• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rolling stock changes post electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJH1971

Established Member
I'm pleased to say that this morning's 06:16 service from Liverpool Lime Street was a 319.

I can also confirm that 319365 is in active service, as it is standing at Liverpool Lime Street ready for the 07:16 service to Manchester Airport.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martynbristow

Being visible isn't a worthless exercise though. I always consider checking tickets (even without a ticket machine to hand) to be good customer service.

For example someone could be on the wrong train despite CIS, announcements etc. This would be picked up through the ticket check, and appropriate guidance could be given to the passenger.

Exactly
Also Northern should have an appropriate backup plan.

There are numerous threads in Disputes and Prosecutions about people who state they didn't see the conductor come through, they need to be more customer focussed.

If anyone knows of a conductor management vacancy I'll get my whip :P

ianhr

I'm pleased to say that this morning's 06:16 service from Liverpool Lime Street was a 319.

I can also confirm that 319365 is in active service, as it is standing at Liverpool Lime Street ready for the 07:16 service to Manchester Airport.

Excellent! ....shows that they are getting a grip on the recently reported problems, as someone has pointed out it will be a steep learning curve to go over to extensive electric operation after generations of DMUs. However, was not Allerton originally an electric depot when the Liverpool-Crewe electrification was commissioned ~1960?! I wonder if anyone still working there remembers those days?

Starmill

Veteran Member
364 and 362 plus two unnkown comrades at Alllerton Depot just there, one of the unknowns showing 'Brighton' on the electronic destination screen.

superkev

Established Member
364 and 362 plus two unnkown comrades at Alllerton Depot just there, one of the unknowns showing 'Brighton' on the electronic destination screen.

With northern lookink like having just one unit out today as someone remarked previously perhaps network rail finishing 3 months late was not such a bad thing for northern.
k

northwichcat

Veteran Member
With northern lookink like having just one unit out today as someone remarked previously perhaps network rail finishing 3 months late was not such a bad thing for northern.

Well it was originally envisaged there would be 2 x 319s in service last December with one of the released units indirectly being used to provide the new service on the Todmorden Curve. Network Rail failed to have the signalling in place in time for that to happen, as well as failing to have the wires up to allow DMUs to be released.

driver_m

Established Member
Keep your eye out for them via St Helens Central next week maybe. OLE considered live from this Sunday via springs branch and the chord. According to both WON's and posters

Last edited:

Andy2805

I took a group of students (I'm a teacher) between liverpool and manchester yesterday. Lucky to get a 319 both ways although not sure if it was the same one! We left on the 0916 from lime street and then got the 1555 from Piccadilly. I agree with an earlier poster that they're a comfortable enough ride until you pass another train at speed. Plus I'm not keen on the seating. I'm not a fan of the 3s or the inward facing arrangement.

8A Rail

Established Member
However, was not Allerton originally an electric depot when the Liverpool-Crewe electrification was commissioned ~1960?! I wonder if anyone still working there remembers those days?

All the staff presently there are new to the depot and not worked there before as far as i am aware. However, one employee that I do know and works there, his father worked at Allerton from the late 60's, (having been at Edge Hill MPD (8A) before that) until I think the early 2000's. His knowledge of both depots is quite considerable. One thing I can confirm, the wires were live as the depot had regular "electric loco" visits over the years.

317 forever

Established Member
Electric services to Wigan and Manchester Victoria to commence on May 17th timetable change. 12 units will be available with 10 diagrammed.
(So with previously announced 3/5 split I guess that means two diagrammed for Victoria)

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100315&page=209

This is excellent if all these services are fully electric by then. This would be a rapid development as the MIA service has only been part electric for just over a week. I shall enjoy riding an MCV servie more once the refurbishment there is complete.

DJH1971

Established Member
Maybe that's the case with some units laying over at Lime St then and there will be 5 units needed, but broadly you only need 4 units to operate the service.

Not sure where the Warrington BQ services feature yet - unless they are planned to interwork with the Wigan's from the TT change in May

It would make sense to use 319's on the Warrington BQ services, as the West to South single line at Earlestown is now fully wired.

Wigan line should really only need 4 units, and the Vic services will need 3 units, plus 3 units on the Airports there your 10 units with 2 spare/on exam.

The original batch was of 14 units, hence presumably when this full total is available the Warrington services will also go over to 319s? 12 diagrams for 14 units.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Don't trouble yourself, 319's not booked to run on a weekend!

I find it incredible that out of the 5 or more 319s that they now have that they cannot find more than one that is fit for service!

I think they really need to sort out getting more 319s in service and using them in service at the weekend as the DMU maintenance seems to be non-existent at the moment.

Yesterday an ex-LM 150/1 failed on a Mid-Cheshire line service.

The following service as one of the 5 x 142s which only get new seat covers and a repaint under FNW and still retains it's original brown flooring. That train had an out-of-order toilet and there was a strong smell of urine throughout the train. Many people had opened windows, despite it being a cool day.

A replacement for the ex-LM 150/1 was found by de-strengthening a 4 car 150 working on the Buxton line, which released an ex-FNW 150/2. Now that train also had an out-of-order toilet and had some internal lights that weren't working either.

Incidentally a woman travelling on the 142 smelling of urine asked another passenger what company operated the train as she was going to make a complaint. The other passenger replied "I think it's North Western Trains."

Back to the 319s again there was a 319 in FCC livery sat in Stockport sidings yesterday afternoon.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The following service as one of the 5 x 142s which only get new seat covers and a repaint under FNW and still retains it's original brown flooring. That train had an out-of-order toilet and there was a strong smell of urine throughout the train. Many people had opened windows, despite it being a cool day.

Even if a toilet is faulty, there is no excuse surely for allowing any unit to enter into service without firstly ensuring such stated odours are removed to the best of the depot's ability. Surely there are products on the market that are available to TOC to ensure this occurs.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
...Back to the 319s again there was a 319 in FCC livery sat in Stockport sidings yesterday afternoon.

319379, for driver training.

Even if a toilet is faulty, there is no excuse surely for allowing any unit to enter into service without firstly ensuring such stated odours are removed to the best of the depot's ability. Surely there are products on the market that are available to TOC to ensure this occurs.

There is a limit to what products and chemicals can be used, you can't just go to a shop, buy something and then spray it around everywhere. Every product/chemical that is used MUST have a COSHH (Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health) sheet, even if it is something you would use everyday at home without even thinking about it. That is not to say Northern, or any other company, don't have suitable products/chemicals though.

Equally, maybe someone went around urinating AFTER it came off the depot? Of course, it all boils down to one question, smelly service or no service?

Class 170101

Established Member
Does anyone know if there any diagrams that could be sent out as a 319 at weekends on a Control basis to ease the issues described above?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Equally, maybe someone went around urinating AFTER it came off the depot? Of course, it all boils down to one question, smelly service or no service?

In the instance I described more likely to do with the out-of-order toilet on the train as this was around 1pm. If someone had urinated on the train then it was likely the previous day on a late night service.

One load of passengers in each direction had to put up with no service (due to the failed 150/1) and then a smelly service with around double the usual number of passengers, so obviously not good publicity for Northern.

Aictos

Established Member
Does anyone have any inking to what diagrams the 319s ought to be on this week please?

fowler9

Established Member
Does anyone have any inking to what diagrams the 319s ought to be on this week please?

I believe that it is carrying on the same. The 06:16 from Lime street and every three hours thereafter (09, 12, 15 etc.) The other diagram is weird, leaves Lime Street at 07:16 and then hangs around in Manchester for a bit.

physics34

Established Member

Dont know if its like it up there, but southern use a sweet, almost urine scented toliet/train cleaner....... really doesnt get rid of the smell, infact can make it worse!

driver_m

Established Member
Dont know if its like it up there, but southern use a sweet, almost urine scented toliet/train cleaner....... really doesnt get rid of the smell, infact can make it worse!

Maybe more regular users could vouch for this, (or not) but the northern units seem to have been internally much better in recent times and this is down to Allerton opening. So once the 319s are fully out and the staff are relaxed about using them. It should bode well for the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.