• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Winter timetable now out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
Why do people still call it the Winter timetable? We haven't had Summer/Winter timetables since 2004 due to an EU directive that specified a single annual principle timetable change.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Why do people still call it the Winter timetable? We haven't had Summer/Winter timetables since 2004 due to an EU directive that specified a single annual principle timetable change.

Because it's the timetable change that occurs in the winter. Nice and simple way to identify the December timetable change, given that timetable changes now occur at six month intervals, with the other in mid summer, following withdrawal of the autumn timetable in 2004.

route101

Established Member
Any timetables out in the stations yet ? Im gonna check Queen st and central tomorrow.

I've downloaded mine. It's full of errors! I've looked at 3 tables and already I've seen missing trains. The last edition was a shambles - is this much better?

Mark_re

There are one or two interesting things in the new XC timetable. Particularly the newly (re-)extended services to Southampton Central. In among them are some trains not calling at Southampton Airport Parkway and particularly the 1847 out of Basingstoke which is non-stop to Southampton Central, but timetabled to take 66 minutes. Do we think this will be routed some strange way?

Mark

barrykas

Established Member
I've downloaded mine. It's full of errors! I've looked at 3 tables and already I've seen missing trains. The last edition was a shambles - is this much better?

From a quick skim, mileages are back, trains are sorted in a sane order and trains that divide and join en route are handled properly, as are overtaken trains (see Table 25 for example).

Sadly, repeating pattern timetables still aren't handled properly, so Table 21 (Liverpool Street - Enfield Town/Cheshunt via Seven Sisters) runs to 7 pages, and Table 178 (East London Line) runs to 66 pages.

Cheers,

Barry

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In among them are some trains not calling at Southampton Airport Parkway and particularly the 1847 out of Basingstoke which is non-stop to Southampton Central, but timetabled to take 66 minutes. Do we think this will be routed some strange way?

Mark

Er... we know for definite it runs via the Laverstock curve (Salisbury avoider).

That and the various 'misssing' mainline calls have been discussed in this earlier thread, on and off since late August:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35975

PS :oops: I see you are a new member, so please just refer to the linked thread and much is explained there...

Last edited:

b0b

Established Member
The mileages are still very screwed on Table 52

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It isn't printed... if it appears too small on your screen, use Acrobat Reader's zoom function.

Polarbear

Established Member
Just had a quick scan of my local timetable (106) in the NR timetable & it seems riddled with errors!<(

The Chester - Liverpool service is upped to a 15 minute frequency as from the date of the change. The NR TT shows some rather large gaps in the service provision at Bache, (in fact a reduction at peak times over what is curently available) & all of the additional trains running non stop from Chester to Hooton.

Thankfully, Merseytravel have also published their new timetables for the route & these show no gaps, no reduction in services calling at Bache & all the additional Chester - Liverpool trains calling at Bache (but not Capenhurst which retains a 30 minute off peak frequency).

I used to rely failthfully on the network timetable for it's accuracy, but in recent years, it's almost become a joke due to the hughe number of errors it contains. It's a relief I no longer have to shell out hard earned cash for a paper copy!<(

EltonRoad

Looks like Virgin are serving breakfast later - seem that most trains up to 1100 have it now, even one or two departures after that.

moonrakerz

I suppose it would have been OK if the thread had been headed:

"Single Annual Principle Timetable Change for Dec 2010 now out"

:roll::roll:

The Planner

Veteran Member
We dont have a single change though, December is the principal, May is the subsiduary.

OMGitsDAVE

Yet again, the Durham Coast Line gets nothing out of the ordinary, same trains same times. Few minor edits, such as Grand Central timetable changes - a whole 1 minute earlier.

Zoe

Established Member
We dont have a single change though, December is the principal, May is the subsiduary.
That's what I said, a single principle annual timetable change. The May change (orignally June) is the subsiduary.

ukrob

Established Member
That's what I said, a single principle annual timetable change. The May change (orignally June) is the subsiduary.

Do you think that rolls off the tongue better, and would be easier for the public to remember than 'summer' and 'winter' timetable changes?

Daft question of course - but so you was your orignal statement.

I believe Northern are having a large recast in May next year, is that still happening?

nedchester

Established Member
Just had a quick scan of my local timetable (106) in the NR timetable & it seems riddled with errors!<(

The Chester - Liverpool service is upped to a 15 minute frequency as from the date of the change. The NR TT shows some rather large gaps in the service provision at Bache, (in fact a reduction at peak times over what is curently available) & all of the additional trains running non stop from Chester to Hooton.

Thankfully, Merseytravel have also published their new timetables for the route & these show no gaps, no reduction in services calling at Bache & all the additional Chester - Liverpool trains calling at Bache (but not Capenhurst which retains a 30 minute off peak frequency).

I used to rely failthfully on the network timetable for it's accuracy, but in recent years, it's almost become a joke due to the hughe number of errors it contains. It's a relief I no longer have to shell out hard earned cash for a paper copy!<(

The National timetable is a joke.

I still say that I cannot see the point of not stopped the extra services at Capenhurst which does get a fair bit of use (admittedly from me!!) for the sake of one minute. The arguement that it makes the turnarounds more 'robust' doesn't really wash.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

I still say that I cannot see the point of not stopped the extra services at Capenhurst which does get a fair bit of use (admittedly from me!!) for the sake of a one minute. The arguement that it makes the turnarounds more 'robust' doesn't really wash.

That makes you sound enormously self centred and egocentric which I am sure you aren't really! I'm sure you don't mean that the entire national timetable is a joke simply because you want mroe trains at your local station?!

nedchester

Established Member
That makes you sound enormously self centred and egocentric which I am sure you aren't really! I'm sure you don't mean that the entire national timetable is a joke simply because you want mroe trains at your local station?!

Ha! Ha! Very good!!

The National Timetable is a massive inaccurate joke. Years ago people used to make jokes about the BR timetable being put in the 'fiction' section, now it is true.

I still maintain that the new Merseyrail service is great but you might as well stop the trains at all stations as the timetable only shows a one minute saving in one direction only by not stopping at Capenhurst!

ukrob

Established Member

I still say that I cannot see the point of not stopped the extra services at Capenhurst which does get a fair bit of use (admittedly from me!!) for the sake of one minute. The arguement that it makes the turnarounds more 'robust' doesn't really wash.

Where are you getting one minute from?

The timetable states a three minute saving.

That almost doubles the turnaround time at Chester from four to seven minutes.

Am I looking at a different timetable to everyone else?

nedchester

Established Member
Where are you getting one minute from?

The timetable states a three minute saving.

That almost doubles the turnaround time at Chester from four to seven minutes.

Am I looking at a different timetable to everyone else?

Looking at this:

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/articleimages/Wirral Line from 12 December 2010 to 21 May 2011.pdf

The fasts leave Chester at 01 and 31 having arrived at 26 and 56 (a five minute turn around instead of 4)

The 'slows' leave Chester at 15 and 45 having arrived ar 11 and 41 (still the present 4 minute turnaround as now!)

The national timetable version is wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.