• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will LNER ever name Azumas in the same way that GNER, VTEC, etc did with the 91s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Can't see why any reason that would stop them from doing so

Ianno87

Veteran Member
One of the first things GNER did was de-name the Class 91s on repainting...

delt1c

Established Member
Once named a loco or unit should retain that name for life. Imagine if Flying Scotsman had been renamed for its US tour. Or the deltics renamed when transfered to York. It is like renaming people when the move regions. It is said it is unlucky to rename boats.
Azumas should be named and name carried on front rear and side of leading cars. Names should not be commercial but something the travelling public feel a bond with .

J-2739

Established Member
Perhaps if the names were intergrated in the PIS, then the average traveler would take more of a notice, and bond with the name.

Helvellyn

Established Member
Perhaps if the names were intergrated in the PIS, then the average traveler would take more of a notice, and bond with the name.
But let's hope they don't go retro and get inspiration from a now defunct US airline.

SPOILER ALERT - The easily offended, those with a weak disposition or anyone with an aversion to the 1970s should look away now. ;)

"I'm Tommy. You can ride me nonstop to York."
"I'm Laura. I've got daily Azumas from London to Scotland. Ride me."
"I'm Beryl. Millions of people rode me last year."

OB-JI089_0722MI_NS_20100721160954.jpg

01435967e74a05760f15a5fed4a5f46e--national-airlines-air-planes.jpg

8TYUB65_d.jpg

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
Once named a loco or unit should retain that name for life. Imagine if Flying Scotsman had been renamed for its US tour. Or the deltics renamed when transfered to York. It is like renaming people when the move regions. It is said it is unlucky to rename boats.
Azumas should be named and name carried on front rear and side of leading cars. Names should not be commercial but something the travelling public feel a bond with .

Why do you care so much?

J-2739

Established Member
But let's hope they don't go retro and get inspiration from a now defunct US airline.

SPOILER ALERT - The easily offended, those with a weak disposition or anyone with an aversion to the 1970s should look away now. ;)

8TYUB65_d.jpg
Haha, bet they weren't thinking when they came up with that!

Mind you, if Virgin still retained the franchise...

Monty

Established Member

To be fair, this wasn't unheard of during LNER days in the 30s and 40s. Several A4 pacifics were renamed.

DPWH

On Moderation
Name them, as a group, after racehorses, and keep the names for life. Job done, and you could even call them "Racehorses" instead of the stupid "Azuma" name.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Name them, as a group, after racehorses, and keep the names for life. Job done, and you could even call them "Racehorses" instead of the stupid "Azuma" name.

That's one that'll get those (rightly) concerned about animal welfare worked up nowadays.

herb21

There are, I think, 23 "Azumas” and were, I think, 23 "bird" A4 Pacific's. Sorted

whhistle

On Moderation
Names should not be commercial but something the travelling public feel a bond with .
I don't think the travelling public really care.
It's something only a very limited amount of people really care about.

sprinterguy

Established Member
One of the first things GNER did was de-name the Class 91s on repainting...
Though they did subsequently introduce a cohesive naming scheme on both their class 91s and HST power cars referencing destinations, local landmarks and attractions en route. That's what I prefer when it comes to naming policies.
There are, I think, 23 "Azumas” and were, I think, 23 "bird" A4 Pacific's. Sorted
There'll be a total of 65 Azumas operated by LNER. I don't see what relevance a loosely associated series of names carried by a fleet of locomotives 70 years ago has in the modern day, to be honest.

Last edited:

nat67

Established Member
If LNER did, which in this case I would very much hope not. They would do the same as GWR and name one 800 with a dozen names which are just vinyl and NOT Nameplate's which are certainly nit the same thing.

delt1c

Established Member
They could always name one Brexit, but then it would take ages to get anywhere and cost a fortune:D

delt1c

Established Member
Why do you care so much?
Why not, its a personal thing.The WR named 47's always looked a lot more majestic in the early 70,s than the unnamed ones operating other top linked services. Then in the late 70'2 early we got some really stupid names which made the loco look a laughable

a_c_skinner

Established Member
They should name them after racehorses, like some of the Deltics. Can I nominate "Blink Bonny", a horse for which a pub next to the ECML is named next to the level crossing a Christon Bank?

Mollman

Established Member

8TYUB65_d.jpg

You mean like a certain Welsh bus company did a few years ago:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...g-topless-woman-holding-ride-me-10241121.html

gazthomas

Established Member
The average passenger doesn't care a hoof. They care abour safety, cleanliness, timeliness and a fair price.

gazthomas

Established Member
But TOC marketing do care in many cases, and if it's for a worthwhile person or cause they might as well.
I get that, but I think the romantic age of rail is long, long, long behind us in this connected world. It may generate some short term interest but I maintain that naming trains has no material impact long term. I've had enough delays behind named locomotives and units!

gazthomas

Established Member
Is it? The use of brand names like gWr and classic style liveries definitely seems to be trying hard for a resurgence of it, and I think with gWr some success, too.
I don't think so, IETs and their ironing board seats hardly conjur feelings of resurgence

Status
Not open for further replies.