• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your favourite diesel train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kneedown

Established Member
I think @Kneedown is likely referring to the original cab interior and drivers instrumentation/switchgear as they have been substantially updated since they were originally introduced.

Indeed Sir. The original cab design was a straightforward one, with all controls easily identifiable. With the refurbished version a lot of the indicator lights and buttons all look the same. This is exacerbated with differences in location of lights and buttons between VP185 and MTU powered versions. Basically, these days you have to look closely to ensure you press the correct button. Well I do anyway!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
56 was 16 cylinder, 58 had 12 cylinder version.

58 had a completely different engine which owed more to Sulzer technology than EE.
After the fiasco of the class 48 engines, and lack of market interest in the more powerful unit installed in Kestrel, Sulzer shut down its locomotive engine business and sold the technology of its V-engines to GEC. Some of this was used in designing the RK engine series, as used in the 58 - notably the cylinder heads

randyrippley

Established Member
I think 56s look similar to a 47, well Brush. Mind you I thought the pinnacle of that modern two window shape slightly pointed was the class 35 Hymek. It makes me think the whole exterior was carefully designed to look right. Just like the Westerns but with a totally different basis.

The Hymeks, Falcon, Lion and the class 47 all derived their looks from the same design brief. The same agency worked on the 50 as well, but most of their input was overruled. The Hymeks were the first design, the rest followed from that. I've forgotten the name of the agency -I'm sure someone else remembers?

On Moderation
The Hymeks, Falcon, Lion and the class 47 all derived their looks from the same design brief. The same agency worked on the 50 as well, but most of their input was overruled. The Hymeks were the first design, the rest followed from that. I've forgotten the name of the agency -I'm sure someone else remembers?
Was it Wilkes and Ashmore?

Kurolus Rex

I'd probably say a Class 180. Noisy even when idling. Sound very powerful under power with that distinctive shreeking sound alongside the bassy sound of a powerful diesel engine.

158s are definitely up there too though.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Indeed Sir. The original cab design was a straightforward one, with all controls easily identifiable. With the refurbished version a lot of the indicator lights and buttons all look the same. This is exacerbated with differences in location of lights and buttons between VP185 and MTU powered versions. Basically, these days you have to look closely to ensure you press the correct button. Well I do anyway!

I always find it interesting to learn about these things from the drivers perspective, even just to the interested layman such as myself it's quite clear when studying comparative shots of original and current that there doesn't appear to be much remaining of the original fittings, thanks!

AC47461

Locos:
Class 37s by far, especially in large logo blue or Dutch yellow/grey - tons of great memories of haulage from them, around Scotland especially.
Class 47s
Class 68s from the modern selection

DMUs:
I do quite like the 156 & 158s even though they usurped the 37s and 47s on a lot of their duties.
Living predominately in electrified commuter land, my usage of 1st Gen DMUs is limited, but 101s probably shade it. I did enjoy a lively railtour on a 105 once though.

Class 37 - they're the type I was more familiar with when growing up. On a few occasions I even shunted and loaded a few ballast trains at around the age of five or six (doubt anyone would allow that anymore!). They were also the first type of traction I understood the technical stuff on too - I do miss tinkering with the one the group I'm in owned.

I don't really dislike any types of traction, though some do stand out more than others. I'm looking forward to the return of a Valenta powered production HST for example.

ed1971

Ah, the Class 141, especially in the Verona Green and Buttermilk livery. The ends of the passenger sections had sliding doors (which never properly locked shut) and seats which could be folded up to allow for cycles, parcels and pushchairs. Wonder if we could get the Iranians to give them back? :lol:

I don't remember the 141s when they were in Verona Green and Buttermilk livery. I have only travelled on them after they were reworked and repainted in WY red and cream. The crew doors were the slam type like a 150/1, rather than sliding, as shown here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rorymacveii/34262573753

El Toro

On Moderation
One class that I did forget was the class 52 Westerns. The 55’s are also iconic. Never traveled behind a 52 but have travelled many times behind a Deltic when they were in service. The characteristic very slow almost imperceptible start when pulling away ,is something I haven’t forgotten, one programme I watched said that the power was applied very carefully so as to avoid an engine shut-down. They never pulled away with the characteristic jerk that most other locos pulling trains set manifested.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I don't remember the 141s when they were in Verona Green and Buttermilk livery. I have only travelled on them after they were reworked and repainted in WY red and cream. The crew doors were the slam type like a 150/1, rather than sliding, as shown here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rorymacveii/34262573753
Found this on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briti...lbus_at_Leeds_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1710870.jpg The original livery was also Metro's, the same as the buses before deregulation and the new corporate identity. Sadly the only photo in my personal collection is in black & white...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
One class that I did forget was the class 52 Westerns. The 55’s are also iconic. Never traveled behind a 52 but have travelled many times behind a Deltic when they were in service. The characteristic very slow almost imperceptible start when pulling away ,is something I haven’t forgotten, one programme I watched said that the power was applied very carefully so as to avoid an engine shut-down. They never pulled away with the characteristic jerk that most other locos pulling trains set manifested.

After mods in the early days of Mk2D air-con use, the throttle set up meant that only one engine powered until half-throttle, and the first engine to power also supplied the ETH so the smooth start could be down to the relatively low power outputs at slower speeds.

El Toro

On Moderation
After mods in the early days of Mk2D air-con use, the throttle set up meant that only one engine powered until half-throttle, and the first engine to power also supplied the ETH so the smooth start could be down to the relatively low power outputs at slower speeds.
Thanks for that, I VERY VAGUELY remember something like that from a documentary, but I wasn’t sure, thanks for clearing that up!

xotGD

Established Member
A vote for Class 33s from my other half.

An EE / Sulzer divide in our house!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
One that works :D can I go for the 800/802 for appearance and HST for nostalgia and comfort? I see why the original seats aren't brilliant for the infirmis, but I loved them.

ashkeba

Established Member
755! Good on diesel, doesn't soot up the wires and having a walk through engine is a giggle!

tramdan

I am jealous

Sorry, had a pair on Merseyrail Wirral Lines on Monday night if that makes it any better? (It won't make it better. :D) It is a rather odd experience I must say, cooking my dinner while rolling through Lime Street low level!

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Loco - Class 67
Intercity DMU - Class 221-Fast and tilting,they'd be even better if they were a few coaches longer.
Mid distance DMU - Class 168 - nice interior, reasonably fast acceleration and amazing sound as they pull out the station.
Local DMU- Class 166 because of the decent acceleration and pretty good grunt they emit when accelerating.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
This one...

eastleighworks22ndaugust2015.jpg

Class 37 - "Mary Queen of Scots" (Photo credit: Carl Watson)

Grannyjoans

Was mainly spotting around the early 2000's and always thought anything rare showing up on freight (e.g. 31s, 33s, 08s on the mainline, 20s) was mega exciting.

Stopped spotting regularly around 2005 it went really boring 66's and units everywhere, then stopped spotting completely in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.