• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to do with an old Pacer

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Did a bit more research, Northern have apparently been refreshing the North East pacers since Feb 13 so no idea what it was doing on this side of the pennines, it had obviously been refreshed recently.

They said they would be doing 50 with each taking two weeks so approx 100 weeks later would mean finishing around now. I think it was number 142043.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Yes. They sometimes appear on Manchester area services and have been doing for the past 10 years but there's only a small fleet of them so aren't a common site.
Small fleet, eh? ;) There's only four less of them than there are bench-seated units (29 versus 33, off the top of my head). :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just looking at the photo you linked to they did used to have overhead luggage racks on both sides, I was wondering that when I travelled on one a few weeks ago and noticed it only had luggage racks on one side.
Funnily enough I clocked that on a Pacer I was on during Saturday, and was thinking the exact same thing about them only having luggage racks on the one side.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Is there any engineers trains purposes they could serve, maybe a mobile messroom perhaps?

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Small fleet, eh? ;) There's only four less of them than there are bench-seated units (29 versus 33, off the top of my head). :p

I meant there's only ever a small fleet of those type of 142s at Newton Heath which might explain how Watcherzero may have been catching 142s on a regular basis in the Manchester area for the past 10 years but never caught one of those before.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I meant there's only ever a small fleet of those type of 142s at Newton Heath which might explain how Watcherzero may have been catching 142s on a regular basis in the Manchester area for the past 10 years but never caught one of those before.
Fair point, carry on. :oops:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Yes usually a pair of bench seat pacers or a sprinter, occasionally seats but never ridden a converted one before, what surprised me more though was the refresh.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Did a bit more research, Northern have apparently been refreshing the North East pacers since Feb 13 so no idea what it was doing on this side of the pennines, it had obviously been refreshed recently.

The 142s do get switched around between west and east diagrams. Merseytravel 142s can turn up on services in Lincolnshire and Cumbria.

backontrack

Established Member
If Serco had been awarded the ECML, they'd have probably ended up running between LGX and Edinburgh.

Seriously, couple about 18 together, convert and modify, blah blah blah...

...Circle Line. <D <D <D

Even better, run them non-stop so that the passengers are subject to an endless sub-surface purgatory taking place on the long-fought over territory of the former Metropolitan District Railway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.