• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work Place Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
People who get anal over tidiness, I like a bit of order at my desk however I don't expect people to spend their breaks mopping the moniters and hoovering the ceiling.

That can be an issue in many workplaces. Someone sees their desk, computer and phone as theirs when in fact if they are off sick or on holiday it might be necessary for someone else to use them, who shouldn't have to spend time cleaning equipment before they can start using it to work. I'm not saying it should be immaculate but there shouldn't be sticky buttons due to someone eating something sticky while at their desks or not washing their hands or a monitor with something splashed on it which hasn't been wiped clean.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quaver

Outlook 2003 was the most efficient one. Microsoft tried to bring in Microsoft Word features for Outlook 2007 and a lot of emails which appeared 100% correct in 2003 started appearing incorrectly e.g. additional line breaks, fonts appearing the wrong size etc.

If I remember right, I think Office 2003 speaks for itself just for how long it took for them to decide to release a new one, its like Windows XP Service Pack 2, it took 7 years for them to make a new OS because it just worked perfectly, and it was the same for Office, then when they realeased the new version it had so much b******t and didnt work like people wanted and were used too, office 2010 come around they tried to reminice what 03 was like (but that is just my opinon)

Temple Meads

Established Member
As an former office cleaner, I had a strict instruction not to touch any paperwork left on desks. It used to really get my blood boiling when said piles of paperwork had coffee cup stains under them, and the workers that use those desks would complain to my boss about me not doing my job right, with me not having any way to explain that there was papers all over the desk, because I was not allowed to take pictures of the desks.

As a current office cleaner I can see how annoying that must've been!

We aren't told not to move paperwork, but cluttered desks are a pain.

Most annoying thing about this job is equipment and chemical supplies not being replenished.

gg1

Established Member
It's never worked properly since we "upgraded" to it. And why do I have to click on fifteen different boxes now just to open a chuffin worksheet ?

My office downgraded from Office 2010 to 2016 (which I think isn't massively different to 2013) last year and I can't stand it.

I'm a heavy excel user, problems I've found are:
  • Editing charts is now a clunkier process with more clicking required
  • To copy and paste the file path into an email is now 2 clicks rather than 1 - I know it's minor but it bugs me as it's an utterly pointless change, much like...
  • ...the annoying animations when navigating around worksheets
  • Very large spreadsheets with large numbers of complex formulas and VBA take longer to refresh in 2016 than in 2010 - this is the biggie and why I refer to it as a downgrade.

43021HST

Established Member
That can be an issue in many workplaces. Someone sees their desk, computer and phone as theirs when in fact if they are off sick or on holiday it might be necessary for someone else to use them, who shouldn't have to spend time cleaning equipment before they can start using it to work. I'm not saying it should be immaculate but there shouldn't be sticky buttons due to someone eating something sticky while at their desks or not washing their hands or a monitor with something splashed on it which hasn't been wiped clean.

Im in favour of banning food at desks, it stops the build up of dirt and it means managers can't expect workers to have their lunch whilst working (al desko).

May I add I dont like dirt, but I dont mind a bif of mess (there is a difference!). In fact I like a bit of clutter as it keeps it looking personal but cant stand food mess.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
  • Talking in insider jargon to new starters, and expecting them to magically understand.
  • Another vote for empty management speak.
  • Essential support staff (for example switchboard operators) being subcontracted out and staffed entirely by agency temps (looking at YOU, Asda!)

gg1

Established Member
Im in favour of banning food at desks, it stops the build up of dirt and it means managers can't expect workers to have their lunch whilst working (al desko).

All well and good if your workplace has a canteen or staff room but many don't.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There is, in any case...

there_is_an_i_in_team_its_just_hidden_in_the_a-hole._3593495166.png

:D
There may be no I in team, but there is a "me"... ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
As a current office cleaner I can see how annoying that must've been!

We aren't told not to move paperwork, but cluttered desks are a pain.

Most annoying thing about this job is equipment and chemical supplies not being replenished.

Imagine if you had been a cleaner at the time smoking still took place in offices - ash in every nook and cranny and all the ahstrays to empty !!!

You have it easy today !!!:E

al78

Established Member
People who have foghorn-like voices, and feel the need to practically shout at each other even when they are standing half a meter away from each other (seems to be common amongst those of a far east nationality).

People who haven't been house trained, and think part of their contract includes having an army of servants to clean up after them.

Helicopter management.

Being made aware of an urgent technical problem, I say I'm working on it, then manager comes in five minutes later going hammer hammer hammer it's still not working. No, it is a problem that requires care and concentration to fix, and you coming in here whinging at me is actually making me take longer, thanks to having to stop to listen to you, now sod off.

People who feel the need to have conversations whilst standing across a narrow corridor, completely blocking it, when they are meters away from 200 sq meters of empty space in the nearby common room with lots of chairs.

rdeez

In no particular order...
  • People whose first instinct is to arrange a meeting about something, when there's really nothing that couldn't be said in a quick email or on the phone
  • Getting a phone call and finding out I'm on speaker in a meeting, without prior warning
  • Meetings generally!
  • Emails followed up literally seconds later with a phone call that starts with "I've just sent you an email, have you seen/read it?"
  • Out of offices still on, days or weeks after the person got back from the absence that the out of office refers to

yorksrob

Veteran Member
In no particular order...
  • People whose first instinct is to arrange a meeting about something, when there's really nothing that couldn't be said in a quick email or on the phone
  • Getting a phone call and finding out I'm on speaker in a meeting, without prior warning
  • Meetings generally!
  • Emails followed up literally seconds later with a phone call that starts with "I've just sent you an email, have you seen/read it?"
  • Out of offices still on, days or weeks after the person got back from the absence that the out of office refers to

I suspect the last one is a strategy to deflect the previous four !

pemma

Veteran Member

That reminds me of a client who phoned up where I used to work. She asked to speak to the most senior person in my team (he was on a 30 minute call at the time) when she was told that she said "Oh I'll send him an email then." Ten minutes later she phones back again asking why something has gone live as scheduled when she sent an email asking for it to be postponed! There were 5 other people who could have actioned her request if she'd only said what it was on the phone.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
-People who just delete all the e-mails they recieve when on holiday in the expectation of "if it's important, they'll send again"

-People who the second something isn't done copy in manager (and manager's manger if you're really naughty), or the entire world, without attempting to deal with issue directly first.

-Huge e-mail chains between a large distribution list, where everyone Replies All again and again and again, eventually getting to the stage of people repeatedly Replying All with "Please Stop Replying to All!" (The irony). My record is over 100 in a chain

-Anybody of any seniority who behaves like they're more important than everyone else, especially when they know how to abuse this/put people in their place to get their way (especially if just a cover for not actually being very good at their job)

-The biggest peeve of all - Anybody who has to bully or do actions that result in other people cryimg in order to do their job. No place at all for this in any workplace.

OuterDistant

Managers not knowing what your job role and/or job title is.

I find this particularly enjoyable when they are showing somebody new around, just to see what they think my job is, given they're supposed to be in charge.

al78

Established Member
essentially this boils down to one issue: People ;)

Not really, some (many) people are fine. It comes down to two issues, thoughtlessness and incompetence. The former is a plague everywhere in society, not just the workplace. We seem to live in a world now where individuals just can't be bothered to think, as though evolution of mankind through to the sentient intelligent large brained capable of logic and reason animal, is gradually being reversed.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Not really, some (many) people are fine. It comes down to two issues, thoughtlessness and incompetence. The former is a plague everywhere in society, not just the workplace. We seem to live in a world now where individuals just can't be bothered to think, as though evolution of mankind through to the sentient intelligent large brained capable of logic and reason animal, is gradually being reversed.

I guarantee you do something that annoys people where you work. We all do.

james60059

I work in a warehouse, and it's people who stand around talking instead of working. Funnily enough at break times, they'll all sit in the canteen with their heads in the phones and not say one iota to each other :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I guarantee you do something that annoys people where you work. We all do.
I annoyed some people today, by blowing some filler dust into a smoke detector that I hadn’t noticed and forcing an entire five story building to evacuate.
I was also annoyed with myself at doing this.

PeterC

Established Member
People who turned up at my desk with a non urgent requirement when they could have emailed and then expecting it to be actioned while they wait.

People who "reply all" on an email to acknowledge receipt.

People who insist on emailing individuals when there is a team mailbox which would have the problem attended to by the first person available. Not helped by team members who thing that the team mailbox is for everybody else

Butts

Veteran Member
I annoyed some people today, by blowing some filler dust into a smoke detector that I hadn’t noticed and forcing an entire five story building to evacuate.

I bet smokers appreciated your faux pas, enabling an unscheduled fag break !!!

Clip

Established Member

This shouldn't annoy you because you have learned something today and the place where you work has done a real time this is not a test fire evacuation - these are very important as trials don't really show up any deficiencies in the plans or how people do them

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not to mention personel departments that don't have the account closed.

Mostly it's down to lazy managers who can't be bothered filling out a short form to get the account closed.

Heck it was only a couple years ago this company I work for carried on paying someone who had left for a good 6 months before anybody noticed he was still on the books, they didn't get any of the money back.

Domh245

Established Member
Chuckling to myself about the people moaning about various editions of MS office. We have office on our laptops, but any shared stuff (as well as emails, calendar, etc) is in Google's GSuite. I'm not sure what I hate about it most, the uncanny valley-ness of it all, where it does most of what you need but certain things are impossible or more difficult, or the fact that we're moving to Office 365 in the near future and no doubt everything will get broken!

Status
Not open for further replies.