• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who will be our next Prime Minister? - Rishi Sunak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Interesting, so all that talk about how he had over 100 nominations must have been a... lie? Who'd thought it?!

He'll need another holiday to get over this excitement.

96tommy

I think everyone is jumping the gun saying Sunak is nailed on favourite. The majority of Boris' votes likely to go to Penny who is regarded more in favour with members than Rishi.

LowLevel

Established Member
Chortle.

Unfortunately it may make the Tories more electable, but I'll take the risk.
I think the opposite.

A hell of a lot of the "Man in the Street" that the pollsters and establishment have crucially underestimated for the last few years have, as far as I can tell, been clamouring to Bring Back Boris to sort things out for the last few days. My Facebook has been full of it.

I think Boris might just have pulled something out of the bag to rescue the election, if the Tories didn't totally explode.

I think Sunak however will be delivering a lot of pain and will not have the same vibe with the broader electorate.

Yew

Established Member
It's interesting that Boris said:
"I have been attracted because I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago - and I believe I am therefore uniquely placed to avert a general election now.

(Sorry, I've only got the BBC live link, which I don't think will persist)

brad465

Established Member
To say Zahawi's Telegraph opinion piece didn't age well is a colossal understatement (get ready for Boris 2.0).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think everyone is jumping the gun saying Sunak is nailed on favourite. The majority of Boris' votes likely to go to Penny who is regarded more in favour with members than Rishi.

I have wondered about that but then Sunak doesn’t need many more votes compared to her and he seems to be streaking away with it.

I actually felt that Mordaunt installed as PM with Sunak reinstated as chancellor would give them the best chance of pulling the party together. I just don’t think Sunak as PM will work due to his associations with what’s gone before, but we’ll see I guess!

BrianW

Established Member
If I understand it right, if there are three candidates the MPs vote will eliminate one: they then have another vote to indicate their preference. If there are only two candidates, then the MPs only have one vote, which is to indicate their preference. However, in both cases, the vote between two candidates is indicative only: the members then choose who will be leader and they are not bound by the MPs preference.
Indeed- so same irreconcilable 'result' as last time. MP's preference is for X; members vote for Y; 'result' here today, gone tomorrow- no 'leader' 'commanding the confidence of the House'.

Noting that Boris has just now conceded that he was not the 'winner' he deludedly thought he was but indeed a loser, he will continue to be a 'focus for disunity' on the backbenches of Western Uxbridge aka Dominican Republic and spending more time with his families, and newspaper fifth columns.

Boom Boom Boris already at his majesty's pleasure in Henley consituency at Huntercombe, 'educating' convicted found-out transgressors. Boosterist Boris next? Anyone for tennis- for a large fee?

birchesgreen

Established Member
I think the opposite.

A hell of a lot of the "Man in the Street" that the pollsters and establishment have crucially underestimated for the last few years have, as far as I can tell, been clamouring to Bring Back Boris to sort things out for the last few days. My Facebook has been full of it.
Strange, everyone i know (which tend to be women who work in offices not men in streets) think Boris is vile.

GS250

I think Sunak however will be delivering a lot of pain and will not have the same vibe with the broader electorate.

I think the country needs a boring but fiscally competent PM for the next few years. Sunak is probably the right choice for the current state of affairs. However I agree he is another John Major when it comes to appeal to the wider electorate. He will not win an election. In fact I don't think he will stop a labour majority.

Gloster

Established Member
The question is: has he done some sort of deal? I would at least have expected him to keep going a bit longer, but if Sunak has promised him something, he might have decided to throw in the towel early, whether or not he felt he had the 100 nominations. And if he has done a deal, when will we, the voters, be told...if ever?

jon0844

Veteran Member
The question is: has he done some sort of deal? I would at least have expected him to keep going a bit longer, but if Sunak has promised him something, he might have decided to throw in the towel early, whether or not he felt he had the 100 nominations. And if he has done a deal, when will we, the voters, be told...if ever?

There are rumours that since the late night meeting yesterday, Boris has been promised a good position somewhere. It won't take long to find out!

I also don't think he had the votes either.

Ianigsy

He‘ll be hoping to repeat the same trick he played in 2016. Pull out of contention for the leadership, then spend the rest of this Parliament undermining his successor in the hope that after the inevitable electoral humiliation, he can come out from the back benches to popular acclaim.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Sunak will be PM. No doubt.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Anyone believe he really had the nominations? Anyone?
No.

Perhaps more than the 59 publicly declared, some might be declared privately (as in I will support you but not publicly until you get to the magic 100 or until you are ahead of Sunak).

If he had genuinely got the 'over a 100' that his team were spreading, ably supported by the BBC through every news bulleting all day, they would have formally entered the race.

But I shall await the 1400 deadline tomorrow before opening the champagne. With things as chaotic as they are who knows what may happen.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
So what does it pay for
Mostly benefits such as the state pension.

The National Insurance Fund does provide a small proportion of funding for the NHS, but none of the monies held in the fund are used directly to pay for healthcare provisions.

NHS heathcare is mostly paid for by general taxation.

david1212

Established Member

"There is a very good chance that I would be successful in the election with Conservative Party members - and that I could indeed be back in Downing Street on Friday.

"But in the course of the last days I have sadly come to the conclusion that this would simply not be the right thing to do.

"You can't govern effectively unless you have a united party in Parliament."

Aside from if Johnson really did / would have 100+ votes the last quoted sentence from his statement is right.
On top of all Truss has walked away from Johnson has Partygate still hanging over him and the looming Privileges Committee investigation.

Sunak does not have a totally clean sheet either but it is far less blemished and as far as we know publicly nothing looming.

I think he will satisfy the financial markets and business sector, his privileged background and current personal wealth will not go down well with a significant proportion of the electorate.

As to if he can unite the party that I think will become clear very quickly. The bottom line is the tory MP's now have the choice of working together to hold out for 18+ months or be fed to the lions soon.

WatcherZero

Established Member
To say Zahawi's Telegraph opinion piece didn't age well is a colossal understatement (get ready for Boris 2.0).

Telegraph have pulled the article!

Someone from Boris camp saying he was flabbergasted as he was in an election strategy meeting with him only an hour before. To me it looks like his closest advisors set a deadline to get 100 endorsements by the end of today and despite claiming to have reached 102 in reality failed to reach it (notably they claimed to have reached that point over a day ago). Mordaunt indeed might have a chance in a party vote but must surely pull out as the distant third in MP support.

I think its now obvious that reaching out to Sunak last night and Mordaunt today asking them to withdraw in favour of him was a last ditch attempt to bluff his way to victory by pretending he held a superior hand.

Last edited:

Thirteen

I wouldn't be surprised if Mordaunt gets a better Cabinet position, she was rumoured to have wanted Transport but ended up getting Leader of the House.

Thirteen

Will Anne Marie Trevalyn remain as Transport Minister though given her support for Boris?
50/50 I'd say if Sunak doesn't fancies reshuffling the cabinet too much, I'd say JRM and James Cleverly will get the boot though.

I think he'll keep Hunt and Shapps intact as Chancellor and Home Secretary

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
50/50 I'd say if Sunak doesn't fancies reshuffling the cabinet too much, I'd say JRM and James Cleverly will get the boot though.

I think he'll keep Hunt and Shapps intact as Chancellor and Home Secretary
he needs a role for Javid maybe back in health

Status
Not open for further replies.