• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst Tube Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

urbophile

Established Member
Wimbledon branch
Worst in what way? Not the most frequent or regular service I admit (well it wasn't when I used it in the last millennium), but it has interesting stations and some tantalising views over rooftops and into backyards.

Gigabit

Is a branch of the District Line, not a Line.

District Line (Wimbledon branch)

Worst in what way? Not the most frequent or regular service I admit (well it wasn't when I used it in the last millennium), but it has interesting stations and some tantalising views over rooftops and into backyards.

The constant signal failures, no night tube, last tube is quite early

TrainGeekUK

Bakerloo line without question. Trains are filthy and virtually derelict.

Got absolutely soaked in one of the carriages when crush loaded on the Harrow bit, one shower and water pouring through the roof and window seals like it was a monsoon.

thomalex

The subsurface lines (which I see as one in the same), they're slow, complicated, infrequent and unreliable

They've certainly improved since the new signalling was fully installed in the central area. Previously you just used to be lucky to even have any up next information in some staions so having some proper countdowns of the next few trains is a huge improvement.

Regarding complication one change I would make would be to split the Edgware Road/Wimbledon District line into its own line given it largely operates a distinct route, let's call it the Wimbledon line.

Reliability is an ongoing issue though. I'd love to know what exactly the issue is from Richmond to Turnham Green as this section is frequently suspended.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Reliability is an ongoing issue though. I'd love to know what exactly the issue is from Richmond to Turnham Green as this section is frequently suspended.
Recent issues; flooding at Gunnersbury; point failures at Richmond; power cable issues at Gunnersbury; all NR infrastructure

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Not quite the same without the Thameslink trains at Moorgate anymore though! Was astonished to see that for the first time as a child
Ah - yes - the "real trains", and the terminating Mets too...

They've certainly improved since the new signalling was fully installed in the central area. Previously you just used to be lucky to even have any up next information in some staions so having some proper countdowns of the next few trains is a huge improvement.

Regarding complication one change I would make would be to split the Edgware Road/Wimbledon District line into its own line given it largely operates a distinct route, let's call it the Wimbledon line.

But it's not self-contained. Although only a few Hi St Kens head west from Earls Court, plenty of services from the east "turn left" there.

urbophile

Established Member
The Womble Line, please! Or divert it to Olympia so that it can connect with the Overground and do it properly.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Womble Line, please! Or divert it to Olympia so that it can connect with the Overground and do it properly.
It already connects with the Overground at West Brompton.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Recent issues; flooding at Gunnersbury; point failures at Richmond; power cable issues at Gunnersbury; all NR infrastructure

That is a fair comment ........(as one who was Operations Manager for North London Railways - 1996 - 1999 - and who often despaired of issues down there and the time it took to get someone down there to sort things)

(mind you - before my time thank goodness - an empty stock 313 took the wrong route and made a break for freedom onto the District Line with not good results)

D6975

Established Member
Circle/Hammersmith and City the worst for me. Slow, sometimes very long gaps between trains and sometimes interminable time sat at stations. Thankfully Crossrail makes the Liverpool Street to Paddington transfer much quicker and more reliable now.
Seconded. I used to do Pad - KGX or Liv St regularly and having to change and go over the footbridge was a real pain, especially when carrying a heavy bag. I too now go via Crossrail (and Thameslink for KGX).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But why is the section to Turnham Green so unreliable?

And same outside of Wimbledon Park, why?

Often it is not that these sections are not significantly more unreliable, but Network Rail respond to incidents in a very different manner to London Underground. It is noticeable how much slower when an incident occurs the response takes, partly down to rules and procedures which are not suited to a rapid transit railway; these include inflexible and slow track access arrangements, switching of traction current (in particular on the Wimbledon branch where they are reluctant to switch off power due to impacts on the main line), inflexible working arrangements, and a general poor overall command and control structure.

The Wimbledon branch suffers because of the separation between track ownership and maintenance (LUL) and operation of the signals and power supply (NR).
The Richmond branch is an outpost of Network Rail's Anglia Route. It effectively suffers because it is a low priority being such an obscure and out of the way, incident responders are based at Willesden or may be beyond so can take some time to get to site.

Craig1122

Often it is not that these sections are not significantly more unreliable, but Network Rail respond to incidents in a very different manner to London Underground. It is noticeable how much slower when an incident occurs the response takes, partly down to rules and procedures which are not suited to a rapid transit railway; these include inflexible and slow track access arrangements, switching of traction current (in particular on the Wimbledon branch where they are reluctant to switch off power due to impacts on the main line), inflexible working arrangements, and a general poor overall command and control structure.

The Wimbledon branch suffers because of the separation between track ownership and maintenance (LUL) and operation of the signals and power supply (NR).
The Richmond branch is an outpost of Network Rail's Anglia Route. It effectively suffers because it is a low priority being such an obscure and out of the way, incident responders are based at Willesden or may be beyond so can take some time to get to site.
I'd add that LU have more incident response staff within smaller geographical areas. NR staff often cover a very wide area so any response is inevitably slower especially if multiple incidents occur. LU also have arrangements in conjunction with BTP for blue light response if required.

It's certainly noticeable that Richmond - Turnham Green has historically had far more failures than on neighbouring SWR lines.

TrainGeekUK

Ironic that the District is part suspended on the Wimbledon banch due to a NR track fault at Wimbledon Park.

District Line: No service between Parsons Green and Wimbledon while Network Rail fix a track fault at Wimbledon Park. GOOD SERVICE on the rest of the line.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well not physically I think but it wouldn't be too difficult to arrange.
The Overground and its predecessor have had platforms at West Brompton, within the same station as the District line, since 1999.

urbophile

Established Member
The Overground and its predecessor have had platforms at West Brompton, within the same station as the District line, since 1999.
I know that. But as far as I know there is no physical connection between the two lines.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I know that. But as far as I know there is no physical connection between the two lines.
What would the advantage be of a connection between the WLL and District line?

Status
Not open for further replies.