• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work Place Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quaver

Just curious as to what other peoples Pet Peeves are in the work place, whether it be from Colleagues, or customers/clients e.g.

• I work in a call centre that consists of Hot Desking, and it thoroughly pees me off when someone has sat at the desk before me and not left the desk in a clean tidy condition, rubbish on the desk, bits of crap all over the place and paperwork left out (which considering we are a paperless office is another story)
  • When I get a call and ask a customer for some information, and they reply back to me with completely different information e.g.
    • Me "Can I take your name please"
    • Customer "Hi is this XXX Train station" or "Yea I am calling on behalf of Mr Smith"
I have so so many more, and some are probably make me out to be a crank but I am interested in other peoples first :smile:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bromley boy

Established Member
Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

- Rubbish/other detritus left in train cabs;

- Poor/non functioning cab air con (less of an issue at other times of year);

- watch tappers on platforms;

- being brought down to red which comes off as soon as I hit SG;

- drunks and others who do dangerous things and/or become abusive to staff.

Gemz91

People speaking loudly on their mobile phones in the (small) mess room. It's a mobile phone, go stand in the corridor away from other people who don't want to hear your phone conversation or want to talk with other people.

pdeaves

Established Member
The person at the next desk who, every afternoon (as in, 100% of occasions so far), consumes an entire pack of Polos in a two-hour slot, crunching every one really slowly. Today I ended up finding an excuse to go somewhere else for a while.
The daft thing is that this individual uses artificial sweeteners in their drinks!

bramling

Veteran Member
Just curious as to what other peoples Pet Peeves are in the work place, whether it be from Colleagues, or customers/clients e.g.

• I work in a call centre that consists of Hot Desking, and it thoroughly pees me off when someone has sat at the desk before me and not left the desk in a clean tidy condition, rubbish on the desk, bits of crap all over the place and paperwork left out (which considering we are a paperless office is another story)
  • When I get a call and ask a customer for some information, and they reply back to me with completely different information e.g.
    • Me "Can I take your name please"
    • Customer "Hi is this XXX Train station" or "Yea I am calling on behalf of Mr Smith"
I have so so many more, and some are probably make me out to be a crank but I am interested in other peoples first :smile:

People who make a mistake of some sort, have a mess up as a result, and then blame it on everyone else.

People who speak poor English and then speak to fluent speakers as if the latter is the problem.

And, most of all, people who take on a job which they’re too incompetent to carry out, then pick holes in others to overshadow their own incompetence, or who do silly things to try to make a name for themselves. In the latter case I recall one particularly stupid individual thought that delivering a load of cups to senior management with a “kind regards from...” note conspicuously attached would help him get a promotion!

Last edited:

Quaver

Microsoft Office 2013
Email quotas

What is wrong with Office 2013? I use it in work, I quite like it, I was brought up on Office 2003 and I still use it at home though so I am used to ancient Office (I do still much prefer Windows 95 I will not deny, so simple and easy to use)

I am glad to see other people have similar ones to me (mostly the cleanlieness haha)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
What is wrong with Office 2013? I use it in work, I quite like it, I was brought up on Office 2003 and I still use it at home though so I am used to ancient Office (I do still much prefer Windows 95 I will not deny, so simple and easy to use)

I am glad to see other people have similar ones to me (mostly the cleanlieness haha)

It's never worked properly since we "upgraded" to it. And why do I have to click on fifteen different boxes now just to open a chuffin worksheet ?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Bosses who embrace NewManagementSpeak and constantly trumpet phrases like "There's no 'i' in team".
(usual response is "aye, there's no 'f' in management either")

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Being self employed and having to replace any broken tools out of your own pocket.
Having no holiday pay.
Having no sick pay.
Having to do your own books and worrying that you may have made a mistake.
Having to be organised with everything because there’s nobody else that you can blame if something goes wrong.
Having people tell me that it must be great being your own boss.
Going to B&Q at 7:45 in the evening because you’ve forgotten something that you’ll need in the morning and there’s nowhere else open.
The smell of Dulux.

And breath...
No hang on, don’t breath because it’s toxic.

alxndr

Established Member
  • People who don't tidy up after themselves
  • People who put more energy into not doing their job than they would have done doing it properly in the first place
  • People who can't respect their tools
  • People who don't properly explain what they have/haven't done on handover

43021HST

Established Member
People who get anal over tidiness, I like a bit of order at my desk however I don't expect people to spend their breaks mopping the moniters and hoovering the ceiling.

Workplace pettiness. It's a beautiful world yet somehow you hold onto Sharon arriving 10 minutes late a week ago, or John talking to customers slightly too long.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Bosses who embrace NewManagementSpeak and constantly trumpet phrases like "There's no 'i' in team".
(usual response is "aye, there's no 'f' in management either")

There is, in any case...

there_is_an_i_in_team_its_just_hidden_in_the_a-hole._3593495166.png

:D

Quaver

People who get anal over tidiness, I like a bit of order at my desk however I don't expect people to spend their breaks mopping the moniters and hoovering the ceiling.

I am not expecting it to be the pinnacle of clean like a hospital, I just don't want to be have to come in and sit at a desk with crumbs or food or empty drinks cans/bottles/cups and random strips of paper all over the desk, especially since on the way out we have to walk past 4 sets of bins (one on the floor and 4 in the corridor to the building exit)

gnolife

Established Member
As an former office cleaner, I had a strict instruction not to touch any paperwork left on desks. It used to really get my blood boiling when said piles of paperwork had coffee cup stains under them, and the workers that use those desks would complain to my boss about me not doing my job right, with me not having any way to explain that there was papers all over the desk, because I was not allowed to take pictures of the desks.

Termy

• People who tell me how to do my job, when they have no idea what I do, how to do it, or anything.
  • People who feign ignorance of a problem, and leave it for someone else to clean up.
  • People who propose system changes or updates without any knowledge on the current system. Even five minutes of research would tell you we can't do something. Hell, even asking me would take five seconds. I knew our system very well.
    • (Thankfully I am transitioning to a new employer, a new department and a new city, so I can work around the above three. Maybe.)
  • People. (I'm antisocial. So what? :P)
I could probably go on forever, but my blood is already boiling over.

pemma

Veteran Member
Those who play the heating/cooling system in an office because they think it's not getting warm enough quickly or not cooling down quickly enough, then it actually finishes up heating up the office to 28oC in middle of winter or cooling it down to 16oC in the middle of summer.

pemma

Veteran Member

Outlook 2003 was the most efficient one. Microsoft tried to bring in Microsoft Word features for Outlook 2007 and a lot of emails which appeared 100% correct in 2003 started appearing incorrectly e.g. additional line breaks, fonts appearing the wrong size etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.