• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What train is this? (Old BR Advert)

Status
Not open for further replies.

centraltrains

There is the old BR - NSE Advert advertising the Network Railcard. (One of my favourite ads!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzIIFR2ZeLE

I have asked some of my friends and they reckon it is at Richmond station which I very confident that it is but none of us can work out the train.

The line it is on suggests its a class 313 however some of the features make me think that it is not. The advert shows grills at the end of some of the coaches and I can't find any photos online showing 313s with grills apart from on the advert! Maybe these were removed?

Also the train on the advert clearly shows handles on the outside of the train and the only train I can find images of handles on are 455s. Wikipedia said that 313s use to have handle bars but replaced them with buttons but I am not sure how much to trust wikipedia.

So if any help in identifying this train would be most appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Definitely 455s. the near-vertical sides and the ridged roof are the big clues that it's a Mark 3-based EMU, not a PEP-design!

lewisf

It's definitely not a 313, if the ad was shot at Richmond then it will be a 455 although the vents at the carriage ends have now been plated over.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Its mk3 based. Narrows it down to 455, 319, 321, 210.

Dont think the 210 ever made it into NSE colours, and as its rebuild into the 316 contained distinctive lettering on the side I cannot see wether this train featured that, so 316 999 is a possibility.

Cant see any OHLE. Rules out 321, plus some 319 amd 321 fleets had a light grey base. Rules them out.

Can therefore only be 455. Probably south western lines and routes out of waterloo but again cant see the 507 trailer so its not a 7, And I dont recall the 9's having those big vents either, having said that its been 10 years since I have been in 3rd rail territory! So narrows it down to the first series. 455/8 IMHO

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
I'm going in with a Mk3 unit that none of you have suggested.

Class 442.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Did anyone notice a dark area on the roof of the last (or first) car of the unit on the left of the screen at around 8-10 secs. into the video? It's also visible later in the clip.

hwl

Established Member
455/8 at Richmond station on the p4/5 island (building in the background at 11s and 20s together with the station iron work).

The majority of the top of the grills were covered thin sheet not too long afterwards the grab handles survived a bit longer though.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Did 455s ever have grills that large then as I can only find ones with rather small ones!

They did; the reason for shrinking them down was because they were sucking in too many leaves and other debris which would then appear sticking in the vents in the ceilings inside the carriages. I remember it well.

Dstock7080

Established Member
455/8 at Richmond station on the p4/5 island (building in the background at 11s and 20s together with the station iron work).
Little difficult to recreate that video now, if the 455s are to run under their own power.

D365

Veteran Member
pfft! There's a big difference between "mk 3 based MU family" and "MU based on actual Mk3 coaches"

I challenge you to find me a topic in which a 442 could not, under any circumstance, be an eventual solution or conclusion :lol:

D Foster

Back then - when the sliding doors were new...
One friend who worked in the City reckoned that unwary commuters on the new-style seating could get dumped onto the floor from the gangway seats when the units went through a crossover at speed.
The barrier staff and guards at Waterloo loved the ability to close the doors and leave in one shot. The days of passengers strolling toward the front and then leaping for a door as the train began to roll simply ended overnight.
I notice that the ad said nothing about the card only being available after 10.00...

jon0844

Veteran Member
OT, but the '01' London phone number brought back some memories...
Yeah, and the following mess that followed - 01 to 071 and 081 then 0171 and 0181 and then 020 7 and 020 8.

Being a sign writer in London was a good business for a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.