• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where will the last semaphore signals be on the national network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

In west Wales there are still a number of signalboxes, some still retaining a few semaphores. Still no sign of resignalling work, so they may be around for a while. Presumably the ROC at Cardiff will take over eventually. Unless of course the prolific knotweed gets them first!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

There's Frodsham Jn too on the same stretch, recently upgraded for the Halton Curve route, and Norton (a more modern box), and Mickle Trafford.
All should really have gone into Chester or Warrington PSBs by now, but will probably wait till Manchester ROC takes the lot over.
Crewe resignalling should sort out Beeston Castle and Crewe Steel Works (it's an awkward long block between them).
The trouble it that the 1960/70s power boxes with obsolete electronics are needing renewal, while the manual boxes can carry on almost indefinitely.

Rail 940 has a picture of the ex-Midland Railway lower-quadrant semaphore at Ketton (Peterborough-Oakham route) which looks like being a heritage survivor - it's pre-1900.
It's said to be the only lower-quadrant signal left which is not of GWR origin.
IIRC Frodsham Junction and Mickle Trafford boxes only control color light signals. Norton box appears to have been abolished recently (windows all boarded up)

Freightmaster

Established Member
IIRC Frodsham Junction and Mickle Trafford boxes only control color light signals. Norton box appears to have been abolished recently (windows all boarded up)
Norton closed on September 20th with control of the Runcorn East area passing to Frodsham Junction 'box.

MARK

Annetts key

Established Member
The lifespan of different types of signalling varies enormously.

Mechanical signalling wears out through usage. Especially if moving parts are not lubricated often enough. Rust can also cause problems if a function is not frequently used.

Electrical signalling is often life limited by the insulation of the wiring and cables degrading. Typical 1970s and onwards lineside cables have a life span of between 15 and 30 years, depending on the ground conditions if buried. Cables in surface concrete troughing routes (if not in wet conditions) last a bit longer.

The internal wiring used in equipment has a lifespan of between 25 to 40 years. But it again does depend on conditions and the actual batch of wire. The insulation degradation rate increases with heat. In some areas in the past, light mineral oil was used to prevent corrosion of terminals, but we now know that the oil reacts with the insulation.

With a RRI (route relay interlocking) system that uses direct wire control, there are normally no electronic systems. Similarly with simpler systems such as mini panels / one control switch (OCS) or minimum electrical signalling (MES) installations.

However, if the signalling controls and indications have to travel any significant distance, then an electronic transmission system is used. These quickly become obsolete. Although many old obsolete systems continue working, and some can be maintained by using parts from recovered systems from elsewhere on the network. There are various systems in use, some dating back to the late 1960s.

If needed, an existing electronic transmission system can be replaced with a more modern system. Where I work, I’ve seen this happen three times due to different partial resignalling or life extension works.

A bigger problem, is where electronic systems are used to do more than one thing. Such bespoke systems make signalling modifications very difficult. Plus it’s not practical most of the time to replace them.

All these problems could be overcome by piecemeal renewals and life extension work. But in the very recent past, this had fallen out of favour, as Network Rail instead wanted large control centres (ROCs).

Money (or rather, the lack of it) will likely be the driver over the next five years or so. If there is no business case for resignalling, and no funding from elsewhere, then the existing signal boxes or existing PSBs are likely to continue to operate for some time yet.

paul1609

Established Member
Surely with modern data transmission, self driving cars etc it's only a matter of time before all lineside signalling is abolished?

najaB

Veteran Member
Surely with modern data transmission, self driving cars etc it's only a matter of time before all lineside signalling is abolished?
That's the goal of ECTS Level 2. There are some working implementations, for example the Cambrian Line used it as a replacement for RETB, but I'm not sure how ready it is for widespread use.

It's worth noting, however, that while Level 2 gets rid of lights on sticks, the train detection (track circuits, axle counters) and protection (AWS, TPWS, ATP) will still be in place and use the existing wiring so would still need maintenance/replacement.

Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
That's the goal of ECTS Level 2. There are some working implementations, for example the Cambrian Line used it as a replacement for RETB, but I'm not sure how ready it is for widespread use.

It's worth noting, however, that while Level 2 gets rid of lights on sticks, the train detection (track circuits, axle counters) and protection (AWS, TPWS, ATP) will still be in place and use the existing wiring so would still need maintenance/replacement.
I'd rather imagine that ECTS as a technology is long since obsolete.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm not sure any of that kit is on the Cambrian network (not sure about axle counters), though there are ETCS balises in the track and a radio network.
The old kit might be needed while a "hybrid" mode of working is used.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'd rather imagine that ECTS as a technology is long since obsolete.
As @The Planner says, ECTS hasn't been fully implemented anywhere so I'm not sure how you reached the conclusion that it's obsolete.
I'm not sure any of that kit is on the Cambrian network (not sure about axle counters), though there are ETCS balises in the track and a radio network.
The old kit might be needed while a "hybrid" mode of working is used.
A Level 2 implementation is a hybrid model where train detection and integrity assurance uses whatever method is already in use - in the case of the Cambrian the physical infrastructure all went in the 1980s* when RETB went in.

*Early 90s?

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
"Self-driving" cars are so far from being fail-safe that even in the US trials, they are required to be monitored at all times by a person on board ready to take over. Several cases where the on-board person wasn't paying adequate attention have resulted in accidents and even fatalities. While a railway application would be simpler, I'd suggest the technology needs to be improved markedly to be suitable for replacing signalling systems.

najaB

Veteran Member
While a railway application would be simpler, I'd suggest the technology needs to be improved markedly to be suitable for replacing signalling systems.
I don't think the suggestion was that autonomous vehicle tech be directly transferred to the railway, rather it was being used as an example of advanced tech in general. "In a world that has X, how hard can it be to do this other thing that is a little bit similar to X?"

tomuk

Established Member
As @The Planner says, ECTS hasn't been fully implemented anywhere so I'm not sure how you reached the conclusion that it's obsolete.
A Level 2 implementation is a hybrid model where train detection and integrity assurance uses whatever method is already in use - in the case of the Cambrian the physical infrastructure all went in the 1980s* when RETB went in.

*Early 90s?
ECTS Level 2 doesn't use any of the existing systems it replaces AWS, TPWS and ATP. It is fixed block and at junctions/station areas it uses track circuits/axel counters to ensure accurate train detection. Elsewhere there are just balises to ensure accurate train location is maintained.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Rainford to kirkby at rainford station including the token to pick up at the box for kirkby. Ie single line.
2. Goxhill station to new Holland station including oxmarsh level crossing. And goxhill level crossing. And again in the section before new Holland station another signal box. In a semaphore area like rainford but on the Barton on humber branch again where a token is picked up for single line to Barton on humber.

najaB

Veteran Member
ECTS Level 2 doesn't use any of the existing systems it replaces AWS, TPWS and ATP. It is fixed block and at junctions/station areas it uses track circuits/axel counters to ensure accurate train detection. Elsewhere there are just balises to ensure accurate train location is maintained.
I thought there were two sub-levels in Level 2. In the first the sticks on poles went but the existing detection stayed, then at the second stage everything moved over to ETCS. Then at Level 3 train positioning and integrity moved on-board which allowed the full switch to moving block.

I guess, thinking about it, what I've been calling Level 2A is actually the final stage of a Level 1 implementation. In my defence, most descriptions of Level 1 say that it's just in-cab repeating of the existing signals.

ETCS level 2 still uses traditional train detection (track circuits or axle counters) in all areas (Offical descriptions of the levels here if it helps) which can be existing systems (though admitedly these probably will often be upgrade at the same time ETCS is installed) and the uk implementations still even have traditional route setting interlockings under the RBC (radio block controller). You are correct that it replaces all the train protection systems, but that is also true of level 1. The difference from level 1 to level 2 is that movement authority is conveyed to the driver via the cab display (and therefore continuously checked) rather than via signal aspect only visible when the signal is (ans only 'visible' to the train by the balise at the signal). It is only level 3 which gets the train to do the position/integrity detection (with as you say balises used to re-calibrate the trains idea of it's position) which will be done in all areas not just plain line (Though as pointed out by others above there has still yet to be an actual major deployment of level 3).

I thought there were two sub-levels in Level 2. In the first the sticks on poles went but the existing detection stayed, then at the second stage everything moved over to ETCS. Then at Level 3 train positioning and integrity moved on-board which allowed the full switch to moving block.

I guess, thinking about it, what I've been calling Level 2A is actually the final stage of a Level 1 implementation. In my defence, most descriptions of Level 1 say that it's just in-cab repeating of the existing signals.
Level 2 originally was all without signals. But because we in the uk are special, we added a sub level ("ETCS Level 2 with signals overlay" I believe is nearly the official name rather than just calling it A/B) for thameslink where trains fitted for etcs work to level 2 style movement authorities, whilst non-fitted trains can work the same line using the signals.

And going back to the original thread topic, I wouldn't be too sure either way if the last semaphore to go would jump straight to ETCS or might just become a colour light for an interim, as plans seem to be rather in flux for where actually gets resignalled much beyond projects already in motion.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Level 2 originally was all without signals. But because we in the uk are special, we added a sub level ("ETCS Level 2 with signals overlay" I believe is nearly the official name rather than just calling it A/B) for thameslink where trains fitted for etcs work to level 2 style movement authorities, whilst non-fitted trains can work the same line using the signals.
Thanks, that makes more sense than my muddled mess.

83G/84D

Established Member
What resignalling schemes involving loss of semaphores are under way or due to start in the next year or so?

In Cornwall Truro, Par and Lostwithiel signalboxes are due to transfer control to Exeter in late 2023 with semaphore signals retained at Liskeard, Goonbarrow Jn, St Blazey and St Erth.

Gloster

Established Member
In Cornwall Truro, Par and Lostwithiel signalboxes are due to transfer control to Exeter in late 2023 with semaphore signals retained at Liskeard, Goonbarrow Jn, St Blazey and St Erth.
Are they going to retain islands of semaphores at Liskeard and St Erth, or are they going to make a like-for-like replacement by colour lights, at least on the mainline? I presume that Roskear Junction is already completely colour light.

83G/84D

Established Member
Are they going to retain islands of semaphores at Liskeard and St Erth, or are they going to make a like-for-like replacement by colour lights, at least on the mainline? I presume that Roskear Junction is already completely colour light.
There will be no changes at St Erth. St Blazey and Liskeard will have a few minor changes as they will become "fringe" boxes to Exeter Panel. Ironically after the work is done Liskeard box will work with Plymouth Panel to the east and Exeter Panel to the west!

As I understand the areas that are resignalled will receive no significant track alterations but a more simplified signal layout. Truro will have some alterations in this respect.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I see people like Roger Ford are asking why there are no plans to replicate the low-cost "modular" resignalling schemes which were implemented on the Crewe-Shrewsbury and North Wales lines, in both cases with signalling controlled from Cardiff.
There was a plan to convert the Marches line to this system but seems to have been dropped.
This is against a backdrop of resignalling schemes for secondary lines being "unaffordable", and with no prospect of widespread roll-out of ETCS to these lines in the next couple of decades.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I see people like Roger Ford are asking why there are no plans to replicate the low-cost "modular" resignalling schemes which were implemented on the Crewe-Shrewsbury and North Wales lines, in both cases with signalling controlled from Cardiff.
There was a plan to convert the Marches line to this system but seems to have been dropped.
This is against a backdrop of resignalling schemes for secondary lines being "unaffordable", and with no prospect of widespread roll-out of ETCS to these lines in the next couple of decades.
Crewe Shrewsbury is probably a case why it hasn't been done again, the idea may be sound but the scheme was terrible.

craigybagel

Established Member
What were/are the problems with the system?
Very unreliable - frequent issues with axle counter failures or non detection of the level crossings. Even though it's controlled all the way from Cardiff, the folks there often know what the weather is like in Shropshire. If it starts raining heavily, the level crossings stop working.

Signallers have limited control - AFAIK the level crossings only activate when at the time that the system thinks it should, not at when is actually the optimal time. It doesn't matter if you're a non stop 175 doing 90, if the system decides you're actually an all stops 153 it will delay the barriers accordingly and you'll get signal checked at every level crossing.

The timings themselves are also wrong in some places even when the system does get it right - for example, a service stopping at Wem on the up and then skipping Yorton will always get signal checked at Harlescotte crossing without fail, as the barriers are lowered to late.

No improvement in capacity - the sections are the same as they were under Absolute Block after Whitchurch box closed, meaning there is still a long section from Press to Wrenbury that limits the headway to about 15 minutes.

The signal heads themselves are also blinding at night - worse then any other new signal I've seen (or not seen lol).

It also has a Bi-directional capability that is near enough useless. The crossovers at Wem are fully signalled and work fine, but at Nantwich it's only a ground position light and it's not permitted to be used with passengers. Shrewsbury is even worse as there is no signalled move on or off the Bi-directional. AFAIK the Nantwich - Wem section has only ever been used to turn trains around when there are failures (either of infrastructure or other trains) and I'm not sure the Bi-directional between Wem and Shrewsbury has ever been used.

But apart from all that......

MarkyT

Established Member
Crewe Shrewsbury is probably a case why it hasn't been done again, the idea may be sound but the scheme was terrible.
I think many of the good ideas in 'modular' have been subsumed into how standard resignalling is done cost effectively today, particularly the use of axle counters and lightweight low maintenance folding LED signals, and how signalling power supplies and data communications can be configured, especially in rural areas. Modular didn't really save much, if any, trackside equipment. It just made each trackside cabinet more standardised, a worthy aim, but things were going that way anyway. On the downside, modular was based on a limited range of standard layout modules to simplify interlocking data. While perhaps useful for the very simplest basic single track railways with low speed passing loops, for anything more complex, the full range of layout signalling techniques to optimise for efficient operations were not available.

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
Blea Moor they have replaced the semaphores on the running lines with colour light. The semaphores still are there on the loops. I expect many semaphores will be replaced with colour lights controlled by mechanical interlocking.
There again, Blea Moor is a difficult location.

MarkyT

Established Member
When I joined the Western Region S&T department in 1983, an old hand in the drawing office said (ironically, just to be clear) something on the lines of "management have assured us that now the power signalling programme is underway, the last mechanical boxes and semaphores will be retired by the end of the 1970s!".

Status
Not open for further replies.