• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whats the up coming timetable changes to Southern/Gatwick Express?

LudwigTails

So far the changes I have heard that is more noticeable to Southern as follows:
the ones with ? is i am unsure.

387s (dunno would they be /1 or /2) will appear more frequent on the west coastway route?
Brighton to Hove shuttle to be reduced to be only Sunday only
GX are finally going to get back 12 carriages on weekday + Saturday running?
I heard also that (some) 387/1s are coming to Southern (would it be with southern right when the timetable changes happen?)

Are there anymore major changes thats going to happen?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarrotPie

387s (dunno would they be /1 or /2) will appear more frequent on the west coastway route?
I heard also that (some) 387/1s are coming to Southern (would it be with southern right when the timetable changes happen?)

There's more info here and here.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

The thread about additional units (379s) for GTR mentions that the first doesn't arrive until October, it’s not going to change anything in June. You’re probably 6 months too early for that to filter through to diagramming.

Also, the West Coastway only sees two 387/1s from June, according to posts in the dedicated thread about the fairly significant SN timetable changes on that specific area of route. A diagram in post #166 attempts to show where the different sub-classes will eventually be used:

(Although there’s also a limited amount of info about it buried in the national June timetable thread, already linked by @CarrotPie).

Last edited:

CarrotPie

All of these are correct, good to see the Hove shuttle is gone, bit pointless IMO

LudwigTails

The thread about additional units (379s) for GTR mentions that the first doesn't arrive until October, it’s not going to change anything in June. You’re probably 6 months too early for that to filter through to diagramming.

Also, the West Coastway only sees two 387/1s from June, according to posts in the dedicated thread about the fairly significant SN timetable changes on that specific area of route. A diagram in post #166 attempts to show where the different sub-classes will eventually be used:

(Although there’s also a limited amount of info about it buried in the national June timetable thread, already linked by @CarrotPie).

for some reason it seems to show an error when i click the links in post 166

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
for some reason it seems to show an error when i click the links in post 166
Yes they got reloaded by NR under new links, they’re reposted in post #183, the individual parts of the track access application are posted as pdf attachments. Having said all that they don’t tell you much more than you‘d get from reading the thread.

Jan Mayen

I'm under the impression Gatwick Express will be upto 12 carriages. Presumably some will be 4 or 8.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I'm under the impression Gatwick Express will be upto 12 carriages. Presumably some will be 4 or 8.
The current formations of 8 cars run round with fresh air most of the day so they don't need strengthening to 12. Plenty of other routes in the Southern area that can make use of the stock

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Are you suggesting that no one travels from Victoria to Brighton now?
Certainly not but i use the Brighton Line and spend plenty of time on platform 1 at E.Croydon to observe how well loaded GX are and then see the following Southern behind stopping at ECR coming in far more busy.

LudwigTails

The current formations of 8 cars run round with fresh air most of the day so they don't need strengthening to 12. Plenty of other routes in the Southern area that can make use of the stock
to be fair the last time i rode gatwick from brighton to victoria, the 12 car capacity could be useful on gatwick runs, everytime i stop at gatwick (in terms of week days) a lot of people gets onboard the train and almost every seat is filled. So it aint really dead air. But it is dead air when its only running from london to gatwick and back. (And its kinda fun tbf, you just have an entire train to yourself lmao).

Minstral25

Established Member

I'd dispute that, as someone who regularly goes from Redhill to Brighton, the GatEx from Gatwick to Brighton normally arrive Gatwick relatively full and depart same - normally when I use at least half of seats will be taken - depending on time of day of course but mid-afternoon before peak and again just after peak when I travel they are often very full.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'd dispute that, as someone who regularly goes from Redhill to Brighton, the GatEx from Gatwick to Brighton normally arrive Gatwick relatively full and depart same - normally when I use at least half of seats will be taken - depending on time of day of course but mid-afternoon before peak and again just after peak when I travel they are often very full.
It empty more when I travel on them but that is usually in the evening after 8 pm.