• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would jump down and cross the tracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leewoods60019

Would you jump down off the platform whe a 60-80mph Intercity 225 was about 50 seconds away and a class 321 just 20 seconds away on the other lane? This guy at Bentley today seemd to think he can! He walked away casually! and would you cycle right on the edge of a platform (i mean right at the edge) A 14 year old 'hard-man wannabee' though he'd challenge the idea! Would you risk the level crossing as the bars was coming down? Several people challenged this idea also. And of course as a kind person I'd help them even though there in the wrong... Why should I look out for people mis-behaving? This needs sorted... some one nearly died and of course I won't be visiting there for as long as I live

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
How's it going to be 'sorted'? Shouldn't we take responsibility for our own actions, rather than rely on measures (which will, no doubt, interfere with the safe activities of others!) to prevent us from doing obviously dangerous things?

bengley

Established Member
Would you jump down off the platform whe a 60-80mph Intercity 225 was about 50 seconds away and a class 321 just 20 seconds away on the other lane? Not if there was an alternative, such as a subway or bridge.

And would you cycle right on the edge of a platform I've never cycled on a train station platform

Would you risk the level crossing as the bars was coming down? Probably not - I like to watch trains go past :D

Answers in bold

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Why should I look out for people mis-behaving?
What would you do though? Would you tell them off? Would you tell the station staff?

As Tomnick said, what actually can be done about this?
There is a fine line balancing an individual with the "nanny" state.

leewoods60019

How's it going to be 'sorted'? Shouldn't we take responsibility for our own actions, rather than rely on measures (which will, no doubt, interfere with the safe activities of others!) to prevent us from doing obviously dangerous things?

Sorted by a proper footbridge would be nice! or flyover or something! People have to get across via level crossing and with its own consequences is potentially a risk of missing your train (Like I did with my train) I thought oh well better to follow the rules and stay safe. This is how it should be sorted!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Answers in bold

There is a level crossing to get from platform to platform and some misuse it
What would you do though? Would you tell them off? Would you tell the station staff?

As Tomnick said, what actually can be done about this?
There is a fine line balancing an individual with the "nanny" state.

I'm a kind person of society who likes to watch out for misbehaving people, no i wouldn't tell them off or anything I just can't see people dieing in front of me and the train driver living with it, so i am very aware of my surrondings and people. I would help them though

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
So what you are saying is, and correct me if I am wrong, you would keep a lookout for people misbehaving because you don't want to see them die, but don't intend to do anything to stop them?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Erm if they was in the tracks i'd jump in there and help them even though if it costs my life

So what you are saying, is that if someone chose to walk off the end of the platform, onto a live open line, you would jump down and try to get them off?

leewoods60019

So what you are saying, is that if someone chose to walk off the end of the platform, onto a live open line, you would jump down and try to get them off?

if the train was nearby and they couldn't get off yes, today the guy walked across and got up straight away, nearly costing is life to a speeding intercity 225

westcoaster

Established Member
Would you jump down off the platform whe a 60-80mph Intercity 225 was about 50 seconds

well the same kind off thing happened the other tuesday at east croydon (except the guys were getting chased by the old bill for fare evasion), unfortunatly for one guy he jumped down into the path of a class 460 gat-ex passing through pl1 at 30mph, and ended up under the third carriage, in this case he paid with his life, but it goes to show what CAN happen.

I have been cautioned by the boobie to warn off kids on the line, i came around the corner at caution and sure enough there were 4 off the just standing in the 4 foot of the down fast line (110 mph), oblivious to what danger they were in.
I personally think its a confidence problem where people think they are incvincable, and cant be touched but say that to a delner about to give you a clout.

leewoods60019

well the same kind off thing happened the other tuesday at east croydon (except the guys were getting chased by the old bill for fare evasion), unfortunatly for one guy he jumped down into the path of a class 460 gat-ex passing through pl1 at 30mph, and ended up under the third carriage, in this case he paid with his life, but it goes to show what CAN happen.

I have been cautioned by the boobie to warn off kids on the line, i came around the corner at caution and sure enough there were 4 off the just standing in the 4 foot of the down fast line (110 mph), oblivious to what danger they were in.
I personally think its a confidence problem where people think they are incvincable, and cant be touched but say that to a delner about to give you a clout.

wow that must of been really nasty to see! I wish i could help everyone get off the railways and doing something better than hanging out there, but that day will never come

GB

Established Member
It may sound harsh or selfish, but you wouldn't catch me breaking a sweat or risking my life to go onto an open line to physically grab someone....unless it was a child or other vulnerable person.

455driver

Veteran Member
Kids are wrapped up in cotton wool with the parents watching out for their safety every second of every day, they have no idea about danger because of this. So when they get let out on their own, instances like these are the result.
Of course if kids were allowed to hurt themselves (a little bit) and were educated about dangers things would improve.

leewoods60019

It may sound harsh or selfish, but you wouldn't catch me breaking a sweat or risking my life to go onto an open line to physically grab someone....unless it was a child or other vulnerable person.

I would do it on behalf of the train driver and not really for people who misbehave really. Altho child and vunerable people I would do anyway for them and not really the train driver
Kids are wrapped up in cotton wool with the parents watching out for their safety every second of every day, they have no idea about danger because of this. So when they get let out on their own, instances like these are the result.
Of course if kids were allowed to hurt themselves (a little bit) and were educated about dangers things would improve.

Babys in prams are a big danger to railways aswell, espcially in Australia where two prams went under a train stopping at the station and happened within about a week of each other.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
if the train was nearby and they couldn't get off yes, today the guy walked across and got up straight away, nearly costing is life to a speeding intercity 225
You wouldn't find me doing that.

If there was a phone nearby, I would get straight onto the bobby, using SCC that I have been taught for my work on a preserved line and get him to block the lines in an emergency, and if a train did come, exhibit a hand danger signal.

I doubt I would have the nerve to jump onto an open line.
I would do it on behalf of the train driver and not really for people who misbehave really. Altho child and vunerable people I would do anyway for them and not really the train driver
So you are trying to prevent on death for the train drivers sake, and risk another. It's highly possible that you both get killed..

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
I would do it on behalf of the train driver and not really for people who misbehave really

So you are trying to prevent on death for the train drivers sake, and risk another. It's highly possible that you both get killed..

Exactly, how do you think the driver would feel with a double fatality.

Tomnick

Established Member
Sorted by a proper footbridge would be nice! or flyover or something! People have to get across via level crossing and with its own consequences is potentially a risk of missing your train (Like I did with my train) I thought oh well better to follow the rules and stay safe. This is how it should be sorted!
A footbridge might solve the problem of you (and others) potentially being inconvenienced by missing your train, but the lack of a footbridge doesn't excuse stupidity, and I'm sure the stupidity would continue if a footbridge existed. How far do you go to 'sort' something that gives someone a reason to take a dangerous shortcut?

leewoods60019

If there was a phone nearby, I would get straight onto the bobby and get him to block the lines in an emergency, and if a train did come, exhibit a hand danger signal.

As I walked across the level crossing (with no trains in sight) it still scares me to even do that! but when the guy crossed the trains was only seconds away! class 321 on the platform he was originally on was only about 15 seconds away (and only just came into view as he hopped up on to my platform) and the about 40-50 seconds later the Intercity 225 came speeding past, he was off the tracks when it came but it actually wasn't far from him when he was crossing (the train was in sight as he crossed) it's not the point he manged to do it but more that a little slip and it could of been deadly, close encounters are still dangergous, especially when it's seconds away!

If there was a phone nearby, I would get straight onto the bobby, using SCC that I have been taught for my work on a preserved line and get him to block the lines in an emergency, and if a train did come, exhibit a hand danger signal.

Yeah I would prevent it as best as I can, at least i would of been killed helping somebody
A footbridge might solve the problem of you (and others) potentially being inconvenienced by missing your train, but the lack of a footbridge doesn't excuse stupidity, and I'm sure the stupidity would continue if a footbridge existed. How far do you go to 'sort' something that gives someone a reason to take a dangerous shortcut?

In fact it does stop stupidity, i haven't ever ever seen this before with stations with footbridges, it can then be accessed at all time as opposed to level crossing which is limited

In fact it does stop stupidity, i haven't ever ever seen this before with stations with footbridges, it can then be accessed at all time as opposed to level crossing which is limited

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Yeah I would prevent it as best as I can, at least i would of been killed helping somebody
So you would still be creating the same amount of stress and upset for the driver, than if you had just left it!

Tomnick

Established Member
It doesn't stop stupidity though - admittedly it removes one 'reason' for someone to do something dangerous, but there's plenty of other stupid things that people will continue to do!

leewoods60019

So you would still be creating the same amount of stress and upset for the driver, than if you had just left it!

depending on where the train is and how much time i had, i could push them under the platform, and I can see your point here but if the train is a reasonable amout of time away I would help, if it was just seconds I wouldn't bother but i would try to get the driver to slow down and try slow the impact down which probably wouldn't do much good anyways
It doesn't stop stupidity though - admittedly it removes one 'reason' for someone to do something dangerous, but there's plenty of other stupid things that people will continue to do!

And one reason can help a lot, I saw about 7-8 people that didn't follow the rules and the only place anyone has been in danger on any station I've seen, it's a little thing but can save some lifes
and who pays for all these bridges?

government funding is a possiblity or the TOC's can help fund it, Network Rail are trying to replace level crossings with flyovers and footbridges

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
depending on where the train is and how much time i had, i could push them under the platform,
If indeed that is possible at that location, and it is a highly dubious course of action.
and I can see your point here but if the train is a reasonable amout of time away I would help, if it was just seconds I wouldn't bother but i would try to get the driver to slow down and try slow the impact down which probably wouldn't do much good anyways
How would you intend to slow the driver down?

Tomnick

Established Member
And one reason can help a lot, I saw about 7-8 people that didn't follow the rules and the only place anyone has been in danger on any station I've seen, it's a little thing but can save some lifes
As GB says though, footbridges don't come cheap, and if there's no significant inconvenience being caused by the lack of a footbridge (other than to those who turn up for their train at the last possible second!), the only justification is to prevent the idiots from killing themselves. How much should be spent on preventing one idiot from killing himself?

Incidentally, I've always considered that my own personal safety has to come first. That's not to say I wouldn't go out of my way to help someone in obvious danger, but what use is a second dead body? I remember the story of a chap climbing down into a confined space and becoming overcome with fumes. The first potential rescuer on the scene also climbed down to attempt to help, and himself succumbed to the fumes. So now the second potential rescuer (assuming he didn't also climb down!) has two people to rescue!

I wouldn't bother because:

1/ I'm likely to get killed.
2/ I'm likely to get prosecuted for trespass.
3/ I'm just as likely to get assaulted by the damned idiot on the track.
4/ I'm just as likely to get sued for breaching their fundamental human right to get themselves turned into chunky salsa.

I've seen nothing.

leewoods60019

As GB says though, footbridges don't come cheap, and if there's no significant inconvenience being caused by the lack of a footbridge (other than to those who turn up for their train at the last possible second!), the only justification is to prevent the idiots from killing themselves. How much should be spent on preventing one idiot from killing himself?

Incidentally, I've always considered that my own personal safety has to come first. That's not to say I wouldn't go out of my way to help someone in obvious danger, but what use is a second dead body? I remember the story of a chap climbing down into a confined space and becoming overcome with fumes. The first potential rescuer on the scene also climbed down to attempt to help, and himself succumbed to the fumes. So now the second potential rescuer (assuming he didn't also climb down!) has two people to rescue!

I'm guessing happenings like this at Bentley (south yorks) happen quite a lot but i'm not too sure, and many people have complained that they miss their connecting train aswell, I supposed if they carry on using level crossing it's only a matter of time some tragic event will happen, I know that you have a good point and others but it depends solely on the situation

Established Member
Erm if they was in the tracks i'd jump in there and help them even though if it costs my life

I stopped reading at this point

if someone fell on the track and broke something dont risk you own bloomin life trying to be the hero, tell staff ASAP so that a block can be up on so no trains will go past then leave it to those who know what they are doing, the memory of someone getting splattered my not ever leave you but its better than turning round and seeing the train coming at you at speed.

If some chav rides his bike prats about and falls on the line, why should you risk your life to help him?

Status
Not open for further replies.