• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which is your closest station/how do you get to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cal

Polmont, about 2 miles walking.
The bus I normally get has been cancelled, so I'm going to need to start driving (and Polmont doesn't have the best parking facilities).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

45689ajax

Chester for majority of services. Bache if I am using Merseyrail. Both less than a mile, so walk.

Yea, beautiful area. I got off at Hopton Heath one day last year and walked up to Hopton Castle. Shame no pub around (unless I missed something) but I walked through Hopton Wood to Bucknell where there are a couple of decent watering holes.

No, sadly there's a "hole" in the coverage of pubs here! And now it's a bit bigger with the closure of the Engine & Tender at Broome.

Nice tea rooms at Abcott, near Clungunford, though. Nearest pubs are in Bucknell (2), Leintwardine (2), Aston on Clun (1), Purslow (1) and Clunton (1).

Poolie

The only thing I remember about Seaton Carew earlier this year was the young couple in a car mid-getting jiggy with it until I rocked up in the late evening camera phone at the ready (not for them obviously ;) )

It wasn't me !!! <D Certainly better than it was with CCTV, help points and shelters. Looks like a bike rack has turned up as well. Still very much a backwater though. :(

FenMan

Established Member
5 minute walk to Blackwater.

I've never regretted the decision to buy a property with a well-connected station close by, even though I don't use rail to commute to work.

Sample journey times - with no cross London transfers needed.

Paddington 45-60 minutes
Waterloo 60-70 minutes
Bristol - 1h50m
Cardiff - 1h55m
Birmingham - 2h08m
Manchester - 3h50m
Derby - 2h57m
Sheffield - 3h27m
Oxford 45-65 minutes
Gatwick 59 minutes
Reading 16-23 minutes
Guildford 17-22 minutes

All of these are very competitive when compared with taking the car.

tripleseis

Herne Hill - 450m (approx 5 mins walk door to door). Railway line passes right outside our front door. :D

ScottishIain

When I'm at home the closest station is probably just Cleland which is about 2.5 miles away but I use Wishaw which is roughly 3 miles away. If its for a mainline train I use Motherwell which is about 6 miles away.

If I'm at my girlfriends then it'd be Hartlepool which is a 15/20 min walk.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

swcovas

No, sadly there's a "hole" in the coverage of pubs here! And now it's a bit bigger with the closure of the Engine & Tender at Broome.

Nice tea rooms at Abcott, near Clungunford, though. Nearest pubs are in Bucknell (2), Leintwardine (2), Aston on Clun (1), Purslow (1) and Clunton (1).

Yes, the Engine is a sad loss. I hear it was being offered for sale as a private dwelling to be converted into two.....stiil the case? I guess it'll never be a pub again. I have walked up from Broome to the strangely named Kangaroo Inn. Why is a pub in Salop named after a ship????

Con

Londonderry, 10 miles and I drive or get a lift. There are buses here to Derry but they are few and far between. Best time to Dublin via Belfast is four hours and 23 mins, which I do out of preference to the bus, which takes three and a half to four hours. Very much a minority pasttime though, the vast majority of my neighbours here have never been on a train in their lives.

Last edited:
Yes, the Engine is a sad loss. I hear it was being offered for sale as a private dwelling to be converted into two.....stiil the case? I guess it'll never be a pub again. I have walked up from Broome to the strangely named Kangaroo Inn. Why is a pub in Salop named after a ship????

There are a number of theories behind the name. Despite being an inland county, we do have our nautical links. :)

Not heard much about the Engine but I suspect it will become a house. Broome is not a big place and the pub is located off the main junction and the station is hardly used. And then you have the Kangaroo less than a mile away too. So I can understand why it's not a viable pub.

Comstock

I've never used my nearest station !!.................(it's Peartree :D ).

Derby, my next nearest, is a 15-20 min walk or a short bike ride, I generally choose the latter.

itsjamierawr

Kirkham & Wesham - 10 minutes drive (park on the road)

Or as of September (in case you didn't already know it was A level results today) Canterbury West (though I might use East more) - 10 minute bus

southern442

Established Member
Norbury 0.6 miles
Mitcham eastfields 1.8 miles
Thornton heath and Streatham common 1.3 miles
In one report about crossrail 2 they said a possible station on the line would be Thornton heath pond which is 0.9 miles from my house.
I walk to Norbury but when Norbury is closed I get a lift to Mitcham eastfields.

swcovas

There are a number of theories behind the name. Despite being an inland county, we do have our nautical links. :)

Not heard much about the Engine but I suspect it will become a house. Broome is not a big place and the pub is located off the main junction and the station is hardly used. And then you have the Kangaroo less than a mile away too. So I can understand why it's not a viable pub.

Thanks for comments.....hope to head there again before the end of the year.

lancastrian

My nearest is Rumworth and Duabhill, about a 5 minute walk, but sadly it was closed in 1951. But seriously, it is actually Bolton Station, about 1.5 miles from where I live, but just round the corner from where I work.

Last edited:

Requeststop

According to the "RailTracker" app on my phone my nearest UK station is Lowestoft, and the Google Earth measuring device says I'm 2,392.85 miles from my apartment front entrance here in Baku to the entrance of Lowestoft station. Incidently I was at Lowestoft station in March this year for the first time. (see pics)

When I lived in the UK my home station was Lelant and to get to the station I ran down the hill to the platform a distance of 200-250 yards or so. That was in the days when Lelant was a proper station and not a request stop.

Attachments

• Lowestoft Outside.jpg
    Lowestoft Outside.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 25

tamesidedepot

Stockport, 5-10 minute walk depending on how awake I am. Very handy for getting around the country, and makes it possible to commute to meetings in London.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Polmont doesn't have the best parking facilities

Why don't you park the night before. Get the wife to run you back in her car. She can then drop you off in the morning. Your car will be waiting for you when you return in the evening.

Now I know you are wondering why don't you get the wife to pick you up? Well it makes it a bit difficult to have the tea on the table for when you get home. (Unless of course you still have domestic servants).

Parham Wood

Several choices for me depending on destination. Bath Spa 10 miles 23 minutes drive, Bristol TM 11 miles 30 mins drive, Westbury 22 miles 40 mins drive and Trowbridge 17 miles 35 mins drive. There are a few others including Frome but the services are more limited. Parking is a problem as the station parks are not cheap and the city parks are also pricey. Some free on street parking in Trowbridge and Westbury if you want a 10 min walk. Park and ride is an option but the buses stop early and I would not like to leave my car overnight. We have buses to Bath and Bristol around 1ph if they turn up but these take nearly an hour. So I nearly always drive all the way instead of using the train as getting to a station is such a hassle and costly particularly if away overnight. It is a shame as I would like to do more by train.

TheJRB

Established Member
My nearest two are Ashford International at 1.57 miles and Ham Street at 4.06 miles. I only ever use Ashford though. It's always the car but the bus is available too. With a new safe cycle path under construction, cycling will become a viable option too.

Julia

Nearest station, St Neots, a tad over 3 miles - usually get there by bike.

However, we're yards from a stop on the excellent X5, which will drop me at any of CBG, SNO, BDM, MKC, BCS and OXF.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Being in a rural part of the narrow country lanes of the "Cheshire Golden Triangle".....

Prestbury station....................2.1 miles
Alderley Edge station...............2.8 miles
Wilmslow station.....................3.4 miles
Adlington (Cheshire) station......4.7 miles

Use of the 4 x 4 essential.

John07

Haymarket is the nearest at around 0.8 mile and is a 15 minute walk. It's as well as there is no direct bus service (one change is required). It is an awkard roundabout trip by taxi given the tram works.

Waverley is somewhat further away at 1.8 miles (40 minutes walk) but is probably easier by taxi and has a direct bus service.

Status
Not open for further replies.