• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who on here dislikes football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I can think of several railway staff who's careers were over in an instant!
Anyway I believe this is about wether a person likes football or not,I'm sorry but I don't.

Not only that, but like racing drivers (for example), they run the risk of their career being ended in an instant.

So do soldiers, yet they only get paid a fraction of what the likes of Ronaldo do.

I don't care how dangerous a job is. No single person should be paid such a colossal amount of money.

I'll wait for the comments calling me a a simple minded Marxist...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I hate it...always have. I find it duller than a burnt out candle. I cannot see why its such a draw to people.
It's as if its compulsory to like it!! Almost everyone I know likes it but I really can't see why.
are you saying you dislike watching football, playing football, or the sport existing at all?

I can understand people not enjoying playing a particular sport, though I would say that someone who does not enjoy any sports really needs to find something to keep themselves active and stay healthy, though this could be done by physical activities other than 'sports', but sports are certainly a good way to be active.

I can also understand people not enjoying watching sports; even people who enjoy playing may not enjoy watching.

But those who see no value in any form of football may be interested to read these links, to give just two recent examples which I read on the BBC news site:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50267287
It has been hailed for improving health and combating loneliness - but for some, walking football was a lifeline in their darkest moments.

"Older people can sometimes feel lonely, isolated and some men who are retired or widowed feel they have lost their purpose in life.

"But this sport gets them out of the house, exercising and enjoying the camaraderie of team sports.

"That has meant so much to players who have suffered depression and suicidal thoughts. They said walking football gave them a purpose and a reason to live. It's truly amazing."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50983263
"At a time in my life where I was sort of at the bottom of a dark hole, Everton In The Community came along.

"And I say it every day - they're a massive reason why I'm still here today."

The club ran a scheme for veterans where they could play football and meet Everton players.

I didn't used to like football but this changed over over time. I run non-competitive football sessions for youngsters, and seen the benefits the sessions bring. I had some thank you cards recently which made me realise just how much they do appreciate it.

And separately, in a casual game that I particulate in, there is a training session for youngsters from a nearby village on the adjacent pitch; it's noticeable how polite and positive they all are (e.g. if our football strays onto their pitch, they are very keen to get it back to us as soon as possible)

So I would suggest that the game itself has many positives, though you may not experience these directly yourself if you don't enjoy the sport, and they may not be apparent by watching a professional game.

If I earnt their money I could have finished in my 30s. I bet they're not answering the alarm clock at 2am to shunt a load of wagons around!
Whose money? I assume you are talking about those at the very top. A professional outside the top two divisions would still need to get a 'normal' job after their football career is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.