• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which is your closest station/how do you get to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Me; Lostock appx 1.5 miles
If I don't get a lift off a family member then it's a walk. No direct bus service from my house :cry: easier to get to Bolton or Horwich 2.5 & 4.5 miles away.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Ore, roughly 0.9 miles away from my house. If I walk to the station, I have a steep hill to walk up. If I walk back, I have two steep hills to walk up!

Alternately, I walk or take the bus to Hastings. This is a 1.9/2.0/2.2 mile journey depending on the route I take and is even more incline to inclines. As I often book online Ore doesn't have a TVM; to take advantage of advance tickets, I often use Hastings for that.

It's fun, fun, fun walking home with two heavy bags after arriving at Hastings on at half one in the morning. :D

chris89

Established Member
For Long distance trains would be Wolverhampton.

22 miles about 44 mins by car or 70 by public transport.

Local being Kidderminster.

12 miles about 32 mins and 60 mins by public transport.

Chris

Established Member
Edinburgh Waverley is roughly 2.5 miles south of my house. If I'm going there to get a train myself, I'll take the bus (either the 23 or the 8) which takes about 25-30 minutes including the walk at each end.
If I'm going to drop off or pick up someone else, I'll take the car. On a good run, I can get there in 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Jeni

1.9 miles to Mauldeth Road or 2.2 miles to Levenshulme. No direct buses.

I always just catch the bus to Piccadilly since most of my journeys would have to go via there (or Stockport) anyway.

EssexGonzo

Shenfield. 0.7 mile walk. 1.1 miles when drunk. :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly :)

3 min walk.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
My closest is Capenhurst. I usually bike it there as it's only about a mile from my house. If I'm with my parents and/or brother we just take the car. The reason we don't walk is because it's down a long country lane with a thin pavement and people do about 80 down there so it's not really safe. If we are going to London on an early train we usually just go in the car to Chester.

gnolife

Established Member
I'm 15 mins from both Heald Green and Manchester Airport, but choose to use Heald for almost every trip despite getting worse service so that I can avoid the horrible queues that Airport gets. The exceptions to this are early morning and late evening journeys, journeys via Crewe (not all that frequent for me) and journeys made using advances (even less frequent because I know how bad I am at getting out of bed in time for a specific train).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Whilst I don't think this has been an issue yet but just a reminder that this is a public forum which means that anyone, not just registered members, can see what you post. So I'd avoid giving any sort of detailed directions ;)

MK Tom

Established Member
Milton Keynes Central, a 1.61 mile walk. The bus will only be quicker if I get it within five minutes of leaving home, but it costs £2.10 single so I generally walk anyway. Sometimes I'll do the two mile walk to Wolverton for a cheaper return to Northampton or Rugby.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Oldfield Park, about a 7 minute walk.
Although I often will walk about 25 minutes to Bath Spa (or get a bus which takes 10 minutes) as frequencies from OLF can be useless at times.

Or if I am at my parents, Ton Pentre, also about a 7 minute walk.

Established Member
South Wigston is my nearest at roughly 1.5 miles, but Leicester about 2 miles away has a much better train service, so I use that. Normally travel by bus but it depends.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Axminster 7 miles. Bus is a non-starter as we have to walk 1.5 miles first up a steep hill to catch it and it takes an hour instead of 20 mins in a car. The station car park used to be free but now SWT is on the make, on that too.

The foregoing replies demonstrate how useless local bus transport is anywhere except in a big urban area.

Manchester77

Established Member
Trafford Park - less than a five minute walk but because that has a rather poor service
Sretford Metrolink - fifteen minute walk

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Closest as the crow flies is Lockwood, about 1.2miles away but with poor bus links so I seldom use it. Other than that, depending on where I'm heading it's Huddersfield (3 miles, regular bus service during the day) or Slaithwaite (a pleasant (weather-permitting!) 4.5mile bike-ride along the canal).

D6975

Established Member
Lawrence Hill is the closest, but I usually go TM or Parkway because of the service. They are both roughly the same in terms of time on the bus.

Polarbear

Established Member
Bache is a 10 minute walk for me. Sometimes I'll walk to Chester station which is about 35-40 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.