• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yeovil Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamcoppard

Annoyingly, Yeovil Pen Mill and Yeovil Junction do not belong to a group, such that I can't buy a ticket to 'Yeovil Stns' and change routes / plans depending on what day / time I want to travel (which can pay off over the weekend as the service at Jcn. seems to be better than Pen Mill).

My question is, and I think I already know the answer to this (no!) - but for longer distance journeys (certainly nothing local!) what's the nearest I could get on a ticket to both that I could sensibly use as a changing point where I could then buy singles from either Yeovil Station to, to allow me maximum flexibility? Somewhat, I suspect the answer is just going to be buy from one to the other - and I'm probably adding an insane expenditure on top - but just thought it might be interesting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
You can buy a ticket to one and travel to the other if the route to the other plus walk is the shortest route to Yeovil.

wibble

You can buy a ticket to one and travel to the other if the route to the other plus walk is the shortest route to Yeovil.

Easement 31 in the routeing guide prohibits this - a ticket from Pen Mill is not valid for travel from Junction and vice versa.

soil

Established Member
Easement 31 in the routeing guide prohibits this - a ticket from Pen Mill is not valid for travel from Junction and vice versa.

That only applies to routes from the Routeing Guide, the shortest route is always valid.

Pen Mill

Annoyingly, Yeovil Pen Mill and Yeovil Junction do not belong to a group, such that I can't buy a ticket to 'Yeovil Stns' and change routes / plans depending on what day / time I want to travel (which can pay off over the weekend as the service at Jcn. seems to be better than Pen Mill).

My question is, and I think I already know the answer to this (no!) - but for longer distance journeys (certainly nothing local!) what's the nearest I could get on a ticket to both that I could sensibly use as a changing point where I could then buy singles from either Yeovil Station to, to allow me maximum flexibility? Somewhat, I suspect the answer is just going to be buy from one to the other - and I'm probably adding an insane expenditure on top - but just thought it might be interesting.
As Junction is on an East-West axis and Pen Mill is on North-South it's difficult to find a common intersection.

There is a shuttle bus between the 2 stations which replaced the direct rail link.
http://www.southwestcoaches.co.uk/images/timetables/68 service - jun 12.pdf
This is your best option unless it's after 7pm that you're arriving , in which case , get a cab.
It doesn't run on Sundays.
I don't know the fare , a couple of quid i think but you can buy a plusbus on your rail ticket for an additional £2.80

If you did want to do it by rail , the best I can come up with is :-
From the North , the only feasible changeover point is Westbury. All services to Pen Mill pass through there having come from Bristol.

For a train from Westbury to Yeovil Junction , you will need to change again at Salisbury . Both trains on this section are hourly services.

The walk between the 2 stations is 2.2 mies (45 minutes) and it's not a comfortable walk being down a busy country lane !

Last edited:

adamcoppard

Indeed - the walk between the two Yeovil Stations is not fantastic and I really wouldn't want to be walking along the lanes in the light, let alone at dark.

I'd be travelling from Coventry / Warwick, so I believe my options are to go via Birmingham and Bristol (which would take me to Pen Mill) or to go via Reading and Basingstoke (which would take me to Junction) - however it would almost certainly be wiser to take the Reading route on a weekend especially (due to rubbish Sunday timings to Bristol).

For cheapness ahead of time it seems to be really cheap to go Coventry - London on MegaBus and then London - Junction via MegaBus to, but that doesn't really give me any flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.