• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You must stay at home as much as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Many scientists don't agree - and you only need to look at some of the predictions which have proved completely wrong to see that there is a tendency to vastly over-estimate among those who claim there is a benefit.

As regards numbers, see here:

Sweden is actually a fair way behind the UK, and all four of those above it have imposed lockdowns and masks.

We could "whataboutery" all day with other countries - Sweden was not my reference.

You say that many scientists don't agree. I've not seen an English scientist say that we got the lockdown timing just right.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Puffing Devil

Established Member
A lot of people have fears, which are probably due to constant bombardment of negative messages in the early days. The issue is messages still are doom and gloom and some people find it hard to see past that. That's not a criticism but how minds have been affected by these constant messages; someone has already likened it to Nazi propoganda, which whilst much worse, was rolled out in a similar way.

Godwin's law strikes again. I'm out of this thread.

al78

Established Member
Anyone over the age of 80 has an underlying health condition: it's called being old. Like it or not if you're over 80 you have a 1 in 10 chance of dying this year, for any reason.

I really doubt "being old" in itself is medically classed as an underlying health condition.

adc82140

Established Member
It's very much classed as a comorbidity when dealing with any disease.

Djgr

Established Member
Why delay a policy which the government has decided is necessary. Either it believes it, or it's weak and unable to implement a simple decision.
Whilst I've been a good boy and started wearing the (placebo) mask, based on my experience of three or four (smallish) supermarkets in the East Midlands and North West currently face mask wearing is approximately 0% (apart from me!)

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Whilst I've been a good boy and started wearing the (placebo) mask, based on my experience of three or four (smallish) supermarkets in the East Midlands and North West currently face mask wearing is approximately 0% (apart from me!)
Indeed Morrisons yesterday was me and a few other shoppers and surprisingly very few staff in masks rest not bothering but like public transport most will comply from the weekend as people believe its helping us get back to normal.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
You simply cannot claim that.

Despite all the recent bashing Sweden has been getting in the media, it needs to be reiterated that with no 'lockdown' their per capita death rate is still lower than the UK.

Or Belarus. They practically did nothing. 500 odd deaths there not thousands. Mind you the population of Belarus is quite a lot smaller.

adc82140

Established Member
However the government in Minsk only generally has loose affiliation with the truth.

jumble

The headline Government Guidance at the time and continues to be

If you're to comply with this, leaving the house other than for essential travel is not "staying home as much as possible".

I think your position ( and the other bits of the website) are out of date
It seems to have changed 17 July just before you posted

I have just been away for the weekend
Stayed in a Travelodge
Ate Breakfast in Weatherspoons
Had drink in local pub
Went to beach
I really have to say everything was pretty much normal and very different to a few weeks ago

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...avirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do
1.3 I don’t have to stay at home anymore?
You don’t have to stay at home anymore but when you leave your home, you should follow the guidelines on staying safe outside your home.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamWW

Established Member
Surely the "You must stay home" message changed when the slogan in England went from "Stay Home" to "Stay Alert"?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Surely the "You must stay home" message changed when the slogan in England went from "Stay Home" to "Stay Alert"?
Indeed it did.

Those who try to tell people they should be staying home now make me feel angry; I will struggle to forgive them.

Last edited:

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Well someone ought to tell the government. They are still funnelling taxpayers money to a company called Clear Channel, who are running messages instead of advertising on outdoor places like bus shelters. These photos were taken this morning, and the ‘Stay Home’ one is one poster of six, in a 10-poster rotation.
All this constant subliminal messaging adds to the fears of the locktivists - if they’re ever brave enough to risk instant death upon leaving home, that is...8FF88E22-631E-41B3-926A-563F634D767B.jpeg36E1077A-DF07-4044-AB34-3ABB0C17D0CB.jpeg3E3564E4-F66F-467C-A0DD-FBCCC5744E0A.jpeg

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Indeed it did.

Those who try to tell people they should be staying home now make me feel angry; I will struggle to forgive them.

I encouraged all my (especially married/engaged) friends to socially distanced walk with other friends, regardless of gender, even at the worst of the pandemic, as long as they kept outdoors and preferably only two at a time.

talldave

Established Member
Whilst the out of date messaging is wrong, my brain is switched off to the propaganda now. I also ignore patronising TV adverts ("Now that things are returning to normal" - no they're not, they're getting worse). Meaningless rubbish like "control the virus" just raises my blood pressure.

Pete_uk

Established Member
There has been one confirmed case in my town. I think I'll stay at home!

Nope, got things to do.

The Ham

Established Member

Nope, got things to do.

Whist one confirmed case is likely to mean several more than that due to the lack of testing early on, the general sentiment is fine.

Having said that there's still some pockets of higher case numbers and where those are there's a continued need to be a bit more cautious.

I'd suggest that trying to limit lots of moving between settlements is probably still wise so that any new pockets don't spread to other areas so easily. However even then that's a if it's not too difficult to achieve rather than don't do it at all.

AdamWW

Established Member
Well someone ought to tell the government. They are still funnelling taxpayers money to a company called Clear Channel, who are running messages instead of advertising on outdoor places like bus shelters. These photos were taken this morning, and the ‘Stay Home’ one is one poster of six, in a 10-poster rotation.
All this constant subliminal messaging adds to the fears of the locktivists - if they’re ever brave enough to risk instant death upon leaving home, that is...View attachment 81069View attachment 81070View attachment 81071

Well these digital advertising displays don't always show the right thing.

We had a big campaign fromTfL round here a while ago (pre-Covid) telling us to reduce pollution by walking short distances rather than getting the tube.

I live in Wales.

The Ham

Established Member

We had a big campaign fromTfL round here a while ago (pre-Covid) telling us to reduce pollution by walking short distances rather than getting the tube.

I live in Wales.

To be fair it would be much better to walk short distances than use the tube.

carlberry

Established Member

I live in Wales.
Subsequent follow up checks have revealed that the campaign was 100% sucessful and TfL intend to expand the campaign into the rest of Wales, Northern England (outside Liverpool and Newcastle) and Scotland!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed it did.

It really doesn't help that updating their website is far too much for the Government to be bothered to do :(

This is indeed no longer the message and it's quite damaging to business etc to suggest it is.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It really doesn't help that updating their website is far too much for the Government to be bothered to do :(

This is indeed no longer the message and it's quite damaging to business etc to suggest it is.
I quite agree. It also gives fuel to the "we should stay at home" brigade, who I'm bitterly opposed to (if individuals want to stay at home themselves that is their choice but I'm absolutely thoroughly fed up of people trying to impose restrictions or pressure on others)

LAX54

Established Member

Nope, got things to do.

Is that not part of the problem, per Town it is very low, and in some areas since day 1 'zero' ! but take the UK as a whole it sounds massive, the ONS said that 50K (UK) died in 2018 from 'seasonal flu' but we did not panic,
it keeps going back to the doom/panic/ world ending soon form Twitter/FB/24 hrs news etc, which took everyone in with no prisoners, we are now starting to see the aftermath, which looks far far worse !

trainophile

Established Member
Some science/medical bod on the radio in the small hours was saying that we may have to live with this virus for decades. I would rather take my chance with returning to normal life than stay at home forever.

nlogax

Established Member
I quite agree. It also gives fuel to the "we should stay at home" brigade, who I'm bitterly opposed to (if individuals want to stay at home themselves that is their choice but I'm absolutely thoroughly fed up of people trying to impose restrictions or pressure on others)

I've not encountered any 'stay at home' sorts for some weeks, though admittedly for the benefit of my mental health I'm not on social media or constantly scanning the news. Are there any remaining outspoken folks who are still insisting we should be hermitically sealed in our homes?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I've not encountered any 'stay at home' sorts for some weeks, though admittedly for the benefit of my mental health I'm not on social media or constantly scanning the news. Are there any remaining outspoken folks who are still insisting we should be hermitically sealed in our homes?
Absolutely! A look down Facebook or twitter and you’ll see the masses screaming that they’ll not be going out or going to work because it’s “too dangerous” and that we really need to lock down again and stay home.

I respect people’s own choice to stay at home, but I do not respect people trying to impose restrictions on the rest of us who want to lead a normal life.

nlogax

Established Member
Absolutely! A look down Facebook or twitter and you’ll see the masses screaming that they’ll not be going out or going to work because it’s “too dangerous” and that we really need to lock down again and stay home.

Ugh. Well..as long as they remain in their social media cages I don't see 'em ;) Though I'm tempted to take a look at their rants just to get an inkling of what's being said.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Ugh. Well..as long as they remain in their social media cages I don't see 'em ;) Though I'm tempted to take a look at their rants just to get an inkling of what's being said.
Haha some of them are quite entertaining just how angry they get, if you’re looking for a bit of entertainment I would recommend a scroll down the news article of either the death rate or any restrictions easing, it’s quite amusing!

talldave

Established Member
I do think the "stay in your bunker" mentality is directly proportional to IQ. This crisis has shown just how thick some people are.

A friend of a friend experienced Covid road rage yesterday at traffic lights - sitting in the car with her window slightly down, the masked-up idiot in the car alongside put her window down and lowered her mask to shout at her that her window should be closed because they weren't more than 2m apart, and proceeded to phone the police. The lights changed, everyone drove off apart from the no longer masked-up idiot sat there calling the police and no doubt posting about the incident to the Facebook Furloughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.