• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woolworths Bargains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John_158

I noticed the one in St.Helens, Merseyside has gone too as appeared that way on New years day.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Woolworths Filton is pretty much the same, except they have less soap dishes than they did yesterday. It's down to about 10% of the shop floor though.

TEW

Established Member

me123

Established Member
^That's my old Woolies on the way to Uni and it will be sadly missed :(

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There was nothing of note in the Hull one today. I managed to pick up a can of proper orange juice, a crunchie and a drumstick, all for less than £1. Not too shabby :).

P156KWJ

Established Member
darn this is annoying me! Turns out the one in Nottingham closed early as the rent was due, so what was the point in renewing I suppose

Z12XE

This one's for Death

Woolworth Sudbury are selling their Computers and Tills.

Server is £200, Tills £100 and PCs £75, so if any Wollies left in your area, try ringing around if you want such stuff!!

metrocammel

The one in Colchester was supposed to shut on the 5th, however it was closed and stripped bare earlier today.

I engaged in the 80% sales at the Fort William Woolies. They closed down on the 29th, I bought about £60 worth of stuff, for about £12!!! I missed the 90% sales, but I imagine by the time they had done them, there'd be nothing left- the Fort Bill shop had already been decimated by 12am!! While I was in there, there was a chap who appeared to buy the whole remaining stock on the sweet aisle!

Death

Established Member
This one's for Death
Woolworth Sudbury are selling their Computers and Tills.

Server is £200, Tills £100 and PCs £75, so if any Wollies left in your area, try ringing around if you want such stuff!!
Cheers for that, Great Eastern! As it happens, I popped into Farnborough on Saturday to enquire about steel shelf-backings and the manager informed me of the new development regarding I.T. equipment! 8)

As a result, I've now managed to secure myself first-refusal on Farnborough's store server (A Hewlett Packard ProLiant with six-disk RAID and Intel Xeon CPU(s) - Specific spec unknown) and two EPoS setups for a bundle price of £300.00! I'm going to wander down later today to confirm and sort out any necessary paperwork. <D

Following on from that as well, I'm also going to contact the receivers and enquire if the unsold I.T. equipment will be auctioned off at some point (I'd imagine this is quite likely) and if so I'll probabally build up some funds and attend. Indeed, if RailUK uses it's own dedicated server, then this could be an ideal opportunity to grab a newer, better server for the site as well! If I get any updates regarding such auctions, I'll post them here. 8)

All of the above aside though, I'm still going to miss seeing Woolies on the high-street. After all, they've been trading for around 100 years now (A short period by my definition, but significant nonetheless) and it's such a shame to see a really good and reliable company like them go down the drain... :sad:

WillPS

Established Member
Might nip to Matlock tomorrow on the new Nottingham - Matlock service to see Woolies out. It's such a shame.

There must be loads of EPoS systems still to sell, Nottingham's were all in place when I peered through the windows earlier today, obviously waiting to be collected. Whoever owns the systems has clearly accepted a cash lump sum rather than collect them and struggle to sell them.

The Coca-Cola cabinets were also in situation in Nottingham, these were owned by The Coca-Cola Company though so God knows what'll happen to them. When I worked at The Entertainer just upstairs there were rumors floating around that most of that shop was to be turned into a Sainsbury's, with a small amount left for catalogue sales, Pick 'n' Mix/Drinks and Entertainment.

I'm not convinced this is the last we'll see of Woolworths, the brand will probably be salvaged for something or other.

I was in Norwich on Saturday and nipped in to Zavvi there and was shocked to see the shop was still very much in mid-90s Megastore mode, anyway I was snapping some pictures with my phone as I tend to with things like this and this geezer comes over and tells me that I'm not allowed to take pictures (???) without the managers permission. I asked him if I could speak to the manager then and he said "you'll have to wait and see one of those members of staff" - why he couldn't do it is beyond me but anyway I'd taken the pictures of what I wanted to, if anybody wants to see them let me know and I'll upload :).

Death

Established Member
There must be loads of EPoS systems still to sell, Nottingham's were all in place when I peered through the windows earlier today, obviously waiting to be collected. Whoever owns the systems has clearly accepted a cash lump sum rather than collect them and struggle to sell them.
From what I've seen after taking a close look at Farnborough's EPoS units the other day, the EPoS systems themselves are quite an old design - I would guess 386/486 or P133 based - And it's probabally much more cost effective to sell them off at whatever price they can get for them, then to return them and then try to redistribute them to other businesses, assuming they are/were leased systems. 8)

Obviously the systems themselves were upgraded back in 2007CE with Chip+PIN compliant card-readers, but aside from that they look to me to be mid-90's spec systems. I'd hazard a guess that if Woolies wern't currently in receivership, then their EPoS systems would've probabally been sheduled for complete replacement at some point this or next year anyway. :)

The Coca-Cola cabinets were also in situation in Nottingham, these were owned by The Coca-Cola Company though so God knows what'll happen to them.
AFAIK those fridges are leased from Schwepps Beverages, and would probabally be returned to them once empty and shut-down. In the case of older and less efficient units though, it's possible that Schwepps might've offered the fridges to the receivers at a low price (Or cost free in the case of much older units) for resale or auction. :)

I was in Norwich on Saturday and nipped in to Zavvi there and was shocked to see the shop was still very much in mid-90s Megastore mode, anyway I was snapping some pictures with my phone as I tend to with things like this and this geezer comes over and tells me that I'm not allowed to take pictures (???) without the managers permission. I asked him if I could speak to the manager then and he said "you'll have to wait and see one of those members of staff" - why he couldn't do it is beyond me but anyway I'd taken the pictures of what I wanted to, if anybody wants to see them let me know and I'll upload :).
In my knowlege and experience, one does need permission from a site manager or similar authority before taking photographs or recordings of any description within private property. Although this applies everywhere in theory - Including shopping centres, railway stations and stores - Such rules are normally only exercised inside certain business premesis, cinemas/galleries and night-clubs. :)

On the subject of Zavvi though: Are there any indications that they might sell-off their store systems and equipment close to the end of their trading, or was the "Everything must go" sale at Woolies an unusual (And very good) idea on the part of the receivers? <D

Guinness

Established Member
I said "How much for the Till" and got the response "We can't sell it as it doesn't have a Bar Code".

Fair enough.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I found nothing good in the Woolworths sales!

Video games (mainly what I was after) were terribly priced. They were still more expensive at their sale price than buying online.

Personally, I blame Play.com for all these businesses going bust!

Z12XE

Video games (mainly what I was after) were terribly priced. They were still more expensive at their sale price than buying online.

Yes, quite ironic that when our local store had some left they were 50% - off, but they were still cheaper just up the road in Argos who were selling most of them for just under £20.

And people wonder why Woolies struggled!

me123

Established Member
The strange thing about Woolies was that some stores (Airdrie and Coatbridge, for example) were absolutely terrible; no one shopped there and there wasn't much you couldn't buy in Asda or Tesco.

But some, like Byers Road, were very good shops. It was a great place to buy just about anything and it's very convenient for the university students. It was frequently queued out the door, and the staff were always rushed off their feet!

I just wonder if that shop on its own was profitable; I'm sure it was. It's a great loss.

John_158

The one in Liverpool St.Johns Ctr has now closed as from yesterday i think a great shame thogh affer 100 years.

It seems as though M&S is the next one to go !

metrocammel

The one in Liverpool St.Johns Ctr has now closed as from yesterday i think a great shame thogh affer 100 years.

It seems as though M&S is the next one to go !

Yesterday?? I thought the final few closed on the 5th? Did they extend it to the 8th?

RIP Woolworths 1909-2009.

WillPS

Established Member
6th.

That particular shop was on Radio 4, the staff all counted down as the shutter came down for the final time, heart wrenching stuff really.

John_158

It is belived that Liverpool Shop is going to become another pound land type of shop :-
Pound World i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.