• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your favourite DMU, EMU or DEMU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
My favourite has to be the Class 390 still (In my opinion) the most advanced and modern train on the entire British Railways Network.

Another one would be the Class 144, yes I know its a pacer but it has been some what of a love to to hate icon of West Yorkshire for many years.

gith

Living in the land of third rail I don't often get to travel on DMUs. However, My favourite has to be the 158; specifically the FGW one.

It's comfortable as hell and it's got a certain quirk to it; they were badly converted to 3-car, so they've got three driving cars!

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
All time (UK):
dmu :Class 124 (Trans Pennine) & 123
emu: Class 309.

Current stock (UK)
dmu: Classes 175, 180 & 156
emu: Class 350

GNER 373

DMU: 158's will always take top spot for me, great units.

DEMU: Class 221's - Yes I'm being serious.

EMU: The 390's are impressive but the 373 has taken it by a nose, still a 'modern' train 20 years on. Just the best.

James Wood

DMU: 158's will always take top spot for me, great units.

DEMU: Class 221's - Yes I'm being serious.

EMU: The 390's are impressive but the 373 has taken it by a nose, still a 'modern' train 20 years on. Just the best.

I agree with your signature. 8-)

smudga331

If I'm honest:

EMU: 460 (When they were Gatwick Express's)

DEMU: 221 (I don't find them that bad)

DMU: 170

:D

Yabbadabba

For EMU I would have to say Cl442 as they were in NSE days followed by any well maintained Cl421. :) and as for D(E)MU I would go for Cl156 as built :)

causton

Established Member
DMU: 158s - mainly for the comfort above other Sprinters, and modern DMUs just seem sluggish!
EMU: 365s! - mainly for the noise, the doors (who would run into them when they slam shut that loudly!) and the speed on a good day with a good unit!

Juniper Driver

Established Member
You nasty nasty man! :lol:
Dont start that one again pretty pretty pleeeeaaaassssseeeee! ;)

Oh for me surprisingly its the 455s! :lol:

Also Class 315 (related units.) Worked on them for my first seven years on the railway.Don't see much of them now.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agreed! As modern DMUs go I really like a 180 to travel in providing five functioning engines at HVACs are present.

Three big problems with them...

- They ride like a cart
- FGW have ruined them by fitting the far-too-bright dentist's chair daylight tubes
- The seats aren't bolted to the wall (whose stupid idea was that?) so they move around and sway, which can when coupled with the lousy ride make me feel yuck (the only UK stock to do that).

They're also too short for most of the fGW services they are used on.

To me, they (and the 175s) had the potential to be really quite good - a modern-day Class 156, maybe - but have been really badly let down by design and build quality issues.

Neil
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
DMU: 158s - mainly for the comfort above other Sprinters, and modern DMUs just seem sluggish!

The 158 would be the perfect inter-regional/regional express DMU if...

1. They were all 3-car (or ran as pairs at minimum - so in whatever way there were more of them)
2. There were 8 rather than 9 bodyside windows but the seating layout remained as built, i.e. alternating a table and a pair of airline rows all fully window-aligned (thus reducing the capacity by 8 seats per vehicle but increasing comfort to acceptable levels).

Neil
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I want to find out the most liked MU in the UK.

Anyway, my answers:

EMU: Class 444. An almost perfect InterCity EMU, certainly a worthy follower of the Wessex Electric. Light, airy, comfortable, good window view, excellent First Class and decent Standard. Only things I'd change are to play a bit with the seating layout to achieve better window alignment (though it's not terrible as-is) and improve the ride quality.

DMU: I so want to say Class 185, but they in practice are such a hotch-potch offspring of a 350 and 444 with a silly First Class layout, a million different window sizes and are excessively overpowered. So I think I'll have to go Class 158, or failing that Voyager (but, if travelling Standard, only in the fully-window-aligned hybrid coach found on the VT units).

Neil

adamskiodp

I still really miss the greasy smell of the 115's that I grew up on. Coming out of the tunnel by Finchley Road station with head out of the window!!! Can't do that anymore on the 165's ??????

Adam

samuelmorris

Established Member
DMU: 159/180 - I'd like the 180s more if any of the plug sockets ever worked :P
DEMU: 222 - 220/221s are OK but I prefer 222s
EMU:
Short distance: 378
Intermediate: 377/4/5 (for standard class comfort), 360 (for ride quality), 395 (for performance/looks)
Long-distance: 390 (for now, not that there are many choices - the luggage racks are tiny! Hoping that the 800 takes over here)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Long-distance: 390 (for now, not that there are many choices - the luggage racks are tiny! Hoping that the 800 takes over here)

Why do people think that? They are huge compared with those on Electrostars/Turbostars and Voyagers, both of which are completely useless for anything other than a briefcase or coat. They are a practical square shape, and quite low down as well.

Though I agree it looks like the IEP will be a better unit as a whole.

Neil

samuelmorris

Established Member
I can't say I've ever been on a Voyager where the luggage rack has been free (I once tried putting it in the wheelchair space since there was no wheelchair user on board but that was apparently unacceptable so I had to sit with it in the vestibule). The Meridian I travelled on I don't recall there being any issues though. Electrostars aren't really fair game as they don't fulfill the same role.
Comparing them to the luggage racks on East Coast Mk3s and Mk4s though, I was disappointed!
I'm not sure if the racks in the foodbar coach are slightly thinner than those in the other coaches, I seem to recall finding that the case, but either way they fit my LAN party equipment in just fine - in the Pendolino it was hanging out rather precariously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.