• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your bits of totally useless geographical trivia please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
I believe that the greatest distance between a UK city and it's namesake is Perth to Perth (9120 miles) Newcastle to Newcastle 10440 miles Devonport to Devonport (Tasmania) 10,890 miles Oban to Oban (New Zealand) - 11,730 miles. (I give up!)

Do towns count? Christchurch UK to Christchurch NZ - 11880 miles.

They must given that neither Devonport nor Oban are UK cities.

fowler9

Established Member
I was initially going to only consider cities but then started to notice smaller towns and villages.

I get where you were coming from. Ha ha. My two Garstons are far from being cities. I live and work by Garston on Merseyside, it was very different from Garston in New Zealand which is south of Queenstown on the bus route to Te Anau and the Milford Sound. I did try and get the bus driver in New Zealand to stop the bus so I could get a photo, he had a schedule to keep to though, however, I did get a half decent photo of the Garston Hotel out of the window.

According to Wikipedia (So it must be true) Garston is the most inland settlement in New Zealand! Not far from where the preserved Kingston Flyer Railway recently used to run to.

Last edited:

Rick1984

Moscow, Ayrshire, Scotland, is the same latitude as it's Russian counterpart and has a Volga Burn

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Gibraltar takes part in the island games, even though it's not an island

Groningen

Established Member
Weert is a town where on a keyboard you have to move your fingers not a lot.

Bevan Price

Established Member
1. On some days, if you walk to the outer end of Southport Pier, you can just about see the sea. (Very, very occasionally, the sea does actually reach the promenade.)

2. The British Isles are slowly crumbling into the sea (although it will take millions of years to see them disappear.)

Along the lines of Hawick being the largest town in the UK without a railway and bearing in mind the Geographic Poles of Inaccessibility, I was wondering what the Equoferric Pole of Inaccessibility is? Looking at Openrailwaymap.org possibly in Siberia, Canada, Brazil or Central Africa (I'm ignoring Antarctica).

Like the Ancient Greek sailor who being so tired of the sea that he walked inland with an oar till the loacls did not know what it was, are there significant places in the world where the locals still await the coming of the Iron Horse?

fowler9

Established Member
Along the lines of Hawick being the largest town in the UK without a railway and bearing in mind the Geographic Poles of Inaccessibility, I was wondering what the Equoferric Pole of Inaccessibility is? Looking at Openrailwaymap.org possibly in Siberia, Canada, Brazil or Central Africa (I'm ignoring Antarctica).

Like the Ancient Greek sailor who being so tired of the sea that he walked inland with an oar till the loacls did not know what it was, are there significant places in the world where the locals still await the coming of the Iron Horse?

The worlds highest capital city, Nuestra Senora De La Paz in Bolivia, has a population of 2.3 million people with the metropolitan areas of El Alto and Viacha included and has no trains. Bolivia as a whole has next to no trains whilst being far bigger than the UK. It is however a fascinating place to visit.

Last edited:

317 forever

Established Member
It's quicker to walk from Ruislip to West Ruislip or from Wimbledon to South Wimbledon than to go by Underground.

317 forever

Established Member
By way of a fluke, the oldest gentleman and the youngest woman I like from the world of music are from pretty much the same area of the country! (The south Tyneside area in case you're curious!).

Howardh

Established Member
It's quicker to walk from Ruislip to West Ruislip or from Wimbledon to South Wimbledon than to go by Underground.

Out of interest, I read that the shortest journey by tube is Leicester Square to Covent Garden. Yet last week the tube took just a few seconds to go from Charing Cross to Embankment.
Surely that's the shortest in distance and time?
Any Tube fans?

me123

Established Member
Leicester Square - Covent Garden is most definitely the shortest tube journey. You can really get a perspective on how short it is from this driver's eye video.

[youtube]NYmHrUdSCsc[/youtube]

Leicester Square - Covent Garden comes in at 0.25km, with an unimpeded running time of 46s.
Charing Cross to Embankment is ever so slightly longer at 0.27km (52s) on the Northern line and 0.37km (58s) on the Bakerloo.

All the data are here.

Last edited:

A Challenge

Established Member
You can see the lights from one station from one of the others platforms, though I can't remember which it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.