• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which type of train still in service today will you miss most when they've all been withdrawn from use on the national network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazr

I know this is a late reply, and not sure if anyone picked up on this, but the "single" coach of the 455/7 is a PEP, whilst the 318, is a Mark 3 derived train that shares more commonailty with the 317, and the rest of the 455 formation.
Yeah, it's been commented on... I had a brain fart :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GWVillager

So good that the GW seats are collapsing, ride is getting dreadful already, the whole fleet needs both very heavy repair & more frequent wheel turning just so they don't crack apart, and anyone I know who goes east goes via 30 year old SWR if it's running. I won't miss the disasters one bit. There's at least one very recent thread about them.
I don’t mean to go too far off topic but this is why I said “I hate to say it”. I’m perhaps even a little too far in my criticism of the IETs recently, the GWR ones are a real mess. But all that said I do actually enjoy travelling on them and can see myself really ending up missing them.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
HST/Castle. Whilst never a fan of HSTs in my bashing days (actively avoided unless necessary for a move) they are great to work on. Everything between the power cars was the responsibility of the guard including faults and failures. There was also the fun of emergency couplings. When SDO was added you then had to think ahead as to where you need to be for the next station so you didn’t get stuck using the Hold position. IETs are just dull and boring and hold zero interest as they took most of the operational responsibilities away from the guard.

RichJF

Southern/southeastern electrostars and networkers and the LO 378. Comfy, nostalgia value etc

375/377s fast becoming the 21st century equivalent of the Ceps/Cigs/Veps.

I can see them doing near 50 years of service before a replacement comes.

DanNCL

Established Member
No, they are stored, they could easily come back. Therefore they should count until scrapped.
There’s still stored Mark 1s, should we count those until scrapped too?
If it’s not in service, which the 379s aren’t, they shouldn’t count, even if they might return one day.

Unpleasant in what way? The Mark 3s are generally well-regarded as being well-designed, safe (in terms of crashworthiness), smooth-riding and comfortable.
They were well designed by 1970s standards. By modern standards they’re not definitely not up to scratch on crashworthiness anymore.

I didn’t like the tiny seats or fixed armrests, the pneumatic automatic doors slamming, the creakiness of the carriages, etc. I’m just saying the reason I like Pendolinos is not because I’m too young to know what was there before, as I do know what was there before thanks to Greater Anglia, and I wasn’t too fussed. That’s not to say I don’t like them but I certainly prefer the 390s.

Especially in the front carriage :D
The Mark 3s were configured quite differently on the West Coast. The closest recent comparison I can think of would be EMT HSTs but they weren’t the same either.

But you’re quite happy with the frankly appalling interior design of the Pendolinos, the rattling panels and generally rubbish Alstom build quality. Strange…
You’ve got unrealistically high expectations for build quality if you think the 390s are bad.

Unfortunately the corrosion is likely to see them off before the 150s. I would certainly agree that they're a pleasant unit though.
The 150s are suffering from corrosion just as badly. Apart from the 158s/159s, the sprinters are all struggling and will need to be binned off before they fall apart.

So good that the GW seats are collapsing, ride is getting dreadful already, the whole fleet needs both very heavy repair & more frequent wheel turning just so they don't crack apart, and anyone I know who goes east goes via 30 year old SWR if it's running. I won't miss the disasters one bit. There's at least one very recent thread about them.
I could see the 80xs being binned after only a decade. Hitachi still haven’t got the repair program properly underway, if they leave it too much longer it’ll be cheaper to replace them than repair them. Also worth noting that Hitachi’s Japanese equivalents don’t last long either, granted the Japanese deliberately design them to last a maximum of 20 years (often less), but one has to wonder if that ideology has inadvertently influenced the design of the 80xs.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
No, they are stored, they could easily come back. Therefore they should count until scrapped.
Says who :lol: Surely a train not in service today can't count as a train "in service today." :lol: There are stored Pacers, 315s, 317s, MK2s and even a rotting Nightstar Eurostar carriage!

You’ve got unrealistically high expectations for build quality if you think the 390s are bad.
It's called bias. :) Taking an opinion and presenting it as fact. So... bias :)

I always disliked the 450s because living on the Alton line for over a decade they just seemed like the default, the bog standard, the most boring train in the world to me as a kid. (Moving to Wales where my local train is a rancid 150 made me realise how lucky I was ;)) Add to the fact they always showed up in lieu of a 444 when we went to Portsmouth, which was often. But honestly, when they're gone, I'll be so sad. They were the trains of my childhood! Haha. :D

SteveM70

Established Member
Probably the 37s, for all the obvious reasons, but I also have a soft spot for the 156s, mainly because they remind me of happy times on the west coast of Scotland

Davester50

Class 91 + Mk4 Rakes. Smooth, comfortable seats and quiet inside but my word you knew it was a 91 if you were on a neighbouring platform for departure.

They really improved them over the years.
The original second class seats were awful! The first class with the smoked glass was very much of it's era.

zwk500

Veteran Member
They really improved them over the years.
The original second class seats were awful! The first class with the smoked glass was very much of it's era.
I only started using them in 2013, post-Mallard. They were smart then!

Pokelet

Another vote for the 170 here.
Unassuming, comfortable, great layout, smooth and fairly quiet. Tables at a good height and distance from the seat.

I do like the honesty of a 150/153 though. They just get on with the job in a basic, no frills way.

Irascible

Established Member
I could see the 80xs being binned after only a decade. Hitachi still haven’t got the repair program properly underway, if they leave it too much longer it’ll be cheaper to replace them than repair them. Also worth noting that Hitachi’s Japanese equivalents don’t last long either, granted the Japanese deliberately design them to last a maximum of 20 years (often less), but one has to wonder if that ideology has inadvertently influenced the design of the 80xs.

Shinkansen sets are generally 20 year life ( other than the N500s which seem to be going on forever ) - but I'm not sure the narrow gauge stock has such a short lifetime. I found it very hard to dig up any news about Hitachi non-Shinkansen output but I think I did find something about problems there too... perhaps someone who can read Japanese better than I can have a look.

I wonder if there's more problems trying to fix the cracking...

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Class 465s would be my obvious choice. My personal favourite units... One of the last BR designed units before privatisation too.

Class 375s/Class 377s. I started off in my younger days hating them for replacing my beloved Slamdoors, but over the years they have grown on me quite a bit. I can safely say some of the earlier units (specifically 375/6s /7s & 377/1s) were in my opinion, the last units built with a decent quality of seating design and seating arrangements. I remember getting on one of these early units when they were fairly new and being amazed at the quality of the interior, seating, and air conditioning. Particularly the Connex design. A definite improvement over the predecessors. The same can't be said for some of the later Electrostars however...

Class 390s. Again, for me the last decent built InterCity units that were actually built with an express train in mind. Virgin Trains 1st Class was top notch Not so sure on Avantis new refurbishment though...

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Avanti's refurbishment has made standard class great.
Not sure on First Class/Standard Premium, basically never used it at all, waste of money to me.

For me atleast, I certainly noticed the difference between VTs 1st Class and Standard seating. Even if the reclining seat only moved a few centimetres The overall 1st Class effect from the seating to the surroundings always made it worth it to me.

I haven't experienced Avanti just yet, only seen pictures. The pictures make it look like a downgrade and the lighting now looks clinical... I'll have to experience it in person to make my mind up!

brad465

Established Member
None

Because I don't have the rose tinted nostalgia for the past that others do. (Or emotional attachment)

I am also a fan of technology and the future of the railway. Even units I've driven through my career I look on fondly, but when they are gone, I'll embrace the new and shiny.
Whatever you do don't run for Government, you'll either have to level the DfT and Treasury offices to stop them blocking your plans, and/or cause NIMBYs to go on mass riots ;)

WideRanger

On the very rare chances I get now to see class 20s, I have an incredible sense of nostagia for days spent on Beeston station watching the coal trains go through, and if really lucky The Jolly Fisherman. Eventually getting the chance to take one to Skegness was a childhood highlight (and much better than Skegness itself...)

I still retain a love of low-tech solutions to tricky problems. I'll be very sad when they finally go completely.

Parallel

Established Member
Class 158 for me. I’ve used them since 1998 to get me to/from swimming lessons as a child and I’ve always had a soft spot for them ever since. They still look pretty good and are still well suited to regional express routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.