• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC, TPX and Northern today

Status
Not open for further replies.

mallard

Established Member
Was at Sheffield this morning and saw some serious delays to XC services (some over an hour) as well as Northern cancellations and delays to TPX.

Was waiting for the 11:11 TPX to Manchester but due to delays, (was at 20 minutes by the time I left) experienced a delightful Pacer ride through the Hope Valley on the 11:14. :lol:

As an aside, the NMT was in the station (between the platform 1 and 2 roads) for a while this morning, anybody know what it was doing?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Whilst not occuring until after the OP had visited Sheffield station, I seem to remember a notice on the NRES website talking about signalling problems in the Mexborough area, as well as a road vehicle colliding with a bridge near to Chesterfield this afternoon.

Just going back to Royal Oak's very relevant point, I read on one of the many Yahoo groups that a Voyager struck a concrete slab near to Tamworth.. can anyone confirm/deny this? Sounds awful! :roll:

(This all happened alongside the previously mentioned incidents in this thread today, so it looks like it's been one chaotic day to travel around the east/Birmingham-York on XC today!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was waiting for the 11:11 TPX to Manchester but due to delays, (was at 20 minutes by the time I left) experienced a delightful Pacer ride through the Hope Valley on the 11:14. :lol:
If you had waited for the TPE you would have arrived 6 minutes earlier and still gone through the Hope Valley ;)

There was vandalism at wilnecote near tamworth (it was a concrete slab!!) this morning which caused the serious delays northbound all morning, there was also a cable theft at doncaster, a gas leak at mexborough as well. And this afternoon there was a fatality at meadowhall!! Altogether a truly awful day!

tbtc

Veteran Member
I was at Sheffield at 11.11 this morning (taking about ten minutes through the "fast" ticket queue, and narrowly missing the Leeds train)...

One of the XC services was "next stop York" which I wish I'd known in advance, as I'd have liked to do the Pontefract line on a Voyager again - presumably to make up time due to avoiding Leeds?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
One of the XC services was "next stop York" which I wish I'd known in advance, as I'd have liked to do the Pontefract line on a Voyager again - presumably to make up time due to avoiding Leeds?
Possibly. But get a good run and Donny is quicker (York-Donny 19 mins, Donny-Sheffield 18 mins. Put the two together and you theoretically get 37 mins. You couldn't do that via Pontefract). In reality they'll look at what trains are in the way and decide at the time I guess.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Possibly. But get a good run and Donny is quicker (York-Donny 19 mins, Donny-Sheffield 18 mins. Put the two together and you theoretically get 37 mins. You couldn't do that via Pontefract). In reality they'll look at what trains are in the way and decide at the time I guess.

I thought the Pontefract line was always quicker, but (whilst its direct) it is a slow route, with some poor speed limits, so I take you point there.

the sniper

Established Member
There was vandalism at wilnecote near tamworth (it was a concrete slab!!)

Presumably XC services were diverted via the (Birmingham) cross-city line during this? Does anybody happen to know roughly how much time it adds onto the journey when a train is diverted via the Cross-city line?

Mr Spock

I understand that it was actually a load of tyres at Wilnecote that were hit by a 170 and then a Voyager.

I would not like to put a time on the diversion via Lichfield as it depends on when you are released from New St (in front of the stopper or behind it). It also depends on the Lichfield TV starter as in the last 2 weeks I have been on trains that way twice and each time we were held until this train left. Finally there is also the problem that the last part of the route is single track so if trains are diverted both ways it can cause further delays.

mallard

Established Member
If you had waited for the TPE you would have arrived 6 minutes earlier and still gone through the Hope Valley ;)

True, however at the time the Pacer was ready and waiting while there was no indication of when the Transpennine train would show up (since it was getting later with each incremental announcement - why do that? why not just admit that they can't give a concrete indication of when it might show up?).

the sniper

Established Member
I would not like to put a time on the diversion via Lichfield as it depends on when you are released from New St (in front of the stopper or behind it). It also depends on the Lichfield TV starter as in the last 2 weeks I have been on trains that way twice and each time we were held until this train left. Finally there is also the problem that the last part of the route is single track so if trains are diverted both ways it can cause further delays.

No probs, I knew it'd be pretty hard to put a time on it because of all the variable factors you mention.

Just looks like it was one of those days, with everything responsible outside the railways control. Would like to think the most the passengers didnt rant at the staff, but no doubt there was 1 or 2 idiots.

David

Established Member
Was at Sheffield this morning and saw some serious delays to XC services (some over an hour) as well as Northern cancellations and delays to TPX.

As an aside, the NMT was in the station (between the platform 1 and 2 roads) for a while this morning, anybody know what it was doing?

I was on that TPE, and there was nowt to see between Doncaster and Swinton, although the 1011 TPE to Cleethorpes passed us running about 15 down near Conisborough.

First hint of trouble we had though was when we arrived at Doncaster, and everyone on P3 piled onto the train (thank god it was a pair of 170s). Also, the train called additionally at Conisborough, Mexborough and Swinton. Checked at every signal and then cautioned passed them between Conisborough and Mexborough, then a clear run into Sheffield. The TPE caught up wth the stopper by Cowburn Tunnel as well.

Jordy

Established Member
Presumably XC services were diverted via the (Birmingham) cross-city line during this? Does anybody happen to know roughly how much time it adds onto the journey when a train is diverted via the Cross-city line?

Yes they were diverted via Lichfield, was on one of the HSTs. Added around 15/20 minutes to the journey

David

Established Member
You must have been lucky then Jordy !

Last time I got diverted that way, we was 5 late leaving Burton, 45 late getting into New Street !

When XC are diverted via Lichfield, it all depends what mood the bobby is in if you get through before the stopper or not !

Status
Not open for further replies.