• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When Will It All Go Wrong For The Tories/ Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
This is incredible political theatre. Johnson seems determined to cling on until the very end, even though it's obvious that everyone has had enough of him.

Prediction: the 1922 Committee changes the rules tonight for an immediate vote of confidence, perhaps held even later tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest. It's hard to see them doing anything now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
Prediction: the 1922 Committee changes the rules tonight for an immediate vote of confidence, perhaps held even later tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest. It's hard to see them doing anything now.

There is a rumour going around that Johnson has a plan to ignore a VoNC and carry on regardless. Practically it doesn't hold much water and I don't believe even Boris Johnson would be so stupid as to go down that route.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is a rumour going around that Johnson has a plan to ignore a VoNC and carry on regardless. Practically it doesn't hold much water and I don't believe even Boris Johnson would be so stupid as to go down that route.

You have to ask the question: What political party does he believe he belongs to?
I think he believes he’s formed a new one based around just him and he doesn’t quite understand why not everyone has received the memo yet.

Cloud Strife

Established Member

In that case, I assume the message from the 1922 Committee would be delivered to the Queen and Johnson dismissed regardless?

Mike Freer, Minister for Exports and Equalities has just jumped too. This is bonkers.

RichJF

You have to ask the question: What political party does he believe he belongs to?
I think he believes he’s formed a new one based around just him and he doesn’t quite understand why not everyone has received the memo yet.
I think he is genuinely that out of touch he thinks he has a "cult of personality" & he'll be able to carry on regardless of what the real world is doing.

Reading some biographical pieces on him & what Max Hastings wrote about Boris, I get the impression that he genuinely feels he is entitled & the rest of the world owes him something, despite being born into a life of luxury, wealth and privilege.

BBC News breaking with "A group of cabinet ministers are about to tell the PM to resign, including the chief whip, the BBC understands".

kristiang85

Established Member
This committee hearing is turning into more of a car crash for him by the minute.

Gloster

Established Member
You wonder (OK, I wonder) if at some point Carrie will say that he must resign. If she is as mercenary as she is sometimes portrayed (and I am not going to make a judgement on the accuracy or not of that image) she may decide that that is best. The short-term advantages of staying on as PM may be outweighed by the damage to his long-term hopes of making money on the rubber chicken circuit.

Typhoon

Established Member
This ending is not totally dissimilar to that of Trump. Both totally deluded as to reality

This committee hearing is turning into more of a car crash for him by the minute.
There can't have been many committee hearings which have attracted such a high audience figure.

kristiang85

Established Member
I'm riveted by it. I'm almost feeling sorry for Johnson here, he is so deluded and out of his depth.

Flying Snail

Established Member
I think he is genuinely that out of touch he thinks he has a "cult of personality" & he'll be able to carry on regardless of what the real world is doing.

Reading some biographical pieces on him & what Max Hastings wrote about Boris, I get the impression that he genuinely feels he is entitled & the rest of the world owes him something, despite being born into a life of luxury, wealth and privilege.
I think it would be more accurate to say he has that attitude because he was born into privilege. He is certainly not alone with that trait, he is just an example of what happens when one of these types is allowed to fully express their inflated self-belief.

dosxuk

Established Member
Committee member: "So if you were to go to her Majesty and request a dissolution of Parliament, could you give me one of the reasons why her Majesty could decline your request?"

Johnson: "You're asking about something that is not going to happen, unless everyone is so crazy as to, urm... try, er, you know, er.... have a new, erm"

He was then interrupted, started going on about the country not wanting a new election, and then was continually challenged by the chair about what he meant by "unless". No clear answer was given.

kristiang85

Established Member
Committee member: "So if you were to go to her Majesty and request a dissolution of Parliament, could you give me one of the reasons why her Majesty could decline your request?"

Johnson: "You're asking about something that is not going to happen, unless everyone is so crazy as to, urm... try, er, you know, er.... have a new, erm"

He was then interrupted, started going on about the country not wanting a new election, and then was continually challenged by the chair about what he meant by "unless". No clear answer was given.

The member was William Wragg, a Tory!

Chris Bryant playing a blinder here too.

I also love how the BBC has a resignation counter in the corner :D

Cloud Strife

Established Member
BBC News breaking with "A group of cabinet ministers are about to tell the PM to resign, including the chief whip, the BBC understands".

I wonder if they're not going to explain to him face-to-face that he either immediately resigns, or the 1922 Committee will change the rules and immediately hold a vote of confidence to remove him by force.

At this point, I imagine the Queen has been informed and asked to prepare for dismissing Johnson in the event that he refuses to resign.

HST274

BBC reporter now saying shapps may tell pm to resign. Potentially the best thing he's done since receiving his role as transport secretary

RichJF

This is one of the most astonishing days I can remember in UK political history. I can't tear myself away from any of it.
Thank goodness I'm within my last 2 weeks before I change job & my current employer has no further work required. Most of my afternoon has been glued to the news!

kristiang85

Established Member
When was the last time that a ruling monarch had to make such an action as that?

Never, as far as I am aware (happy to be corrected).

But it would be valid under the Lascelles Principles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lascelles_Principles

BBC reporter now saying shapps may tell pm to resign. Potentially the best thing he's done since receiving his role as transport secretary

Zahawi is rumoured to be part of the delegation too, which would be hilarious if true.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If he refuses to go in light of a VoNC, the monarch has an unassailable right to dismiss him, and indeed she should, if such a situation transpires. It would not be a controversial move.

kristiang85

Established Member
Wow. What a meeting that was.

If he's not gone in two hours I'll be astounded.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
When was the last time that a ruling monarch had to make such an action as that?

I don't think it's ever happened. It would be astounding if it got to that, but it is clear that the PM must enjoy the confidence of the Commons.

This BBC resignation counter is just too much. Watching it tick upwards is surreal!

Status
Not open for further replies.