• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst Interior / Colour Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
As i'm looking at my pair of 153s above my computer at the moment, Wessex Trains's Class 153s were very bad - Very low down Class 158 seats which made a view out of the window almost nigh on impossible, with a rather garish coloured carpet that was almost never cleaned, come to think of it most of the Wessex Trains fleet was relatively bad inside!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The worst for me is anything that was originally ordered/refurbished by a FirstGroup TOC between 5-10 years ago, when they had the habit of painting everything pink/purple. The 322s would definitely fall into that, they're absolutely hideous (though far more comfortable than the 321/9s). The 175s and GC's 180s are another- The old FG mocquette looks very tired on the 180s, and the remaining bits of FG branding on the inside of the 175s just sticks out like a sore thumb... :roll:

Bulleid

The 175s and GC's 180s are another- The old FG mocquette looks very tired on the 180s, and the remaining bits of FG branding on the inside of the 175s just sticks out like a sore thumb... :roll:

I agree the original 175 & 180 interiors were horrible, especially in their run down condition circa 2008/2009. Do GC's 180s still have these original interiors? If so that's disgusting for a long distance operator. The 175s look a lot better with their Arriva seat covers.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
My vote goes to the 'Oldham Loop 5' 142s which have purple seats and brown flooring, with the ex-LM 150s at Northern with purple seats and green flooring not too far behind.

The 175s and GC's 180s are another- The old FG mocquette looks very tired on the 180s, and the remaining bits of FG branding on the inside of the 175s just sticks out like a sore thumb... :roll:

I like both 180s and 175s but I couldn't agree more. Traveled on 4 175s on Tuesday between Crewe and Colwyn Bay and the Arriva moquette is fine and so is the comfort on board (leg room was a significant improvement on the 153 I travelled on from Derby) but the FNW purple and grey inside needs to go. It makes the train look very drab inside. Not to mention the fact it's getting dirty now - but that's not much different to the rest of the ATW fleet.

al.currie93

I agree the original 175 & 180 interiors were horrible, especially in their run down condition circa 2008/2009. Do GC's 180s still have these original interiors? If so that's disgusting for a long distance operator. The 175s look a lot better with their Arriva seat covers.

Yes they do still have the same interior, and it looks very faded. It's also a horrible clash with the livery; you see a jet black train with orange decals on the outside (which I'm not overly fond of anyway) then go inside and see a bright blue-green and purple worn interior and do a bit of a double-take and for a moment think "What's just happened?!" Or I did at least :P

I can imaginr some people wondering if they've boarded the wrong train if a GC 180 was stationed next to an FHT 180 ha!

user15681

Established Member
The First Great Eastern green/grey interior of most of the aGA 321's
http://train-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/13254.jpg
I used to dislike the inside of 315's with the blue and pink but its grown on me :oops::oops:

I was on a 321 the other day with that interior and it felt so sad inside. You're lucky that picture was taken on a sunny day, the interior feels even worse when it's wet and grey outside. Just so dull and depressing.

387star

On Moderation
I like both 180s and 175s but I couldn't agree more. Traveled on 4 175s on Tuesday between Crewe and Colwyn Bay and the Arriva moquette is fine and so is the comfort on board (leg room was a significant improvement on the 153 I travelled on from Derby) but the FNW purple and grey inside needs to go. It makes the train look very drab inside. Not to mention the fact it's getting dirty now - but that's not much different to the rest of the ATW fleet.

Strange the purple and grey side panels went replaced when they were refurbished otherwise a fantastic refurbishment I also think ATWs uniform is particularly smart

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yes they do still have the same interior, and it looks very faded. It's also a horrible clash with the livery; you see a jet black train with orange decals on the outside (which I'm not overly fond of anyway) then go inside and see a bright blue-green and purple worn interior and do a bit of a double-take and for a moment think "What's just happened?!" Or I did at least :P

I can imaginr some people wondering if they've boarded the wrong train if a GC 180 was stationed next to an FHT 180 ha!

It's rather threadbare on a lot of them, too. Just about the only think that's changed is the addition of Monopoly/Chess boards on the tables. Perhaps that would be enough to alert any confused HT/GC passengers...

fgwrich

Established Member

It shouldn't be that difficult surely, given the GC Chess boards on the tables of the GC ones with the old First Group interior, and the nice and smart refurbished 180s with the new First Group colours in the Hull Trains versions?

al.currie93

It shouldn't be that difficult surely, given the GC Chess boards on the tables of the GC ones with the old First Group interior, and the nice and smart refurbished 180s with the new First Group colours in the Hull Trains versions?

I know I know :P was meant as a bit of a joke :P ha!

shaun

First Class on Thameslink 319s in the late 90s-00s. Horrid, who would've wanted to pay for that?! Ok Standard wasn't too comfortable, but it hurt your eyes just looking at First.

hassaanhc

Established Member
I was on a 321 the other day with that interior and it felt so sad inside. You're lucky that picture was taken on a sunny day, the interior feels even worse when it's wet and grey outside. Just so dull and depressing.

At least the fluorescent lights have reflectors rather than the thick diffusers used in the Class 456 among others, now that is what you call dark and dingy

Strange the purple and grey side panels went replaced when they were refurbished otherwise a fantastic refurbishment I also think ATWs uniform is particularly smart

I've just re-read my message before and part of it didn't make sense to me before. Oops. But yes, it is a good refurbishment but the purple and grey side panels really need replacing because it ruins the look of the train in general IMO.

BestWestern

Established Member
Helvellyn:1777076 said:
Try the prototype refurbished 4-CEP. The full refurbishment toned things down a bit.

I have to say I rather like that, in a funky.70s kind of way!

By far the most awful interior effort for me is the previous ATW moquette of mid green with purple flashes. It would be less horrific if it were an old scheme from years ago that was just awaiting replacement, but of course they were in fact still fitting the stuff up until very recently. Just horrible! :-/

fgwrich

Established Member
Try the prototype refurbished 4-CEP. The full refurbishment toned things down a bit.

I never liked it when it came out, but now, to my adult eyes, it looks rather tasteful.

I rather agree with you actually, the toned down version does look comparatively dull compared to the prototype, although I'm not sure about the green top half of the seats and olive coloured cushion. Could be worse though, as FGW were originally looking at something equally as bright as the 4 CEP prototype which would have seen the original seats retained before the capacity issues were taken into account:

http://shed83a.smugmug.com/Coaching...31035_JkkL7d#!i=1421303546&k=gMjfc3X&lb=1&s=A

Drsatan

Established Member
The erstwhile Wessex Trains also tried out a prototype livery which, in my opinion, looks pretty horrific, and is nowhere near as 'clean' as the livery later chosen. Here is a pic

387star

On Moderation
The erstwhile Wessex Trains also tried out a prototype livery which, in my opinion, looks pretty horrific, and is nowhere near as 'clean' as the livery later chosen. Here is a pic

That was actually wales and west but thanks for the picture few about

samuelmorris

Established Member

I actually quite like that :D - Although they probably seemed pretty outrageous at the time, I'm growing a soft spot for over-the-top 1970s colours. So much brown and orange!

The Great Western HSTs is an interesting point actually, having travelled on one late last night, I can see what people mean about the brightness - it's far too bright for that time of night, such that you can't really see out the windows due to the reflections from inside. That's with only half the lights on I assume - what must it have been like when they used them all?

Last edited:

LM 170

Worst: Eurostar Class 373 Standard Class interior very dull and it dose not give the best impression of Eurostar really.

Best: First Great Western HST 1st Class interior I really like the grey and blue leather seats give the HST a nice modern feel.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I rather agree with you actually, the toned down version does look comparatively dull compared to the prototype, although I'm not sure about the green top half of the seats and olive coloured cushion. Could be worse though, as FGW were originally looking at something equally as bright as the 4 CEP prototype which would have seen the original seats retained before the capacity issues were taken into account:

http://shed83a.smugmug.com/Coaching...31035_JkkL7d#!i=1421303546&k=gMjfc3X&lb=1&s=A

Ah, as I rather like IC70 seats, I would have probably have preferred that regardless of upholstery !

junglejames

Established Member
FGWs HSTs in standard class. No, just no.
GNERs brown intrerior not far behind.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah, as I rather like IC70 seats, I would have probably have preferred that regardless of upholstery !

The stupid thing is, that refurb looks worse than what is was replacing.
FGW had the best standard class going. Was there any need to do any different?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.