• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Train in collision with animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The guy that was tweeting did originally call it a "Virgin" train; I'd guess the rag may have seen that and not bothered to do any proper journalism/has poor subeditors
as for the state of the train- doesn't look too bad. Remeber that all modern stock, and high speed stock especially, have a lot of easily replacable fairings and energy absorbant crash protection at the ends, which can be fairly easily unbolted and replaced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minilad

Established Member
I can't believe this forum sometimes. A potentially serious situation ends up with another round of voyager baiting. Some people need to get a grip

Clip

Established Member
I can't believe this forum sometimes. A potentially serious situation ends up with another round of voyager baiting. Some people need to get a grip

Im surprised you're surprised by this.

ushawk

Established Member
The guy that was tweeting did originally call it a "Virgin" train; I'd guess the rag may have seen that and not bothered to do any proper journalism/has poor subeditors
as for the state of the train- doesn't look too bad. Remeber that all modern stock, and high speed stock especially, have a lot of easily replacable fairings and energy absorbant crash protection at the ends, which can be fairly easily unbolted and replaced.

A couple were actually having a go at the guy on Twitter for getting the name wrong, he said he isn't a regular traveller on that route too, so may of confused it for a Virgin Voyager - it's an easy mistake, not as if it's the main priority anyway.

D1009

Established Member
Last edited:

chris89

Established Member

Honestly with the hate they get on here sometimes im not supprised sadly.

I for one am very pleased 221136 stood up to that sort of punishment and remained on the track completely and that the Driver and no passengers or crew were injured at all.

Just like City of Glasgow it does show even with all the nit-picking that happens against the Voyager and Pendolino families they do survive what happens to them quite well it seems.

Also since in a miniorty i rather like Voyagers and Pendos myself :)

Chris

CC 72100

Established Member
I mean I don't like voyagers by any stretch of the imigination, but I don't intend to bring said hatred into every thread about them.

I'm also pleased to see that the voyager stood up will to the incident, with no injuries to passangers or crew reported, which is good to hear. Not too sure I'd like to have been a passanger on that one mind, although it could be a good story to tell whenever passangers are a bit peed off by delays caused by 'animals on the line'!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
ok as the person who started this voyager hatrid this time I appologise, I underestimated how many would join im.
I admit it could have been far worse. Appologies, particularly to XC Driver who I would seam to have upset.

Crossover

Established Member
The main thing is the train did its job and protected those on board. The picture posted earlier seems to look like most of the damage is superficial (except to the coupler which I suspect may not work again...) although, of course, we can't see what may have happened to the underframe.

I can't help but find it slightly amusing that after it all, it had to set back from the incident site at a very low top speed...not because of wheel flats or such, but because something got stuck and it almost went into "limp home" mode! (not a dig at Voyagers btw, in case it can be misconstrued as such, just a general dig at technology...which in itself is ironic but *shrug*)

tynesider

221136 was also the unit involved in the 100mph derailment at Copmanthorpe on 25th September 2006 - There was a hell of a bump then as well!

sonic2009

Established Member
Apparently the involved unit, was dragged by another Voyager via Oxford, Swindon, Kemble, Cheltenham to get to Birmingham/Central Rivers can anyone confirm this?.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

ushawk

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-18020332

Apparently a "stampede" caused the cows to go onto the line, also a quote from a farmer who has a farm near the one where the cows were from - saying that Network Rail dont maintain the fences properly, which they have denied. NR have also said that they will not be compensating the farmer either.

Do cows break through fences in stampedes then ?

TEW

Established Member
Apparently the involved unit, was dragged by another Voyager via Oxford, Swindon, Kemble, Cheltenham to get to Birmingham/Central Rivers can anyone confirm this?.

Sounds quite likely, the Voyager couldn't be driven from the leading cab and it looks like the coupler on the front would have been unusable as well. Therefore it would have to have departed Oxford in the Reading direction, running via Kemble would then be the most logical way back to Birmingham.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Clearly shows what sturdy trains Voyagers are. I'm far from a big fan of them (and I often use them on this very stretch of line) - but not derailing and seemingly not suffering major damage when running through a herd of stampeding cattle at high speed: seriously, that's impressive. Must have been terrible for the driver, and not much fun for the passengers either - - but the train design clearly did its job, perhaps incredibly well.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
After reading the BBC report i find myself slightly bemused.

Now im not being funny, but in most countries it is not the infrastructure provider who fences the line. For example in begium, you want to put some cows in a field you put the fence up yourself. Why cant it be like that in this country? If the farmer wants livestock a field, surely the fence is his responsibility?

Eagle

Established Member
Now im not being funny, but in most countries it is not the infrastructure provider who fences the line. For example in begium, you want to put some cows in a field you put the fence up yourself. Why cant it be like that in this country? If the farmer wants livestock a field, surely the fence is his responsibility?

It probably comes down to who put the original fence there when the line was built in 1850. If it was the GWR then I'd guess they (and their successors, BR and NR) were responsible for the fence—and the farmowners, who never needed a fence there before the railway, wouldn't have been bothered because hey, free fence.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
It probably comes down to who put the original fence there when the line was built in 1850. If it was the GWR then I'd guess they (and their successors, BR and NR) were responsible for the fence—and the farmowners, who never needed a fence there before the railway, wouldn't have been bothered because hey, free fence.

Exactly, it was the GWR who cut through their land so they would have been responsible for any boundary fences. Surely the same will apply when HS2 is built?

andy1571

I noted it passing through Bromsgrove yesterday evening. It was moving under its own power with the undamaged cab leading.

Andy M

the sniper

Established Member
After reading the BBC report i find myself slightly bemused.

Someone will probably correct me, but I think one of the early Regulation of Railways Acts set in law that the railway needed to provide fences to keep farmers stock off the railway.

Failed Unit

Established Member
But most farmers would not trust someone else's fence, it would invalidate thier public liability insurance as they have not taken a reasonable action to prevent it.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Some of the Voyager/Pendolino bashing on this thread is uncalled for. They are amongst the safest rolling stock on the planet.

I'm sure the relatives of the 13 who died at Polmont wish their loved ones had been travelling on something as safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI8K-hmu6hs

View attachment 11446

Wasn't the point work at Polmont junction a factor in the derailment at Polmont? I know the lightness of the driving van was also a major factor of course. Not much consellation for the families of the dead, but at least train safety improved as a result of the accident. The main reason the pendo's / voyagers have what some would feel oversized crumple zones is because of Polmont.

Established Member
Some of the Voyager/Pendolino bashing on this thread is uncalled for. They are amongst the safest rolling stock on the planet.

I'm sure the relatives of the 13 who died at Polmont wish their loved ones had been travelling on something as safe.

I thought that the Polmont crash was similar to the Great Heck/Selby one - if the train had been running the opposite way around, with the much heavier loco at the front, then the cow/Land Rover would have been demolished and the crash would have been less severe?

Failed Unit

Established Member
I thought that the Polmont crash was similar to the Great Heck/Selby one - if the train had been running the opposite way around, with the much heavier loco at the front, then the cow/Land Rover would have been demolished and the crash would have been less severe?

I think that is the case,

Great Heck would have bieng fine if the train wasn't coming in the other direction, as stated in my previous post I think the points really cause the problem at Polmont, but the line is also on a curve which would not have help.

I guess all accidents are a series of things rather than a single problem. luckily for XC it was "only" the cows

Established Member
I guess all accidents are a series of things rather than a single problem. luckily for XC it was "only" the cows

That's part of the problem - if only one factor is involved then a train might stand up quite well, but as you say, adding in the pointwork might have created another risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.