• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would an absolute back to basics car sell well today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1964

Established Member
Most networks now offer a contract which allows early upgrades, to just keep that contract going forever.

It certainly seems possible for the car industry to introduce a car subscription service and do the same. For now it's prestige marques like Volvo doing it, but no reason it can't become more mainstream. £300, £400, £500 a month forever. Everything included, just pay for fuel/charging. Sound tempting?

It's tempting for those under about 40 years old

Anyone over about 45 generally realises that still renting in retirement isn't sustainable unless you have a pension pot of over about £ half million

Statistics suggest those in 50s and 60s are the most wealthy in UK, but probably least enthusiastic about the renting option.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Davester50

I’m not saying it’s perfect but you can repair current generation iPhones and MacBooks yourself:

Give Hugh Jeffries videos a watch on YouTube. The self repair programme isn't really practical for the average user.

Noddy

Give Hugh Jeffries videos a watch on YouTube. The self repair programme isn't really practical for the average user.

Oh I don’t doubt that (it’s why I said it’s not perfect). But the average user has never, ever repaired their own mobile phone (or laptop) beyond replacing a dead user replaceable battery. At least now you have the chance to give it a go if you are confident enough - a dead Nokia 3210 went straight in the bin (and then probably landfill) to be replaced by the next cheap plastic phone as that would be easier and cheaper than trying to get the parts, which were not available to the average consumer.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
There are loads of things you can't repair using that scheme and the latest MacBooks are even more restricted, as no doubt the iPhone 15 series will be.

Apple's offering was to try and appease those who wanted strong right to repair legislation, by saying 'hey, we let people fix things'. You still need to pay Apple and have Apple pair items to your device. You cannot take an old phone and swap parts over or attempt a repair on your own.

Even a laptop sleep sensor or the display panel won't work if you swap with another identical spec machine.

Davester50

And to go back to cars, some non-franchise garages can't pick up fault codes from diagnostics, and it's main dealer only.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The car companies have argued (in the US) that it is for security, suggesting that people could be raped. And, yes, they literally said that and that it is a risk of letting someone 'unauthorised' work on your car. They even produced scary videos in their lobbying campaigns.

Noddy

Apple's offering was to try and appease those who wanted strong right to repair legislation, by saying 'hey, we let people fix things'. You still need to pay Apple and have Apple pair items to your device. You cannot take an old phone and swap parts over or attempt a repair on your own.

As I say Apple is certainly not perfect (personally I don’t like the way they are often singled out when others are just as bad), but if this

Right to Repair is now a big issue worldwide and the lobbying money from multiple industries to stop it happening is immense. I think the EU seems to be taking it seriously, and some states in the USA, and we still have some protections when it comes to cars and other products here, but we can't become complacent.

Why this

It’s not like this hasn’t been going on for years with cars. If you didn’t get it serviced at the ‘right’ garage you’d invalidate your warranty.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Apple is indeed recommending support for a bill on right to repair, which to many seems like proof they care, and it appears they want to show that there's no need for tight regulations because manufacturers are already doing their own thing (which people like Louis Rossman will explain isn't reality because third party repairers or yourself can't get access to all the parts or software), and so don't need regulating.

And the car industry is always trying to get around rules that will do things like invalidate warranties by not getting your vehicle serviced at a main dealer where you're paying £100+ per hour for a junior tech..

Oh I don’t doubt that (it’s why I said it’s not perfect). But the average user has never, ever repaired their own mobile phone (or laptop) beyond replacing a dead user replaceable battery. At least now you have the chance to give it a go if you are confident enough - a dead Nokia 3210 went straight in the bin (and then probably landfill) to be replaced by the next cheap plastic phone as that would be easier and cheaper than trying to get the parts, which were not available to the average consumer.
Simple stuff like batteries are very easy to on the older Samsungs and the Chinese phones, iPhone not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.