• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What travel is currently allowed by the legislation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't really agree with the use of the word "essential", for example someone visiting their family outdoors might not be "essential" in the same way that going on shift at the hospital is, but can be good for the wellbeing of both parties and is covered by the guidance.

"Only travel if you have no alternative" would be more accurate IMO.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Are TPE conducting revenue checks on trains then (presumably using RPIs?) or just at stations? Seems an unnecessary point of conflict if they're checking on train because there's no way to avoid getting within 2m of someone if you're checking their ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't really agree with the use of the word "essential", for example someone visiting their family outdoors might not be "essential" in the same way that going on shift at the hospital is, but can be good for the wellbeing of both parties and is covered by the guidance.

"Only travel if you have no alternative" would be more accurate IMO.
I compltely agree; the term "essential travel only" is a total misnomer and open to incorrect interpretations.
Are TPE conducting revenue checks on trains then (presumably using RPIs?) or just at stations? Seems an unnecessary point of conflict if they're checking on train because there's no way to avoid getting within 2m of someone if you're checking their ticket.
On stations only

james60059

I was looking at doing a Rail Rover in a couple of weeks, but I guess I'll have to put it on hold for the time being, and make do with doing lineside photography - which of course is now permitted under guidelines - well going by the recent influx of gen messages on various groups I'm assuming that's now the case :lol:.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I was looking at doing a Rail Rover in a couple of weeks, but I guess I'll have to put it on hold for the time being, and make do with doing lineside photography - which of course is now permitted under guidelines - well going by the recent influx of gen messages on various groups I'm assuming that's now the case :lol:.

Of course it's perfectly legal to buy a rail rover at the moment, so long as, in your opinion, your travel is "essential". I can see why you might not want to, given the limitations on what's open, but it's still possible.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Of course it's perfectly legal to buy a rail rover at the moment, so long as, in your opinion, your travel is "essential". I can see why you might not want to, given the limitations on what's open, but it's still possible.
Any further discussion of this needs to take place in a different thread though; I'd suggest the Trip Planning section. I'll post a reply if a new thread is made but what I'd like to say would be off topic for this thread so I won't reply here.

james60059

Any further discussion of this needs to take place in a different thread though; I'd suggest the Trip Planning section. I'll post a reply if a new thread is made but what I'd like to say would be off topic for this thread so I won't reply here.

I've dipped my toe in the water and started one in that section :smile:

northernchris

Established Member
According to Northern day trips are not essential travel and you should not be travelling

The move comes after an increase in people using trains to get to the seaside and other beauty spots at a time when only essential journeys should be made. And, with social distancing on trains meaning capacity is down by 85 per cent, the operator is asking all passengers to leave space for those who need it most.

Sadly, last weekend, as temperatures soared so did passenger numbers across the north of England to destinations such as Blackpool, Hope Valley and Saltburn.

Tony Baxter, Regional Director for Northern, said: “We know the temptation is there to jump on the train and head to some of the fantastic destinations the north east has to offer, and in ordinary circumstance we would welcome everyone onto the railway.

“But we are still being affected by the coronavirus pandemic and, as a result of social distancing measures, capacity on Northern’s trains is significantly reduced.

“We are still advising people to use public transport only if no other options are available and if the journey is essential. The space we have on our trains should be left for those who need to make vital journeys.”

Tony added: “Destinations across the north of England will still be there to be enjoyed when the country recovers from coronavirus and I ask everyone to show a little more patience and take a little more time to consider if they absolutely have to travel by train.”

Northern is operating reduced timetables due to the coronavirus crisis and, where services do operate, capacity on trains will be significantly reduced as measures have been put in place to help people keep their distance.

Anyone who needs to make an essential journey should wear a mask, leave extra time for travel and check times carefully as services may be subject to further amendments and delays.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Northern day trips are not essential travel and you should not be travelling

"Warning" - Warning for what? It's not like they can stop people traveling for reasons in the guidelines.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
"Warning" - Warning for what? It's not like they can stop people traveling for reasons in the guidelines.
They can ask people to consider other modes of transport; they can even ask people who do not have access to other modes of transport to consider not making the journey at all. But if the passenger is acting lawfully, Northern cannot prevent them travelling.

Edit: Just a gentle reminder this thread is specifically about what travel is allowed by the legislation. We have nearly 300 threads in this section; if anyone wishes to discuss anything else please use the most appropriate thread. If there is no existing thread please make a new one. If in doubt please contact us.

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member

"My trip to somewhere different is essential for my mental health and well being after having been effectively locked down for nearly three months. I have considered but do not have access to another form of transport." JOB DONE.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
"My trip to somewhere different is essential for my mental health and well being after having been effectively locked down for nearly three months. I have considered but do not have access to another form of transport." JOB DONE.

A strange press release. The headline reads "Taking a day trip is not essential" but looking down the rest of the piece Tony Baxter, Northern's spokesperson doesn't actually say that!

So, if you consider a day trip on a Northern train to somewhere nice to be essential for your physical or mental well-being, you are still perfectly entitled to do so.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
TFW punters complain that Cardiff Valley services conveying a lot of drunks and youngsters with their bikes with no idea of social distancing.

Enthusiast

So, if you consider a day trip on a Northern train to somewhere nice to be essential for your physical or mental well-being, you are still perfectly entitled to do so.
And even if you just fancy a day out, you are still entitled to travel. Since last Monday you no longer need a "reasonable excuse" to go out (which was where
the promotion of your "... physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing" malarkey came into play). Now you only need a reasonable excuse to stay away from home overnight. So unless you're booking the Caledonian Sleeper (which I doubt is currently operating) a day trip to Skeggy needs no justification.

83G/84D

Established Member
It looks like the DfT wish GWR to run a full service on all lines from next month according to a briefing seen today. It’s unclear if this is achievable as there are apparently challenges for GWR & Network Rail to meet to accomplish this.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
In my experience the questioning of reasons for travel has (rightly) stopped and I've not been asked any questions about reason for travel when doing so

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
In my experience the questioning of reasons for travel has (rightly) stopped and I've not been asked any questions about reason for travel when doing so

TTFW and GWR still emphasising that travel is for essential purposes only

Bikeman78

Established Member
TFW punters complain that Cardiff Valley services conveying a lot of drunks and youngsters with their bikes with no idea of social distancing.
This is hardly surprising given that 99% of the stations are unstaffed and ungated. I'd be surprised if anyone has a ticket unless they are going to Central, Queen St, Cathays or Pontypridd.

1D54

I caught a train on the Hope Valley last Saturday between Man Picc and Sheffield. Train manager made an announcement just before departure saying 'this service is for essential travel only and not for day trippers heading to Edale'

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I caught a train on the Hope Valley last Saturday between Man Picc and Sheffield. Train manager made an announcement just before departure saying 'this service is for essential travel only and not for day trippers heading to Edale'

So Bamford or Hathersage would have been okay? ;)

Out of interest, what were passenger loadings like? I undestand they've been running as 2x150s on the Hope Valley; was there enough space for you to social distance?

Class195

I had my ticket checked on my TPE the other day.

1D54

So Bamford or Hathersage would have been okay? ;)

Out of interest, what were passenger loadings like? I undestand they've been running as 2x150s on the Hope Valley; was there enough space for you to social distance?
2× 150 with seating in one coach (in front unit) with the not in use covers and the other coach with no restrictions. Plenty of room though for social distancing.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I suppose you can see using a train once to improve mental health as essential: just use the quietest way and times possible. Especially now the weather in the UK has turned a little and people aren't frequenting the beaches anymore. Maybe, as I've suggested in other threads, just use a train between two stations very close to each other and only one-way so you can walk the other way. Leave your car at/near the origin station.

Class195

Where abouts was that? I've used a few TPE services in the north west of late and haven't had any on train checks

Between Leeds and York. It's the only time out of four journeys it's happened mind. The conductor was 110% professional when carrying out the checks.

A couple of people had removed the red tickets from the top of the seats and all sat together.

LowLevel

Established Member
Wearing a mask has it's benefits, the walkers can't see you scowling at them :lol: In all honesty as long as people behave I don't care. We still have the position that if the crew aren't happy with their working conditions they can refuse to board the train but otherwise on the ground we are largely getting on with it. I am being my usual friendly self as creating animosity doesn't make the day go any faster. I have made a point of saying hello to people from behind my mask as I pass their seats so as not to look like I'm just grumpily stomping about.

The last time I saw BTP questioning travel was last Saturday evening and they did book someone for breaching lock down so presumably they gave a particularly poor answer (they were quite clearly being done for breaching the lock down rather than any travel reason).

Enthusiast

I suppose you can see using a train once to improve mental health as essential:
But (in England) you do not have to justify the reason for your journey, least of all using the "physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing" nonsense that prevailed up to last Monday. The only restriction on your movements is that "No person may, without reasonable excuse, stay overnight at any place other than the place where they are living." You can otherwise go where you like by whatever method you choose. The TOCs have introduced this "essential travel only" stipulation contrary to the legislation. This question is entitled "What travel is currently allowed by the legislation?" And the answer (in England) is any travel you like.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
But (in England) you do not have to justify the reason for your journey, least of all using the "physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing" nonsense that prevailed up to last Monday. The only restriction on your movements is that "No person may, without reasonable excuse, stay overnight at any place other than the place where they are living." You can otherwise go where you like by whatever method you choose. The TOCs have introduced this "essential travel only" stipulation contrary to the legislation. This question is entitled "What travel is currently allowed by the legislation?" And the answer (in England) is any travel you like.

I know that, you know that but do BTP and station staff?

What would you say if someone at a station ticket barrier asked you the purpose of your journey, as saying "it's none of your business, I'm allowed to make any journey I like" might be perceived as a bit inflammatory?

greyman42

Established Member
Youngsters have not been anti social distancing for about three months and I don't blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.