• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Working on a volunteer line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascot

Established Member
Hi does anyone on the forum work on a Preserved line and if so which one?

For me i'm Severn Valley Railway and despite being one of the most popular it's hardly mentioned on here.

EDIT: As a Shunter training to become a TTI then a guard

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
I'm a Fireman, Trackman and General Dogsbody on the Kent & East Sussex Railway. Ive even had 96012 on my footplate once!

Guinness

Established Member
I'm a Ticket Inspector and Station Staff at Great Central in Loughborough. :) Hoping to be a Guard one day, damn age....

Established Member
I'm a Fireman, Trackman and General Dogsbody on the Kent & East Sussex Railway. Ive even had 960012 on my footplate once!

Yer that was so much fun, you'll have to come have a play at cockcrow! although i think i need to touch up on my firing skills!

The 158 Man

I'm a Guard on the NYMR.

They've also just asked me to start my DMU Driver Training.

Coxster

Established Member
I'm TheSlash's slave at two sites, focusing on permanant way.

The Snap

Established Member
I work at the Diesel Department at the East Lancs Railway, with 55022, 40145 and the rest of the fleet :razz:

I hope to start my Second Man training when I turn 18...:)

Mushroom

Im station staff at the ELR and currently playing Ops Assistant (Token Runner) on Sunday during the Temporary Timetable.

The 158 Man

Nice :) What DMUs are there at NYMR?

There's only one so far, and that's a Class 101 (101 680). It's currently in BR Green livery with small yellow warning panels, but I'm lead to believe that this is about to change to something along the lines (parden the pun!) of white and blue!

It's a two car unit at the moment, with the centre car to be added shortly once the interior is finished I think!

They also have a Thumper 2 Car DEMU in Connex, but that's been sat in Belmont Sidings at Grosmont since they bought it!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Used to be doing a shunter training course on the SVR, but gave that up. Just not my thing.

Some of the SVR staff are just horrible anyway! Indeed, the trainer shunter I had was a prat and a half...Not working with people like him! Besides, the line is far too anti-diesel for my liking.

Ascot

Established Member
Used to be doing a shunter training course on the SVR, but gave that up. Just not my thing.

Some of the SVR staff are just horrible anyway! Indeed, the trainer shunter I had was a prat and a half...Not working with people like him! Besides, the line is far too anti-diesel for my liking.

Yeah i was a Shunter at Kiddie but now i'v just been put on the Platform Staff.

I'v NEVER met a nasty worker EVER! On my 6 months on the railway and i know alot of people now. I know the bloke your on about... Big tall bloke...

I have to agree with the anti-diesel thing, i was up today and me and a few at Bewdley was talking how some are like that. Oh and how you say "the line" it's only the older non opperating side of the company that think this as the working side do not mind. Mainly the people who are share holders that put £2 and think they can decide what goes.

Nick

Work in the diesel side of the GCRN and currently training as a TTI at the GCR. Hoping enxt month to join the Diesel side of the GCR shortly though :)

Tomnick

Established Member
Signalman on the GCR, as well as a general p-way/S&T dogsbody when I'm not in a box. Not forgetting where it all started for me, I'm also a signalman on the North Norfolk whenever I get chance to get chance to get down there - which isn't anywhere near as often as I'd like.

Enjoyed every moment on both railways anyway! Can't say I've - in a good few years on both railways - met the 'horrible staff' element either. Yes, I've had one or two disagreements, but that's only to be expected in any working environment. Adds to the experience ;).

The 158 Man

There's a couple of really arrogant staff on the NYMR, but I just try to get on with it.

At the end of the day I'm there to do a job and if I have to liase with these people, then so be it! :boxing:

Tomnick

Established Member
Could be a shunt signal they are not in the air .....
We've got several shunt signals that (unless they've fallen off the post in the last few days) are most certainly a fair way above the ground ;).

D107

I'm a driver (steam, diesel and DMU) on the Barry Island Railway as well as being a member of the diesel group and maintaining restoring the diesel fleet. For my sins I also run the website and yahoo group.

Not a grumpy bunny amongst us!

Nick.

Moodster020

Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway- in the diesel dept (mostly a painting dogsbody) for about 5 or so years now. Although i'm starting to do other bits, usually carparking on events.

Will say, the working membership there is young compared to other preserved lines, most in the teens-30's/40's age range, they're always a hoot as well!

43021HST

Established Member
I'm a volunteer at the Mid Hants Railway. At Ropley Locosheds I cant wait until I get my PTS so I can go to the Sidings at Alresford where most of the diesels and DMUs are.

Status
Not open for further replies.