• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst station to spot trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Teeside airport. 2 trains a week.

Still half-hourly 142s/156s from Saltburn-Darlo/Bishop Auckland...

Oldham Mumps must be quite bad these days.

I would imagine a station with no freight and bog-standard stock such as 142s, 156s etc with no variation.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Fishguard Harbour? 1 class 150 then a 12 hour (ish) gap before a (153????), then another 12 hour (ish wait) for the next 150. I guess it would have been better when the 2 trains were IC125s, but with no buses at night I guess I'd never be able to see the night train anyway.

Oldham Mumps must be quite bad these days.

I would imagine a station with no freight and bog-standard stock such as 142s, 156s etc with no variation.

Nothing at all at the moment. Its shut for the Oldham Metrolink extention work.

Tufty

Coombe Halt. Because most trains don't even make it into the platform!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Even some busy stations would probably be boring. For example Sudbury has a more frequent train service than many mentioned (it's hourly) but it's the same unit shuttling back and forth each day.

prod_pep

Established Member
Even some busy stations would probably be boring. For example Sudbury has a more frequent train service than many mentioned (it's hourly) but it's the same unit shuttling back and forth each day.

How about Emerson Park? Half-hourly service in both directions there, but still just a single unit (315 or 321) allocated to the route.

First class

Established Member
Most stations on the Merseyrail electrics network, all trains are EMU class 507 or 508s.

MPVs quite active here, currently aprox every 2 days, (don't think many people go looking for these though!)

Class 67s in and out of Birkenhead North, (507002 should be back soon).

Class 142/150/153/156 in out of Ormskirk/Southport/Kirkby/Bidston/Ellesmere Port...

Freight around Bootle, usually 60s or 66s going to/from Seaforth.

FL 66s and 70s in/out of Ellesmere Port (cement).

Hooton usually gets a few tours too, including the Royals:)

Still is quite quiet compared to other "networks" though...

cdonnigan

sunderland its underground pitch black about 12 metros a hours 2 trains a hour oh and the ocasional grand central to london. might be my home station but its a piece of crap

RPM

Established Member
I like the "spot trains" bit. Refreshingly honest, if quaint. The best answer so far is Dartmouth.:)

LE Greys

Established Member
Lymington Town
Quaint when it was a Mk.I unit, but dull as anything now that the same Desiro runs the line all day.
It's ruined fish and chip lunches at the quay.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Surely somewhere like Berney Arms. 4 Sprinters a day, two in each direction. Miles from anywhere and not even a shelter. Any stations that have less trains passing through (I know some have less stopping, but often have quite a few passing through)?

Statto

Established Member
MPVs quite active here, currently aprox every 2 days, (don't think many people go looking for these though!)

Class 67s in and out of Birkenhead North, (507002 should be back soon).

Class 142/150/153/156 in out of Ormskirk/Southport/Kirkby/Bidston/Ellesmere Port...

Freight around Bootle, usually 60s or 66s going to/from Seaforth.

FL 66s and 70s in/out of Ellesmere Port (cement).

Hooton usually gets a few tours too, including the Royals:)

Still is quite quiet compared to other "networks" though...

I did say most of the network;), not all, i should mention Chester/Hunts Cross/maybe [stn]LPY[/stn] but on a different level, served my Merseyrail were you also get a variety of Trains.

Manxman

Possibly Looe, Cornwall- a single FGW 150 shuttle between there and Liskeard each day.

But my first choice is Heysham Port, a single Northern 156 each day

First class

Established Member
Possibly Looe, Cornwall- a single FGW 150 shuttle between there and Liskeard each day.

Don't 66s use the Looe branch, have some sort of inkling there is/was a cement works there.

Eng274

I was going to say the exact same thing! I remember when it used to be 2 a day but they reduced it to one a day and made it later so you have to hang around for an hour on it, I'd rather walk up the road and catch a bus to Lancaster these days.

It can be varied though; a 142, 144 and 153 have shown up on different occasions.

LE Greys

Established Member
Surely somewhere like Berney Arms. 4 Sprinters a day, two in each direction. Miles from anywhere and not even a shelter. Any stations that have less trains passing through (I know some have less stopping, but often have quite a few passing through)?

Helps to be a birdwatcher if you're there, and the pub does good beer, but best not go just for the trains. :)

But my first choice is Heysham Port, a single Northern 156 each day[/QUOT

For the heysham at the moment, its 142, 144 or a 150. It comes from Leeds which dosent have any 156 diagrams now (sadly).

Status
Not open for further replies.