• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to do with an old Pacer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Murph

That would raise some questions... Such as why the Army is training to attack passenger buses and trains?

With the Pacers, there's a good excuse to practice. It might be needed if Uncle Sam decides to spread freedom into a certain Middle Eastern republic, and the Pacers there have been weaponised. ;)

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
With the Pacers, there's a good excuse to practice. It might be needed if Uncle Sam decides to spread freedom into a certain Middle Eastern republic, and the Pacers there have been weaponised. ;)

Why not weaponise the Pacers over here? If a Pacer war starts we're sure to win as we have loads!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Camping trains (like what I believe used to be converted MK1s in sidings at small country stations)

leytongabriel

How about sending a few down to help out on the GOBLIN line in rush hours? I know we had hysterics when they were suggested by Silverlink way back when but it would be better than being left standing on platforms and might even make a few of the 'make bloody southerners use them' crew feel a bit happier. Oh and I guess we'd need a few guards back too ;) to operate them. Win, win, win, he said naively.

Or cut the tops off and have IOW open-top summer services. Might just squeeze through the tunnel.

Last edited:

PeterY

Established Member
I must get around to riding on a pacer one day, just for the fun of it.

pemma

Veteran Member
I must get around to riding on a pacer one day, just for the fun of it.

If you want to do the full Pacer experience try getting a Chester bound service from Manchester (not in the other direction), that way you'll get a considerable amount of 60-75mph running, some 15mph running round a tight corner near Navigation Road (earplugs at the ready), bouncing over some farmer's crossings in the Lostock Gralam area and being limited to 15mph over Leftwich viaduct due to not being properly bogied and running over a viaduct with subsidence in the area.

Tobbes

Established Member
Surely the only answer to the question is from Bill & Ben in the Awdry stories..... "if we push them off the end of the quay, it'll make a big splash"! :)

Wolfie

Established Member
How about sending a few down to help out on the GOBLIN line in rush hours? I know we had hysterics when they were suggested by Silverlink way back when but it would be better than being left standing on platforms and might even make a few of the 'make bloody southerners use them' crew feel a bit happier. Oh and I guess we'd need a few guards back too ;) to operate them. Win, win, win, he said naively.

I don't think Boris would want them on his train set.... not quite the new, modern image that LO projects...

Or cut the tops off and have IOW open-top summer services. Might just squeeze through the tunnel.

Hum, that would do wonders for their structural soundness which, if you believe many on this forum, is marginal (at least in the case of the 142s) as it is...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I wonder what the reaction would be if a company were to buy a fleet of life expired buses of advanced years in age and suggest refitting internally and obtaining less aged engines, would there be any queries raised with the use of the existing bodyshells?

Wolfie

Established Member
I wonder what the reaction would be if a company were to buy a fleet of life expired buses of advanced years in age and suggest refitting internally and obtaining less aged engines, would there be any queries raised with the use of the existing bodyshells?

A slightly artificial analagy for three reasons:
a The supply of buses is markedly greater than that of trains (which makes the value of spares stripped from broken up vehicles potentially higher also);

b In general trains don't suffer the sort of battering in traffic/potholes etc that buses do;

c Buses are built with a much shorter expected/design life.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member

All buses have to have a low floor by 2020.
Bodyshells of old buses are awkward to alter and are metal, newer buses are often built of fibre glass.
So they have limited value other than for short term stopgap services.

quarella

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Lancs_Greenway

As a bus or train it is difficult to kill off a Leyland National.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We are getting contradictory information. THere are often postings on here that Northern Rail trains, especially Pacers are always overcrowded but then, in this thread there are comments about the bouncy ride. A fully loaded Pacer does not bounce. Also we should consider the track they work over may not be to the standard of say the West Coast Main Line.

One thing I will say for them is that while on newer stock the "Computer says no" and it is game over on more than one occasion I have been grateful for a 142/3's ability to limp on.

quarella

I think the Nationals and Greenways that are left on the road are in the hands of preservationists now.

Pacers may well be the last examples in regular service.

You are probably right. It amazes me that when the first Leyland Nationals rolled off the production line the Morris Minor was still available, and the Greenway conversion to the actual body was not really necessary as in no way did it look outdated.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Lancs_Greenway

As a bus or train it is difficult to kill off a Leyland National.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We are getting contradictory information. THere are often postings on here that Northern Rail trains, especially Pacers are always overcrowded but then, in this thread there are comments about the bouncy ride. A fully loaded Pacer does not bounce. Also we should consider the track they work over may not be to the standard of say the West Coast Main Line.

One thing I will say for them is that while on newer stock the "Computer says no" and it is game over on more than one occasion I have been grateful for a 142/3's ability to limp on.

I've been on a Pacer back from Rotherham Central.
It was delayed due to loading and was completely packed then it shot off and bounced along it's route to Doncaster. ;)

quarella

I've been on a Pacer back from Rotherham Central.
It was delayed due to loading and was completely packed then it shot off and bounced along it's route to Doncaster. ;)

Maybe Bristol TM - Weston-super-Mare was smoother track but before refurbishment which could say something about the state of the springs the 1700 Wales and West train to Taunton totally wedged would be a comfortable ride.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Maybe Bristol TM - Weston-super-Mare was smoother track but before refurbishment which could say something about the state of the springs the 1700 Wales and West train to Taunton totally wedged would be a comfortable ride.

The track is far from smooth on that line, many steep and curvy sections. And the juctions ofcourse.
The main flaw with Pacers is simple, the wheels are too far apart.

RobShipway

Established Member
I have experienced class 142 pacers in my time and I must confess I preferred the ride of 141002 that is on the Weardale Railway, although even that was a bit bumpy.

matacaster

On Moderation

In the case of trolleybuses, many built in the 1920's were completely rebodied a couple of times and still in service in 1960's. The electric traction package and chassis were bombproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.