• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wheelchair passenger not allowed to board

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcheek

Established Member
It appears at this time that the DS thread has been closed by the DS mods at 21:58. Show's over folks, please move along. Nothing to see here folks, please keep moving.

so that leaves it all up to us then.
The truth is out there.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hobbit Feet

It appears at this time that the DS thread has been closed by the DS mods at 21:58. Show's over folks, please move along. Nothing to see here folks, please keep moving.

I thought they were about to create a part 2

When threads get too large this is what they do.

I could be wrong though :)

Edit - nope I was right.

Hence why their last post said splitting, it's probably changed to a continuation link. Mr Aryan will be creaming his pants at getting a part 2 thread.....

Choo Choo

He must have a lot of time on his hands if he faked this letter from Northern Rail that's all i can say.

jimrbrobinson

Yep, my mistake. Not being familiar with DS, I just noted it had changed to Closed. To be honest I just can't see anyone getting a satisfactory conclusion at the end of it all. Maybe it would be better to just let the whole die a death and descend back into obscurity, I really don't know. Like someone said on the DS thread, it's turning into a pile-up - you know you really shouldn't look, but you just can't help yourself.

Main point to me is find confimation that the guard is safely and properly back at work, and the whole nightmare put behind him.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Yep, my mistake. Not being familiar with DS, I just noted it had changed to Closed. To be honest I just can't see anyone getting a satisfactory conclusion at the end of it all. Maybe it would be better to just let the whole die a death and descend back into obscurity, I really don't know. Like someone said on the DS thread, it's turning into a pile-up - you know you really shouldn't look, but you just can't help yourself.

Main point to me is find confimation that the guard is safely and properly back at work, and the whole nightmare put behind him.

He is being returned "gently" back, the OP will never admit to anything it will always be him vs. the world, sad but true

NRWUser

Actually you are wrong on this. Northern Rail have just sent me this letter whuch becomes legally binding. Now if they have lied and an accident occurs while someone is using a ramp, this letter could come back on them.

Strange way of thinking about it. Why would you speculate about someone having an accident using the ramp at this station?

jimrbrobinson

He is being returned "gently" back, the OP will never admit to anything it will always be him vs. the world, sad but true

I'd forgotten that you did mention that earlier, and I am glad to hear it and hope that in time he'll be able to put all this firmly behind and concentrate on enjoying his chosen profession (and yes, I'm assuming he enjoys based on the fact that all guards / conductors I've met and chatted to say they enjoy their job, as I indeed enjoy mine). Thank you for the update about the guard in any case.

Flamingo

Established Member
I think at this stage of the thread (especially after reading the whiny post that Tonyaeryan has gone to bed after writing), the best advice to everybody on here is

images

DON'T FEED THE TROLL

Let him away, when he realises his fifteen minutes of fame has expired he'll **** off and annoy somebody else. I don't think it'll be a railway company.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Agreed. I've kept quiet the last few days as I think everything that needs to be said has been.

The_Stig

I would like to chip in with a point I feel is valid.

I think the main problem here (IMO of course) is Northern Rail.

Northern Rail here have an opportunity to avoid any future incidents. They should be backing the Guard as it is his call to make (whether the ramp can be safely deployed or not). I am not saying that the accuser is wrong or lying but feel that Northern have decided to sweep it under the carpet.

Now any guard may feel intimidated to allow a potentially dangerous deployment of a ramp to avoid such instances. What may then happen is an incident may occur when an accident DOES happen and the guard is then held accountable.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I was of the opinion that the letter was probably genuine, and that Tony wasn't likely to try and con us. But, what if he did get a letter from Northern Rail, and merely created a new one with a few tweaks here and there?

That way, we could ask Northern Rail who would confirm they sent a letter (but might not realise it was changed). I mean, will anyone print the letters posted here and send them back for verification? Mind you, I wonder if they expected the correspondence to be published in the first place.

It's definitely true that guards should be backed up properly if they make a decision like this, rather like a guard should be able to stop a train if there are loads of people drunk and disorderly, without fear of control asking why the train doesn't just carry on until they get off by themselves (see separate thread).

A guard may make the odd poor decision that costs time and money, but they're the only people who can make that judgement by being there and possibly having prior knowledge of problems.

tonyaran

I would like to inform all those interested in this incident of the latest.

I can say that the matter has now been resolved through third party mediation. I am not able to disclose anything but can say that I will be using Northern Rail services in the forseeable future.

I would also like to take this opportunity in expressing my heartfelt thanks to Peter Myers and all else involved from Northern Rail in trying to resolve this matter.

Thank you also to everyone at this forum, and other forums, for their advice and help.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
I am glad this has been resolved to a conclusion, however tonyaryan you nees to remeber a few points, i will be blunt but honest, the way you have your child on your lap while boarding/unboarding is dangerous and I personally will not let you board/depart with your child on your lap.period secondly how you handled the situation put myself and my colleagues at risk, heck the guard in question had death threats against him, people threatening him on youtube etc. the guard never got disciplined as he didnt do anything wrong, yes it could have been handles better and I hope lessons have been learned on both sides, I and I would presume the majority of my colleagues would have no problem whatsoever with yourself travelling on our services, just remember your safety is our responsibility if we feel something is unsafe we are duty bound to say so, so to keep it simple no child on lap and pls don,t use your mobility device as a big trolley as if it looks overweight for the ramps we ill insist that you lighten the load (remove bags) before boarding (any train operator/guard would do the same)

MCR247

Established Member
Omfg. Not again. Don't want to end up having to read 47 pages straight like last time when I woke up to this thread.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Omfg. Not again. Don't want to end up having to read 47 pages straight like last time when I woke up to this thread.

i don't think anything else really needed to be said, Myself and my colleagues won't have any problems as long as common sense is used.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Tonyaryan lost all his integrity and credibility on this forum and on DS due to this incident, I cannot understand why he would want to bring thinks back to life after all this time.

Chew Chew

I can say that the matter has now been resolved through third party mediation. I am not able to disclose anything but can say that I will be using Northern Rail services in the forseeable future.

I would also like to take this opportunity in expressing my heartfelt thanks to Peter Myers and all else involved from Northern Rail in trying to resolve this matter.

You can't be that thankful to those involved at Northern if you felt the need to involve 'third party mediation'.

Kernowfem

I would like to wish the guard in question all the very best for the future. To have received death threats as a result of this is absolutely unforgivable. Someones life and quite possibly their career has been threatened all for the sake of what appears to be a vindictive attempt at gaining public sympathy. As a (part time) wheel chair user myself i appreciate the difficulties one may encounter while using public transport.

However, i fail to see any point in making this a public spectacle, only to turn round some months later after considerable damage has been done to someones life and say, the matter has been resolved and i WILL be using the service again.

Why you couldnt have resolved the matter in private is beyond me. You would have, im sure achieved the same result.

Just to add, had i thought id had been treated badly by a company, i for one would not use them again.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is it that easy though? I don't shop in Tesco because I think they are expensive, poor value for money, the stores look dated, they have poor quality products and the staff aren't particularly pleasant. Fortunately I have Waitrose and Sainsbugs to shop in (and use both on a weekly basis), but for most there are no alternative rail services.

Kernowfem

Is it that easy though? I don't shop in Tesco because I think they are expensive, poor value for money, the stores look dated, they have poor quality products and the staff aren't particularly pleasant. Fortunately I have Waitrose and Sainsbugs to shop in (and use both on a weekly basis), but for most there are no alternative rail services.

Quite Mojo, and you do have a valid point. Im not disputing that rail services are not limited. And i am only speaking personally, but all the more reason for him not have turned this into a public spectacle. How are staff going to feel having to deal with him in the future? Will they have to constantly look over their shoulder in case they upsett him for some reason, and then be next on his list. It could be incredibly uncomfortable for all parties involved.

My point is this, the whole thing should have been dealt with out of the public eye.

If he felt so outraged, his goal should have been to resolve the problem at hand, not to cause a public out cry. He got a happy result at the end of it (by his last post) He could have achieved the same out come without endangering the life of the guard.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
He clearly went public to help other disabled rail users who were obviously being victimised by Northern and their nasty staff. So, now I'd hope that Northern Rail will be axing the 142s and making all stations accessible - while the bad staff have all been sacked.

A victory!

Oh wait, that didn't happen did it!

But, it's over now. Life goes on. I think everyone has learned something from it - including the OP - so hopefully that's it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You don't have to! You can pick and choose which topics you read, my advice to anyone is not to click on topics that do not interest you ;)

The fact so many people have contributed to, and read, this thread does indicate that for many people (not all, of course) this is a topic of great interest, people have joined this forum because of it.

I suspect (and hope) tonyaryan has been asked to agree to comply with various conditions, such as not having a child on his lap. We've probably not heard the last of this, as I suspect tonyaryan will attempt to 'push the boundaries' while many guards will be keeping an eye out for him...

I hope that tonyaryan now accepts that he was wrong not to wait just a few minutes for the following Class 323 service, and that if he had waited he would have got to his destination in a timely manner without any hassle.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I hope that tonyaryan now accepts that he was wrong not to wait just a few minutes for the following Class 323 service, and that if he had waited he would have got to his destination in a timely manner without any hassle.

I fear that is wishful thinking as the mans arrogance seems to know no bounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.