• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your perfect train fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Thinking a bit :) A mixed fleet for Regional.

For branches - GTW 2/6 and 2/8

For Commuter services - ET423

For Regional stoppoing services - FLIRTs/Lotschbergers/BR146+stock

For thin intercity - 158/159s (kept in good condition)

Drsatan

Established Member
Part 2

Intercity

Depending on the available budget, I would implement Greengauge 21's high speed line proposals, which can be viewed here: http://www.greengauge21.net/a-high-speed-network-for-britain.html

To operate these services, the following units would be ordered:

• About 80 double decker trains for the West & East coast corridors, and the South Wales/West Coast corridor. These trains would be license-built versions of the TGV Duplex, although some modifications would be necessary to allow them to attain 220mph in normal service.
  • Around 30-40 single-decker units for operation on Trans-pennine services (I presume any trans-pennine line would utilise the Woodhead line trackbed, and the Woodhead tunnels cannot accept double-decker services, athough a new tunnel might be bored), and any services that use classic lines for a notable proportion of the journey. The units would be between 6-12 cars long, and could be license-built versions of the Korean HSR-350x trains, or the ICE3.
  • Alternatively, if the 390s (Pendolino) are replaced on the WCML by push-pull loco-hauled sets, the 390s could be used on Trans-pennine services.
Part 3 (regional and commuter services) due next

barrykas

Established Member
My vote goes to the refurbished WSMR set for all long distance stuff...But preferably done by a company that can turn them out rather more quickly ;)

Having said that, it's definitely been worth the wait IMO. If I didn't know the Mk3s were pushing 35, I could believe they were brand new.

Now I just need some time off work to try and sample the refurbed set properly...

Cheers,

Barry

Established Member
If you'll allow me some artistic license....
Inverness Depot:

87+6xCIE MkIII working Glas/Edin via an electrified Highland Line services. Break 85006 out of Barrow Hill for the odd outing aswell!

310 unit to work morning/evening Aviemore commuter

I'll keep the 158s for Aberdeens, but steal some centre cars to make them 3-cars.

CIE 3-car MkIII (PushPull) sets for Far North and Kyle....

Most trains will be worked by MTU engined 37/4s, fitted with shoving equipment for the Thurso shuffle.

For entertainment though, one out and back trip from Inverness will be hauled by a variety of heritage traction throughout the year on Mons, Weds, Fris, Sats and Suns. Loco pool will be:

A selction of the finest type 2s including 25235, 25278, 26024, 26040, 27001, 27007 and 27066 which will spend the rest of life looking splendid on IS and working Speedlink traffic to Elgin, Invergordon and Lairg.

37025, 37087 and 37111 to also work the above train to allow for a tractor boys day out and be allocated to civil engineers work at other times.

And some grids to work something south or east of Inverness. Just not sure what.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
All the 458's.

I was on a few of them today and they have their own unique characteristics just like every other fleet.

Drsatan

Established Member
Part 4:

Regional and commuter services

The following changes would be made:

• 142s/143s. To the scrapyard immediately. Depending on what services they operate, some would be replaced by Stadler FLIRT EMUs, cascaded 158s/170s, or the Alstom CORADIA LINT
  • 150s/153s. Some would be withdrawn, but the best examples would be retained and extensively refurbished. A few 153s may even be converted into loco-hauled stock.
  • 158s: Some would be semi-permanently coupled into six-car units and turned into push-pull loco-hauled stock, possibly rebuilt with streamlined cab ends
  • 170s/185s. These would all be retained and put to use on several routes currently worked by Pacers and 150s, such as Exeter-Barnstaple, pending electrification

EMUs

• 375s/376s/377s/378s. Since my eventual ambition would be to re-electrify the DC network at 25kv AC all of them would be converted for AC operation
  • 444s/450s: ditto
  • Depending on the ability to gauge-clear lines for double-decker units, a fleet of double-decker EMUs would be built to operate commuter services out of all the London termini (except Kings Cross because of Gasworks tunnel and Moorgate because of the tube tunnels). These units would displace the 455s and 458s, which would be withdrawn since they are DC only. However, some 444s, 450s, 360s, 165s etc. would be transferred to other services.
  • The aforementioned double-decker units would be put to work on Crossrail services, which I feel should be extended to Reading and Ebbsfleet for the time being
  • 317s/321s. Would be refurbished and sent to other lines which would be electrified.
    313s/315s. Would be retained for now although life-expired examples would be withdrawn
  • 350s: given that some would be displaced from the London area some would be transferred to Birmingham and Manchester.

That's all for now I think...

Along with what I previously mentioned I am going to have to add in a 320 set, a 321 and a 322. Those things are immense, particularly the earbusting buzz in the centre car at the opposite end from the pantograph!

Drsatan

Established Member
I forgot to mention that the 165s/166s would be displaced from FGW/Chiltern due to electrification of those routes, so they would be cascaded to various branch lines around the country e.g. the St Ives branch

SqUaShIe P

my fleet for nxea (where I work) would be:
keep all the currant 360s.
replace all 315s with 357s for the metros
replace all 321s with more 360s
replace all the 317s with the new 379s over the west side and stansted
170s seem to get the job done so I'd keep them, maybe get some more of them and turn some of them into 4 cars, and get rid of 153s and 156s but maybe get a few more 158s
for the intercities, I'd eighter want 91s+mk4s OR some 455s or something similar OR I'd get something totally new made for it: they would be 125mph 6 car EMUs. 2+2 seating in standard, 2+1 in first. I'd have a carriage and a half FC and the rest STD. toilet in every other carriage, a buffet/trolly area, a little guards compartment and a space for bikes too. they would run as 6 car during the day and evening, and hook up and run as 12 car during peak times. they wouldn't have end corridors, but they would have a guard in each 6 car set.

I think that's everything

boing_uk

To allow myself the indulgance of a little fantasy here, Id re-engineer the whole Sprinter fleet. The Mk3 bodyshell has proven itself to be a resilient beast after all... not too sure about the bus-bodied 153/155's though. Cull the fleet down a bit though by rebuilding some of the driving units in to centre cars.

I do have a liking for the 175's/180's and I think that the platform is ripe for development in to a reasonable standard vehicle.

Given that we still have masses of coaching stock available, I would just re-engineer them with power doors rather than slam doors.

As for loco's I'd give the whole Class 60 fleet to DRS for them to tinker with and get right. <D

Juniper Driver

Established Member
I'd bin:
The Junipers (smallish fleet)

:sad:

The Fall and Rise of the 458's The unloved trains.:cry:

http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/features/swt458f01.html

"That this comparatively small class of 30 units has been embroiled in controversy throughout their short lives can only be a negative testament to the commercial and political climate of the modern railway. That twenty eight modern EMUs no more than seven years old and only used in service between three and six years could be proposed to be withdrawn from service and placed into store defies common sense" :(

Last edited:

thefab444

Established Member
Slightly modified 444s (increase luggage space, bigger buffet, full coach of FC) for express work.
Basic 450s for outer suburban work (move FC to one end)
High Capacity 450s for inner suburban work

Complete fleet, all interchangeable and compatible.

Convert the 30 458s to AC power, send them to London Midland, in return acquire their 30 350/1s which should be perfect for Portsmouth runs. Those 350s are rightfully ours anyway.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Convert the 30 458s to AC power, send them to London Midland, in return acquire their 30 350/1s which should be perfect for Portsmouth runs. Those 350s are rightfully ours anyway.

Or just reconfigure the 458s internally, stick some carpet in and the 458s would be just as good?

43021HST

Established Member
What train fleet would you have if you was in charge of a train company?.

If I was in charge of a train company on East Midlands Trains

I would have

Local trains fleet:
9 Class 150 2 car sprinter units
20 Class 153 single car sprinter units
11 Class 156 2 car sprinter units
25 Class 158 sprinter express units, 16 2 car units and 9 3 car units

London trains fleet
10 HST units
15 Meridian units

All the units will refurbished outside and inside.

My company would be a frieght company

Class 37s
Class 47s
Class 08
Class 31
Class 87

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I've tidied all my proposals into my post on the first page. It's rather, um, comprehensive.

I don't think spotters and photters would be be too fond of it...

Last edited:

class 455 boy

south central fleet

110 455s coupled together to make 55 8 cars for metro services

gatwick express 9 car class 377 with luggage van at one end to make a tenth coach

90 442s(not possible) to work brighton services

class 350s running in and out of victoria

377/3s replaced by class 456

milton keynes route operated by 8 car 319s

thefab444

Established Member
Or just reconfigure the 458s internally, stick some carpet in and the 458s would be just as good?

Well, they'd need corridor connections that pax can use, the ability to run in service in 12 car formations, and, therefore, SDO.

Mind you, sending the 458s to LM wouldn't be a good idea... how about 458s to Natex, 360/1s to LM, 350s to SWT. A stock move the DfT would be proud of!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Why would you need 90 units just for Brighton services? Even if each train was 2 units, the maximum you could need would be about 25/30 (assuming 4tph).

Last edited:

Drsatan

Established Member
Given that we still have masses of coaching stock available, I would just re-engineer them with power doors rather than slam doors.

I'm not sure whether we'd have enough spare Mk2/3s. 112 Mk2ds were sold to New Zealand a few years ago, others have been scrapped and the remainder are currently in used by DB, Rennaisance Trains and others for charter use. Scotrail uses 75 Mk2/3s for the Caledonian Sleeper and Arriva Trains Wales ownd 20 Mk2s.

Alternatively, the Mk2/3s used in Ireland could be brought back as a cheap way of providing passenger accommodation.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
south central fleet

110 455s coupled together to make 55 8 cars for metro services

gatwick express 9 car class 377 with luggage van at one end to make a tenth coach

class 350s running in and out of victoria

377/3s replaced by class 456

milton keynes route operated by 8 car 319s

How could a Class 377 be 9-Cars long I am sure there are 4-Car and 3-car versions only if i am correct?

route:oxford

Established Member
I'd go for new build.

Class 68 Loco. Based on the 67, but CoCo instead of BoBo (hopefully that is the right way round) and built with a lower power output. Capable of 100mph when hauling 4 fully laden coaches plus passenger carrying DVT Usual formation 3+DVT. Capable of 125mph when working top+tail with 9 coaches.

Coaching stock & DVT based on the Chiltern Clubmans - with end doors.

68-TFL-TSmb-TSDL-DVT

68-TFL-TSmb-TSDL-TSL-DVT

68-TFL-TFL-TSB-TSDL-TSDL-TSL-TSL-TSL-68

68-TFL-TFL-TSB-TSDL-TSDL-TSL-TSL-TSL-TSL-68

Spare TSLs to be included as part of the final delivery. Not accountant friendly, but with an expected lifespan of 50 years - little accidents happen.

Should have added that for underwire services the lead 68 can be switched for a new build electric loco based on the 91. Full 25Kv pass through as standard on all coaches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.