• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1A40 Night Riviera Sleeper to London (22/1/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

Anyone got any idea whats going on?
I hear that it has failed at mutley tunnel, and now its standing on plat 4 due to a TPWS problem,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Don't have the answer to your question (sorry :() but I'm wondering do you always watch the Night Rivera as whenever there is a problem you seem to spot it and post about it?

Ibex

Departed Plymouth 6 minutes late, arrived at Totnes 121 late. Not bad. As of 04:48 it's currently in the Castle Cary area 144 minutes late.

TRUST delay attribution is
“Update 23:33. 1A40 TPWS Probs Plymouth, Plymouth signaller advises. Train now stationary after departing. Wtg further info. 1A40 returned to Plymouth pending events. Update 01:30, 2 HST power cars off Laira TMD to work train forward. On the move 121' late.”.

A further 46 minute delay was incurred at Exeter St Davids whilst the HST power cars were swapped with the loco off 1C99 which is now working the train forward to Paddington.

The train is also booked via Honiton tonight but I'm not too up on that area so I don't know if that's a regular route for 1A40. That should answer your question.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
They hauled it with HST power cars?
I thought the only power cars with the couplings neccesary are Grand Central ones?

shedman

The detactable draw bar for the front of the power cars can attach to the draw hook of a loco (with some exceptions, DBS 66/67). It's not a difficult thing to do.

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
So essentially we have a sleeper variant of a hst :)

Eagle

Established Member
Departed Plymouth 6 minutes late, arrived at Totnes 121 late.

Appears to have passed Lipson Junction (near Laira) 121 late, actually. Departed Plymouth 23.26, passed Lipson 01.24.

The booked route was via Honiton and Melksham, but it appears to have disappeared at Westbury to turn up at Reading having made up half an hour so I guess it went via Newbury instead. Amazingly it made up another half hour between Reading and London to arrive at the respectable time of 06.30.

sonic2009

Established Member
So that explains why I got woke up at Exeter this morning by the Sound of an HST, I'm on 1C99 having been travelling with a friend from Reading , having duly accepted a last minute trip all paid for. Well on an advance currently left Camborne on our way to Penzance. I will post a photo with my Phone. :)

marks87

Established Member
So essentially we have a sleeper variant of a hst :)
Sort of.

IIRC, they couple the power cars back-to-back, and essentially use them as one loco to drag the 57 Thunderbird-style (which is slightly ironic).

There was a YouTube video, but I can't seem to find it.

Drsatan

Established Member
Sort of.

IIRC, they couple the power cars back-to-back, and essentially use them as one loco to drag the 57 Thunderbird-style (which is slightly ironic).

There was a YouTube video, but I can't seem to find it.

This isn't the first time two HST power cars have been coupled back to back to haul the sleeper. It's occured on several occasions whenever the 57 booked to haul the train has failed and there are no 57s spare.

mralexn

Don't have the answer to your question (sorry :() but I'm wondering do you always watch the Night Rivera as whenever there is a problem you seem to spot it and post about it?

well, i live in plymouth, and that train is my favourite bit of traction so :)

sonic2009

Established Member
According to GEN. The Sleeper tonight will run with The Powercars and The 57 again.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
If there are power cars lying spare would it not be easier to just fit the train with TDM cables and run it top and tail? :|

richw

Veteran Member
anyone know which hst numbers were drafted in, and which loco broke
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Sonic, may i post your picture to another forum i use where i visit who are discussing this formation also.

TEW

Established Member
If there are power cars lying spare would it not be easier to just fit the train with TDM cables and run it top and tail? :|

Conventional HST powercars, like FGWs aren't fitted with TDM, only the ones adapted to work in tandem with 91s, the buffer fitted GC ones are. You also still need a 57 in the formation for ETH purposes, the ETH supply from the HST powercars being different to that from standard ETH. If you ran top and tail it would mean connecting an HST powercar blunt end to the 57, which I don't think is possible. Long term it is a possibility, with the coaching stock converted to the same systems as HST powercars with the service hauled by two powercars top and tail, for a short term answer to the 57 failing it is not possible.

sprinterguy

Established Member
It's incredible that the time has come when locos are being rescued by HST power cars, and on more than one occasion now. Such a thing would have been virtually unthinkable fifteen or twenty years ago, it's completely backwards!

There really aren't many locos going round these days are there (Comparatively).

sonic2009

Established Member
Yes RichW feel free to use elsewhere, feel free to PM me for more pics.

I will try and find out what's on the Up Sleeper for Paddington.
Power Cars Used were 43141+43135

57602 locomotive in Question.
According to my sources and in Trust for tonight the same combo is booked for 1A40 2145 PNZ-PAD

TEW

Established Member
Rumours suggest 43135 and 43141 will come off the train at Newton Abbot though, having assisted 57602 over the worst of the gradients along the route.

TEW

Established Member
No, that was 57603 last week. This time I don't know but it failed going up a bank yesterday, so presumably it does work, but is unable to cope with some of the banks along the route.

daikilo

Established Member
It's incredible that the time has come when locos are being rescued by HST power cars, and on more than one occasion now. Such a thing would have been virtually unthinkable fifteen or twenty years ago, it's completely backwards!

There really aren't many locos going round these days are there (Comparatively).

That is Laira for you. Think out of the box. Do what is possible.

34D

Established Member
Maybe under intercity express programme (if it ever happens) we will see some stock that is compatible with the day stock.

Presumably there are other poorly 57s also? I saw the other day that the class 08 brought the ecs into Pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.