens" i.e the business of catching trains.

I'd happily take a Preston or a Bristol Temple Meads over New Street any day.

yoyothehobo

They are however about to transform York station frontage so you dont get immediately mown down by taxis and buses as you exit the station and they are going to move the short stay to the current long stay area near to platform one. Tearoom square will also be pedestrianised.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, but the platform is "where the magic happens" i.e the business of catching trains.

I'd happily take a Preston or a Bristol Temple Meads over New Street any day.

Whereas I'd take New St any day, because it has an excellent range of facilities. These days I route myself that way deliberately to stop off for food and drink, either to take on with me or to eat there depending on connection times. I don't hang around on the platform, I go down when RTT shows me the train is going to arrive (though someone else pointed out upthread that the PIS now shows this too) and board immediately.

xotGD

Established Member
Whereas I'd take New St any day, because it has an excellent range of facilities. These days I route myself that way deliberately to stop off for food and drink, either to take on with me or to eat there depending on connection times. I don't hang around on the platform, I go down when RTT shows me the train is going to arrive (though someone else pointed out upthread that the PIS now shows this too) and board immediately.
So if it wasn't for the awful experience of boarding and alighting from trains, it would be a good station. It isn't a shopping centre or a food court, it is a station. It has a primary function. In that function, it provides an awful experience. It is an awful station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So if it wasn't for the awful experience of boarding and alighting from trains, it would be a good station. It isn't a shopping centre or a food court, it is a station. It has a primary function. In that function, it provides an awful experience. It is an awful station.

I don't think the experience of boarding or alighting trains is unpleasant at all. The platforms are not nice to hang around on, but then nor are those at Euston, or Manchester Pic P13/14, or a load of other stations. Quite a lot of stations, New St being no exception, are designed for you to hang around somewhere other than the platforms until your train has either arrived or will do very shortly, or the service is very high frequency - Liverpool Central is hardly much different apart from the DMU fumes.

TheNekomancer

I find Nottingham station quite unintuitive. Last time I was there, information was very hard to come by.

takno

Established Member
New Street really isn't bad at all now. The platforms are massively more open than they were 10 years ago, and there's plenty of space, seats and access to food up above, with a lot to do or see within a few yards of the station if you have some extra time. Obviously it's not ideal that the barriers got dumped into the project at the last minute, but even they aren't nearly as confusing or frankly inconvenient as people seem to be making out. It's definitely better than St Pancras, which is large, bewildering and hides all the trains people actually use in tunnels or in the nasty lean-to.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't think the experience of boarding or alighting trains is unpleasant at all. The platforms are not nice to hang around on, but then nor are those at Euston, or Manchester Pic P13/14, or a load of other stations. Quite a lot of stations, New St being no exception, are designed for you to hang around somewhere other than the platforms until your train has either arrived or will do very shortly, or the service is very high frequency - Liverpool Central is hardly much different apart from the DMU fumes.

Actually, the terminal platforms at Man Pic are very pleasent to wait on. I've often had a stroll up and down while waiting for a train.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
New Street really isn't bad at all now. The platforms are massively more open than they were 10 years ago, and there's plenty of space, seats and access to food up above, with a lot to do or see within a few yards of the station if you have some extra time. Obviously it's not ideal that the barriers got dumped into the project at the last minute, but even they aren't nearly as confusing or frankly inconvenient as people seem to be making out. It's definitely better than St Pancras, which is large, bewildering and hides all the trains people actually use in tunnels or in the nasty lean-to.

Things could be improved at StP, but I do find the Midland Mainline platforms easy enough to use.

Statto

Established Member
Actually, the terminal platforms at Man Pic are very pleasent to wait on. I've often had a stroll up and down while waiting for a train.

I agree with that, the main part of Piccadilly isn't that bad, it's just P13 & P14, which are not only narrow but on a curve, front of P13 & rear of P14 can be a nightmare to board/alight trains because of that gap.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

They are, but if P13/14 was a station in its own right I would be flagging it up as the worst in the country. I can't think of a single railway project in the UK at the moment that is more justified than the additional P15/16 island platform.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I agree with that, the main part of Piccadilly isn't that bad, it's just P13 & P14, which are not only narrow but on a curve, front of P13 & rear of P14 can be a nightmare to board/alight trains because of that gap.

They are, but if P13/14 was a station in its own right I would be flagging it up as the worst in the country. I can't think of a single railway project in the UK at the moment that is more justified than the additional P15/16 island platform.

Yes, 13 and 14 are too crowded and let the station down. That said, at least they have natural light !

AndrewE

Established Member
I was there last week and there were a couple of puzzled-looking oriental girls at the west end of pfm 14 who kept looking at the nearest departure board. They said they were looking for the airport train (shown as departing from 14!) so I suggested they leg it to the far end. Their train overtook them after they had gone about 100 yards.
With a platform that long on a curve (and which is signed as split a and b) it is outrageous that the departure boards can't show 13b or 14a.

Parallel

Established Member
Here are my thoughts on some of the larger stations:

Cardiff Central - Good layout but looking very tired
Bristol Temple Meads - Dirty,
dark and run down, concourse area is small and very busy, only nice platform is platform 3
Chester - Not an over passenger friendly layout really, and not a fan of the copper. The platforms are always very clean
Sheffield - Not bad
Euston - Small concourse with inadequate waiting facilities/seating
Crewe - I find this station very pleasant
Birmingham New St - Not a fan of the platforms, the concourse area on the ‘a’ side is confusing but a lot better than it used to be.
Plymouth - Dreadful

DanTrain

Sheffield - Not bad
Cold is what I always think...platforms are somewhat windswept, waiting rooms barely heated and the nice warm coffee shops close at 7pm...just when it's getting colder :rolleyes:. Other than that it's fairly decent (other than the almost permenant stench of diesel fumes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.