• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Young Volunteers at preserved railways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CatfordCat

I'm not active in railway preservation, but would have thought that anything safety critical will be out until you're 16 or 18.

The Watercress Line are quite active in encouraging young members - more about the 'rangers' here. I expect it will vary from one railway to another though. I have seen threads on here about some railways not being seen as very welcoming to new volunteers. That having been said, I've also heard (of some of the larger preserved lines) that station A has a different atmosphere to station B on the same line.

craig87034

Leighton Buzzard Narrow Guage Railway has its own 'Junior Member' department. The regulars are often seen doing paintwork,building and maintance work,cleaning,preping loco's and many other jobs to help us out

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
All depends on age and what you want to do, I started a commercial public facing role at the railway I volunteer at age 14... I'm still there and have taken on responsibilities and have 'passed out' in various (commercial) competencies aged 16. I have also started training for a safety critical, platform dispatch, role recently... I should be 'passed out' within the foreseeable future from where I can go on to Guards training until I'm 18 at which point I can 'pass out' in that role.

It's all about getting yourself known for the right reasons, not being afraid to get on with it and not making (m)any mistakes whilst you're doing it!

TP

Last edited:

Winchcombe

Entirely depends what are you want to work in, but most lines have some kind of young volunteers' group that do some organised activities. At my local line, the Glos-Warwicks we have a group of 12-16 year olds who do a variety of tasks depending on their age. They do work as a group but as part of the 'main railway' - e.g. being a group who support the Santa Specials or at Thomas or take on specific projects under carefully controlled conditions - e.g. painting a wagon that's isolated from the main sidings etc. They've also run trips, including going to Germany to see preserved steam over there. With one on one supervision young members can do some jobs in areas like Carriage and Wagon.

Generally, most lines won't be able to let you do a great deal unsupervised until you're 16 - we will train ticket inspectors from 16 for example. Some areas have older minimum age limits - e.g. driver is 21, but as much as anything else that's about the amount of time it takes to get the necessary training in.

Overall though, i'd encourage you to do it. I started working when I was 12 (H&S a little less active in those days) having announced I wanted to be a guard. Clearly that wasn't possible and I found myself serving tea but I enjoyed being involved and since then have gone on to qualify in a number of operational roles and have run big events and joined the board. It's all possible....good luck

bronzeonion

I'm 17 and I'm a regular volunteer (mainly non-running days) at the Epping Ongar Railway since around late Spring 2012. Over time you get to know people and like someone else said as long as you make a good impression, have a sense of humour, able to make tea and able to work safely (most important when it comes to safety critical roles) whilst not making (m)any mistakes you'll be just fine. I don't know if this applies to other railways but since we're pretty low on volunteers, you may even be offered to join various departments (signaller, guard, diesel crew etc) for when you turn 18, I am currently looking set to pass out as a secondman soon after my 18th!

I've been made to feel very welcome by everybody at the railway and this a key way to get new volunteers to come and then to keep coming back. Any individuals who choose not to make new volunteers, especially young ones feel welcome are digging the railway theyre part of and railway preservation in general an early grave!

I joined the East Lancs Railway last year when I turned 16, and since then I have done things like platform work, dispatching, booking office and even part signalling. Suppose in the end it's about what you want to do, what attitude you have on and around the railway and, as mentioned before, any age restrictions

Simon11

Established Member
At the Talyllyn Railway, we have a very strong young members group. Every half term and holidays, we have lots of young members descend to volunteer on the railway using the hostel on site. Its a really friendly railway and lots of laughs.

On Saturday 23rd August, they are planning a Young Members Day. They are aiming for all volunteer roles to be fulfilled by members 25 and under.

http://www.talyllyn.co.uk/young-members-day

Feel free to PM with any questions, although you need to be 16 to stay in the hostel.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Our 19 year old son (turns 20 next weekend!) is a volunteer on the Bluebell Railway when he's home from Uni and can't get enough of it. It's also something to put on your CV if you're going for Engineering Graduate jobs.

YorkshireBear is a volunteer on the KVWR and I'm sure he wouldn't mind passing on his experiences if you asked him nicely!

60163tornado

I volunteer at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and they have a junior volunteers group, there a few different groups they have, Saturday squad which is a rotating party of different working venues on the line one saturday a month.. Sunday squad is basically the same. MPD group is at grosmont sheds once a month including one weekend of the spring gala, all on saturdays, you get to clean engines, chance of cab rides every now and again. you even get to light the engines up sometimes (supervised), i was a junior in the MPD group and would highly reccomend it, you have to 14 to do MPD, i am now a cleaner so you do progress on once you reach 16.

168lover

At the Talyllyn Railway, we have a very strong young members group. Every half term and holidays, we have lots of young members descend to volunteer on the railway using the hostel on site. Its a really friendly railway and lots of laughs.

On Saturday 23rd August, they are planning a Young Members Day. They are aiming for all volunteer roles to be fulfilled by members 25 and under.

http://www.talyllyn.co.uk/young-members-day

Feel free to PM with any questions, although you need to be 16 to stay in the hostel.

sadly can't get to there as I live in Buckinghamshire!

Simon11

Established Member

And I'm from London! You can just about make a weekend of it with two full days of volunteering. Otherwise if you have more time, its great going for a week or more.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

I would suggest emailing your local railway to see what the score is with young volunteers. If you would prefer to go elsewhere then wait till you are 18, consider relocating when you go to uni or get a car or a job etc.

For example if you consider Leeds University or similar when you get to that stage getting to the KWVR is easy by train and a very good place to volunteer.

J123

My local railway on the Isle of Wight is good for young people. I started when I was 16, went on the footplate every day I was there and by the time I was 17 had enough experience on the loco to fire for a whole day under the supervision of the fireman. I'm 18 now and hope to pass out during the summer this year.

My 15 year old Nephew volunteers at Tanfield and he's driven the shunters, once got to ash out Alfred and Judy when they visited for a show and done loads of pway stuff.

What you get to do depends very much on your attitude and your behavior. For example; Don't have a competition with other cleaners to see how far over the ash out pits you can jump (I'm told it has happened). If you turn up and treat the people and the machines with respect, you'll be doing all sorts.

LowLevel

Established Member
You can always progress in these places if you have the right attitude. I started as a station porter at 16, became a station master within a couple of years, I'm now 24 and sign 4 signalboxes, I'm a qualified guard and I'm just about to take my final assessment to be able to act as the railway's responsible officer (basically duty person in charge of the overall railway). I've also since become a guard on the national railway network.

It's an excellent base for your future development if you're willing to put the time and effort in.

Status
Not open for further replies.