• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3000 applicants so far for TPE trainee dvr jobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Liverpool for me
Would be relocating to Chester or The Wirral if successful

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lanc688

Do any of you guys know when TPE actually intend to start training the lucky ones. Are there multiple intakes at all?

Lanc

doubleamber

I'm in the same county as you, however i would still need to relocate to be within the allotted time.

Anyway there's still the small matter of an invite first...awaiting shortlisting also.

Lanc

Im within the travelling time, and the lincoln -sheffield line is a 5 min walk from my house, but as you say, small matter of the invite!!

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I imagine if it's 10 vacancies over 3 depots it will be one intake and it looks like a ten month course...
I don't think they can hang about as successful candidates will still be newly qualified at same time as refranchise

Lanc688

I imagine if it's 10 vacancies over 3 depots it will be one intake and it looks like a ten month course...
I don't think they can hang about as successful candidates will still be newly qualified at same time as refranchise

I've a mate who applied early last year for another First line and has only just started.

I just never expect things to move quickly in this line, but maybe there is more urgency for this one.

Lanc

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Do you know what routes Sheffield depot signs?
I don't know if Liverpool will go all way to Scarborough and Newcastle or change at York

kleb15

Applied to Manc me, can do Liverpool too, but i'm from Manc, so best to stick to what u know, always get tpe to the airport or lancaster when i head up there

Lanc688

Still "Awaiting Shortlisting" Grrrrrrr !

Apologies; I know that patience is a virtue and I tell the kids that, but then it's also difficult to practice what one preaches sometimes.

Lanc

Kkafesci

Can anybody help please.....sorry bit off the subject but I'm a newbie and cant work out how to start a thread :s

Its all moved very quickly for me I applied for trainee train driver position with southern rail....on 17th july, i had my assessments and structured interiew on wednesday and had my final interview today. Apparently i passed all of my assesments at a high standard but i'm not sure about my final interview, the questions were rather bizzare and not all what I had been prepping myself for....they mirrored the structured interview...lots of can u give us an example of......your greatest achievment...etc etc I am so worried now that I may have fallen at the last hurdle as I was under the impression from my interview confirmation email that if I succeeded in todays interview I would be booked in for my medical...instead I was told that I would hear sometime next week with a YES NO or YES on HOLD answer....the training starts on 3rd september so time is of the essence.

Not sure if this is an indication but i was in the interview for 1hr 50mins and after they finished asking me questions they asked which depot I would like to be stationed at (choice of 2... I said either would be suitable) they explained the pay structure and route i would drive along with shift times....is this a positive or run of the mill?

Has anybody been in a simular situation and if so what was the outcome....I know its a bit of a how long is a piece of string question....but searching for some reassurance!!! :neutral:

PhilC

Does anybody now what assessments TPE use? At the moment I am just practising all types of potential assessments. I believe the is a national standard but all TOC's can introduce extra assessments!

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Hi Phil,

I'm not sure if they use any non core elements such as verbal excercise etc
They will send you info in post as what to prepare for.
Make sure you practice loads of Dots tests or SCAAT tests

PhilC

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure if they use any non core elements such as verbal excercise etc
They will send you info in post as what to prepare for.
Make sure you practice loads of Dots tests or SCAAT tests

Hi Dave,
TPE aren’t sending anything out. I have spoken to them, it just says on the e-mail problem solving assessments that last about 2 hours. So I am practising the group bourdon, SCAAT, Mechanical, Math, Spatial reasoning, trainibility for rules, understanding information, work rate and finally using a bop it for reaction.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Hi Dave,
TPE aren’t sending anything out. I have spoken to them, it just says on the e-mail problem solving assessments that last about 2 hours. So I am practising the group bourdon, SCAAT, Mechanical, Math, Spatial reasoning, trainibility for rules, understanding information, work rate and finally using a bop it for reaction.

Ah ok,

I think you are pretty well covered with what you are practicing with based on your list above :)
Remember dots and SCAAT it will be one or other is the one that catches out a lot.
I'm sure reactions will be second day but best to be well prepared

kleb15

Can I just ask then, have TPE already been in touch with people about the trainee vacancies? cos my status on their website hasn't updated or anything yet

Flyboy

I have to agree with Beveridge's earlier comment in regard to the appalling First Group online application process. I applied for FTPE Trainee Driver positions back in mid-2010 but was rejected at the first stage due to falling short on the "relevant skills" score. I found this highly amusing as I would argue that the skills and experiences gained in both my previous and current careers (I'm ex-RAF and my username is a big hint at my current role) are very desirable and obviously compatible with the skills needed to be a train driver. I did manage to find out the skills and experiences of a couple of guys who got through to the second stage, and without wishing to discredit them in any way, the fact that they got through and I didn't shows that the application process doesn't work.

As a very diligent and patient person I worked out reasonably quickly that Word was required during the application process, but is there any guidance on the website in regard to that - NO! I also find it preposterous, if true, that using the word "always" might get an applicant rejected, for example I always strive for perfection in everything I do, so that's wrong is it? Crazy!

The "Job Alert" feature of the website is equally useless as I have an alert set up for FTPE Trainee Driver vacancies, but did I receive an email - NO! However, I'm not sure I would have bothered to apply anyway; my previous answers from 2010, which were very carefully considered and utilised every single word of the maximum allowed, would have been largely the same, so another rejection would have likely been the result.

Of course I lay no blame whatsoever at the door of FTPE, it's the useless First Group application process that is preventing many of the right sort of candidates getting through, and if a company can't manage to get the recruitment process right what does that say about their wider qualities?

Lanc688

FlyBoy,

I sympathise with you, as being in a similar line of buisiness I can see where you are coming from.

Did you give up at that hurdle?, or would you consider applying again?

It seems that in part due to the sheer volume of applications now for these jobs, that some of the guys from perceived 'suitable backgrounds' may easily be overlooked and yes that is clearly a massive hole within the recruitment process.

My advice would have been to send a CV to the company, that would possibly place your head above the parapet when vacancies do arrive.

But then what do I know....I'm not a driver yet :cry:

Regards
Lanc

Flyboy

Hi Lanc & notadriver,

As the closing date has now passed I know for sure that First Group HR wouldn't now entertain an application, so no I won't be applying. Had I known about the vacancies before the closing date (I didn't receive a job alert email) I may have submitted my previous application, but I wouldn't have wasted time and energy changing my previous answers, not that they needed it. I've been trying since 2008 to make the move, so the FTPE rejection back in 2010 wasn't the first knock back, but most definitely the worst application procedure. If I'd been rejected at the second stage then I would have had no complaints whatsoever, but it was absolutely absurd to reject someone with my skills and experience at the first stage.

I'm also pretty fed up being advised by TOCs to consider other positions, such as Guard, just to get my foot in the door, but I don't have the skills for that sort of role so wouldn't consider entertaining it. Also, as a person with high standards, I simply couldn't go into an interview for a job that didn't actually want and which was purely a stepping stone role, that's not me I'm afraid.

Some might consider it madness moving from my current flying role to train driving, but aviation is not the glamorous job that it was when I started flying, and finding a job that doesn't include hundreds of miles of commuting is a rarity.

In regard to your CV suggestion Lanc, I don't think First Group accept CVs do they?

Lanc688

FlyBoy

"In regard to your CV suggestion Lanc, I don't think First Group accept CVs do they?"

If you address a CV / Covering letter to the right person, then I would suggest that any company would accept one.

Doesn't mean you'll get a job, but at least it will give you a head start.

Regards
Lanc

PS.....PM on way to you !

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
It is worrying when you read people have been short listed and mine is still saying awaiting shortlisting :|

BLS

Hi Lanc & notadriver,

As the closing date has now passed I know for sure that First Group HR wouldn't now entertain an application, so no I won't be applying. Had I known about the vacancies before the closing date (I didn't receive a job alert email) I may have submitted my previous application, but I wouldn't have wasted time and energy changing my previous answers, not that they needed it. I've been trying since 2008 to make the move, so the FTPE rejection back in 2010 wasn't the first knock back, but most definitely the worst application procedure. If I'd been rejected at the second stage then I would have had no complaints whatsoever, but it was absolutely absurd to reject someone with my skills and experience at the first stage.

I'm also pretty fed up being advised by TOCs to consider other positions, such as Guard, just to get my foot in the door, but I don't have the skills for that sort of role so wouldn't consider entertaining it. Also, as a person with high standards, I simply couldn't go into an interview for a job that didn't actually want and which was purely a stepping stone role, that's not me I'm afraid.

Some might consider it madness moving from my current flying role to train driving, but aviation is not the glamorous job that it was when I started flying, and finding a job that doesn't include hundreds of miles of commuting is a rarity.

In regard to your CV suggestion Lanc, I don't think First Group accept CVs do they?

All jokes aside; if you keep getting the knock-back then maybe it says more about you than it does the TOC?

You seem very sure of yourself, maybe even over-qualified, perhaps this is the problem?

Nice of you to pour scorn over those who got the job in 2010 too.

lvaxb24

All jokes aside; if you keep getting the knock-back then maybe it says more about you than it does the TOC?

You seem very sure of yourself, maybe even over-qualified, perhaps this is the problem?

Nice of you to pour scorn over those who got the job in 2010 too.

Yup!!

Status
Not open for further replies.