• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

55013's Contemporary Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Thanks chaps.
There was certainly a bit more railway action than I was anticipating before we went.
My wife thoroughly enjoyed the holiday as well.

Well, time waits for no man and those moves are history.
I've something more recent to post and here it is.

Less than a week after our return from Scotland and I was on the rails once more.
This time it was my usual Friday off work and I was London bound.
I’ve been looking at my EMU numbers and certain classes have avoided my red pen in great numbers.
The poorest of those is class 450, but they’re not in imminent danger.
Second on the list are the 321s and these are coming to the end of their careers, therefore my plan for today was to improve my Dusty Bin numbers.

First, I had to get in a decent position and this started at Wakefield.
I was there well before my booked service, so I decided to go to Leeds, if it was a required mileage 91 the extra ten might come in useful.
142025 was my ride from Westgate to Leeds.
Sadly, but not unexpectedly, it wasn’t a mileage requirement on the London train.
91127 reached the thousand-mile mark earlier this year.

I had a shack scoring move in mind prior to starting my 321 hunt, so it was to the underground and 11048 to Seven Sisters.
After finding my way through the maze to the mainline platforms I only had a short wait before 317732 & 317710 arrived to take me to Rectory Road.

EMU 317732_2018.10.05_Seven Sisters by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Next up were 315805 & 315817.
These took me to Stamford Hill and that was that, all the London Overground stations served by Liverpool Street are now done.
Another pair of 315s, 808 & 807, were enjoyed into Liverpool Street and I began looking for Dusties.

EMU 315808_2018.10.05_Stamford Hill_& 315807 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I didn’t have too long a wait.
321364 was dud, but it was very low mileage, so I decided to do it.
Stratford wouldn’t see it reach the wanted point, but with Shenfield now added to the Oyster area, that wasn’t a problem.

Mileage is nice, but outright winners were what I was looking for.
321336 was just the ticket.
By Stratford it had joined the TMC, so I left it there to see what was following.
I don’t like hanging about too long, however, so when another low mileage unit, 321443, arrived, I took it.

As with 321364 earlier, it was very low mileage and required a round trip to Liverpool Street to join the club.
Having had a mere twenty-two members of the class over ten miles prior to this move, I considered three to be a good start.
I wanted more.

321424 was next, to Shenfield.
A short wait ended with me boarding a winning pair, 321319 and 321360.
Before today, the only one I’d had below 321334 was 321307 and that was only for a Stratford leap.
As you may imagine, this had bugged me no end, so I was glad to get a lower numbered one in the book.

Once again, I left the train at Stratford.
Following behind was another pair of winners, 321331 and ex-GN 321409.
As is my usual way, I wanted to travel in each of the units in a multiple sets and I had a plan.
I re-joined 321319/360 and took them to Stratford.

I had to get the first thing back, this was 360111, a winner but still under ten miles as the 321s were my priority.
331 & 409 were thus taken for a second time, as they remained less than the ten I stayed aboard until Shenfield.
Rush hour was now approaching and triple sets were making an appearance.

One such combo soon arrived another former Kings Cross stalwart, 321410, led sisters 321361 and doyen of the class 321301.

EMU 321410_2018.10.05_Shenfield by Phil Wood, on Flickr

In order to ride in all three I decided to do something I don’t normally do.
I rode in the rear unit, 301, to Stratford then leapt out and did a rapid walk to middle set 361.
At Liverpool Street I transferred to 410 and did them back out to Stratford.

That was it for 321s.
As I was arriving at the Street on the triple set I’d seen a low mileage 315 leaving for Shenfield.
Not just A low mileage one, it was THE low mileage one.
Having made several trips to the area over the last couple of years I managed to get fifty-nine of the sixty-one members of the class.
Two were needed outright but neither seemed to be out today (in fact I think one, 854, might already have been withdrawn).
Other than those two, 315826 was a bug-bear.
I have all my units on Excel databases on my phone; each set is colour co-ordinated.
Gold (well, orange, but it does the trick) for units had for over ten miles, green for ones under ten and red for required (naturally).
I had fifty consecutive gold 315, or at least I would have if I could rope 826 in.
Now I was at Stratford so proposed to follow it to a suitable location and pick it up on its way back into London.

I’ve said on here before that I’ve no intention of doing a 345 until they are made up to the full nine cars.
Crammed rush-hour services are also best avoided.
However, needs must, so I found myself joining fourteen million other people crammed onto 345022.
It’s only nine and a half miles from Stratford to Gidea Park, so I’d have to get it again anyway, even if the new coaches didn’t cause an issue.

Happily, my unpleasant journey proved worthwhile and 315826 soon arrived to take me back to Liverpool Street.
Its companion was 315857.

Prior to seeing 315826 my plan had been to do the triple to Stratford, then head West for a bit of 313 action as there are quite a few of those still under ten miles.
The 315 had seen this plan binned, but I could still get a ride on a 313, hopefully one that fitted the mileage bill.

I walked to Moorgate and found that the first departure was appropriate.
313043 became the forty-sixth one to join the TMC; still eighteen to go but I’m not hopeful with the new 717s due to start shortly.
313049 was the other unit in the set.
I left them at Finsbury Park with TMC membership assured for 313043.

One last winner was next, but only for bus-stop mileage.
700138 took me to St Pancras.

Today I was booked on the 20.03.
This is the same loco that works the 07.13 off Wakefield in the morning so I usually avoid it.
If it had been 91120 or 91131 this would have been great but as it was 91127, not so much.
However, I’m very glad I was on this one and not my usual 20.33 service.
As 91127 left platform 0 at Kings Cross I observed a Hull Trains 180 in platform 2.
Nothing unusual about that; but this was the ill-fated 20.30 departure and, I later discovered, caught fire at Grantham.
The 20.33 was stuck right behind it and was stood for several hours.
I was back in Wakefield shortly after the due time.
The 20.33 didn’t stop at Wakefield, instead passenger for Westgate had to get taxis from Doncaster at quarter past two on Saturday morning!
I dodged a bullet there.

In summary, it was a very enjoyable day; thirteen winners, nine of them 321s (all going straight into the TMC), another two joining that club and a couple of new shacks.

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Just caught up. Good trip to Scotland with lots happening across multiple days. IBM really is an odd shack that makes me wonder why they have left it open. Good day trip to London too.

The_Train

Established Member
Sounded like a great end to your Scottish trip, glad you and the other half both enjoyed your time up there.

You certainly did dodge a big bullet on your southern trip. Doesn't bear thinking about being stuck like that for hours on end.

Established Member
Cheers lads.

45135 and I had a trip out last week to a line that I've not visited for a few years.
There was a chance to exercise the red pen and we took it.

It was the Churnet Valley "North Staffordshire Railway 40th Anniversary Gala" that attracted our attention.

I was picked up from home shortly after 08.00 and we arrived at Cheddleton about half an hour before our planned first train.
This event was due to see a mix of diesel and steam locos in action, although we had no interest in the latter and the day was planned to be 100% diesel for us.

Even before we set off we knew one of the diesels, 33102, had failed so was out.
At least our winner was still working, though.

08633 got the day off to a good start when we took it to Kingsley & Froghall.

Here it is in the yard just after we arrived.
08633_2018.10.20_1_Cheddleton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

We stayed on board the Gronk whilst it had a run to Leek Brook and thence back to Cheddleton.
The last time I'd visited the line, in 2006, there wasn't a station to scratch at Leek Brook, it was just a run-round loop.

We had about half an hour at Cheddleton before old friend 33021 appeared to take us to Ipstones.
This was new track for me beyond Leek Brook, although the lack of a platform at Ipstones prevented me doubling my shack scores for the day.

The plan now was to stay on board the same stock whilst 33102 replaced 33021.
We already knew that wouldn't be happening.
Or would it?
Well no; not exactly anyway.

33102 did surprise us by backing on, although it was paired with a steam loco.
This was an American loco, numbered 5197.

We hoped the Crompton would do some work, but from where we were sat only the kettle was audible, so no 33102 miles recorded today for us.

The steamer was only taken as far as Consall where we bailed for some more shunter action.

08633 then took us back to Cheddleton, via Leek Brook and a run-round.

Another Cheddleton-Froghall-Leek Brook-Cheddleton round trip followed, behind 33021.

Running round at Leek Brook:
33021_2018.10.20_3_Leek Brook by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Our day then finished with the same moves behind the 08.

The drive home was relatively hassle free and I was in the house before the time I'd given Mrs 13, thus earning a few Brownie points :)

Skymonster

Established Member
Seems like it was a nice little 'mega jolly trips day outing' (as we used to call them)... I seriously thought about going to the CVR too but decided not to in the end - now I wish I'd done it...

Established Member
Cheers lads.

45135 and I had a trip out last week to a line that I've not visited for a few years.
There was a chance to exercise the red pen and we took it.

It was the Churnet Valley "North Staffordshire Railway 40th Anniversary Gala" that attracted our attention.

I was picked up from home shortly after 08.00 and we arrived at Cheddleton about half an hour before our planned first train.
This event was due to see a mix of diesel and steam locos in action, although we had no interest in the latter and the day was planned to be 100% diesel for us.

Even before we set off we knew one of the diesels, 33102, had failed so was out.
At least our winner was still working, though.

08633 got the day off to a good start when we took it to Kingsley & Froghall.

Here it is in the yard just after we arrived.
08633_2018.10.20_1_Cheddleton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

We stayed on board the Gronk whilst it had a run to Leek Brook and thence back to Cheddleton.
The last time I'd visited the line, in 2006, there wasn't a station to scratch at Leek Brook, it was just a run-round loop.

We had about half an hour at Cheddleton before old friend 33021 appeared to take us to Ipstones.
This was new track for me beyond Leek Brook, although the lack of a platform at Ipstones prevented me doubling my shack scores for the day.

The plan now was to stay on board the same stock whilst 33102 replaced 33021.
We already knew that wouldn't be happening.
Or would it?
Well no; not exactly anyway.

33102 did surprise us by backing on, although it was paired with a steam loco.
This was an American loco, numbered 5197.

We hoped the Crompton would do some work, but from where we were sat only the kettle was audible, so no 33102 miles recorded today for us.

The steamer was only taken as far as Consall where we bailed for some more shunter action.

08633 then took us back to Cheddleton, via Leek Brook and a run-round.

Another Cheddleton-Froghall-Leek Brook-Cheddleton round trip followed, behind 33021.

Running round at Leek Brook:
33021_2018.10.20_3_Leek Brook by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Our day then finished with the same moves behind the 08.

The drive home was relatively hassle free and I was in the house before the time I'd given Mrs 13, thus earning a few Brownie points :)
I agree a good mini trip.out, however is 33021 meant to be in a RES livery or a livery I never saw whilst out of the game?

Established Member
33021 is in post office red, although not quite RES.
The person who first preserved it worked for the Royal Mail and had it painted like that.
After a few years in blue the CVR decided to revisit the livery.

Established Member
Yesterday I made what will probably be my last London trip of the year.

I began with my usual 91 to Kings Cross.
Today I was going from Bradford Forster Square, much closer to home than Wakefield and only 50p for rail users to park.
Much better than the tenner you have to fork out at Westgate.
This did mean I would have to get an earlier service home, though.

Once again I was hoping my journey down would be on a low mileage loco; once again I was thwarted.
91102 was doing the deed and by the time I got to London it had become the first member of the class to join the TWO thousand mile club.

My aims for today were pretty much the same as my previous visit three weeks earlier.
However, I wanted to begin by getting some 313 miles in.
With the 717s poised to start and my next London visit unlikely to be for a few months, this could prove to be the last time I get to sample them.
Winner 700045 took me from Kings Cross to Finsbury Park.

I don't need any GN 313s but there were no less than sixteen below ten miles.
My wait wasn't too long as the first set to arrive gave me an appropriate unit.
This was 313134, which was working with 313059.

The mileage on 134 was so low that I had to do it to Moorgate, then back out to Alexandra Palace in order to reach the desired point.

EMU 313134_2018.10.26_Alexandra Palace by Phil Wood, on Flickr

As I arrived at Ally Pally I observed a set leaving South.
This contained my most wanted 313.
It was one that I'd only previously had as the second unit in a winning pair and wanted a ride in it.
This was the only member of the class in that predicament.

I joined the following service, worked by 313044 and 313061; nether of these were mileage requirements but they did get my to me rendezvous with 313033.
I left 044 & 061 at Old Street to ensure I made the connection.
033 was led by 313064.
Not only did I ride in 313033, I also gave it membership of the TMC en route to New Barnet.

Now I decided to head East and go after stuff out of Liverpool Street.
Happily, another member of the TMC could be sworn in on the journey.
This time it was 313054, possibly the last of that fleet to gain membership of the august club.
313030 was its partner.

From Moorgate I walked to Liverpool Street.
As with my last visit, I had 321s on my mind.

I was in luck as I had no sooner walked onto the concourse than I spotted a pair waiting to leave.
Dud 321422 was nearest the barrier but I decided to go through and see what was on the front.
It was the right decision as that was 321340.
For mileage accumulation purposes I took them to Romford.

Although I was after 321s I hadn't forgotten 315s.
I said last time that I thought one of my last two had been withdrawn.
However, since then I'd seen a definitive list and both of them are still working.
I'd been keeping a look-out but hadn't seen either of them south of Romford.
The one that I erroneously thought had been binned proved it was still alive and kicking when it rolled in on the next Liverpool Street service.
I didn't need telling twice (or once, for that matter) to leap aboard 315854.
315849 was its compadre.
Now I only needed one to clear the class.

Once back at the Street it was a case of looking around for something required.
321303 fitted the bill nicely.

This service didn't stop at Romford, so Shenfield it was.

EMU 321303_2018.10.26_Shenfield by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Passing the sidings to the North of Gidea Park I saw two sets of 315s waiting to come out for the evening peak.
My last 315 was in one of the pairs!

RTT was perused and departures from the yard were noted.
Two sets waiting to leave and two sets booked out, it's got to be one of them.
I hoped it was the first one and planned accordingly.

There was still a couple of hours to fill, so when I got to Shenfield I hung around for a required 321.

I knew a wanted Dusty had gone to Braintree and the return working would land at Liverpool Street just nicely in time for the 1615 departure that would be formed by the first set off Gidea Park.

Thus, I had a plan.
321339 was my chariot from Shenfield as far as Stratford.
I had to get the first thing back and this was also productive; 360121 and mileage requirement 360119 doing the job.

Now I was biting my fingernails.
I got the ex-Braintree service, which was 321359 but that was almost inconsequential.
My eyes were firmly fixed on the up side of the line as we sped South.
The ECS was due to leave before this train, so there should now be only one set waiting.
Blast!
One set had gone, but it wasn't the one I wanted.

I had another look on RTT.
The second set should follow me and do the 16.57 LLS - Shenfield.
As I said earlier, I was booked on an earlier than normal train home.
This was the 18.33 from Kings Cross.
The 16.57 was due into Romford, where I would have to go for reasons of mileage, at 17.20.
An hour and ten minutes to get from Romford to Kings Cross in Friday rush hour.
Doable, as long as nothing went wrong.

I decided that I would regret it if I went for the man of jelly move, so once I reached Liverpool Street I just hung around for three quarters of an hour.
I knew dud 315819 was on the London end of my wanted set, so if I observed that I would be obliged to do it, if it turned out to be another set then I would revert to my original plan of returning to Kings Cross via a 313 move from Moorgate.

When the set arrived I was pleased to see 315819 was, indeed, on the blocks.
I made my way down the platform and, sure enough, there was my sixty-first and final 315, 315851.
Huzzah!

As I had gone specifically for this service and the commuters were, not unnaturally, piling on the previous Shenfield service, I had plenty of time to get a seat.

Once the train was on the move and I had enjoyed listening to the class clearance cannons my thoughts turned to the journey home.
If this train didn't lose any time I had a plus five at Romford that would see me back in Liverpool Street at 17.53, then it would be a rapid walk to the underground and squeeze myself onto the first thing West.

My luck held and 315851 deposited me at Shenfield right on time.
Having had my first experience of a 345 three weeks before I now had no choice but to have my second.
So much for not doing them until they're running as nine car units.
345017 was my, extremely uncomfortable, ride back to Liverpool Street.
What can I say that isn't rude?
As it was going into London there was plenty of room and I sat all the way.
This was a mistake.
My posterior is still paining me this morning!

The best thing about the journey was that it ended two minutes earlier than booked, which enabled me to get to the underground just as a set was about to shut its doors.
I spent the journey stood with my nose almost resting on the top of a bald blokes head; it was fairly full :)

I'm not a big LU fan; I record the units that I ride in but rarely go out of my way to get them.
It was surprising, therefore, when it turned out that the coach I was crammed in, 22425, was one of the few I've been in before.

Kings Cross/St Pancras was reached at 18.04 and I was up in the concourse a few minutes later.
Job done.

Inevitably, my loco home was not one of those pesky low mileage machines, rather it was 91114.

Forster Square was reached without any problems and another enjoyable and productive day was in the bag.

Last edited:

barrowjack

Sounds like a productive trip to London, and congrats on clearing the 315's. I am down next week for a few days, and though I don't want to spend a full day on the train am hoping to bag a few winners. With so much change am not sure where to go, but think it will be GA, leaping around Stratford to try and get as many winners as I can!

The_Train

Established Member
Another very productive day in the capital and congrats on clearing the 315s....surprised I didn't hear the cannons from the midlands considering you thought your chance of completing these had gone last time out

87electric

Great stuff on the 315 clearance. I've also had a few haulage clearance cannons that nearly made me miss my train home. Squeaky bum times.

Established Member
Thanks chaps.

The_Train - I was certain I would never do it a few weeks ago; then when I realised both were still in service I hoped I'd get one. To get both was above and beyond my expectations, so yes I'm surprised you didn't hear the roar of the cannons as well :)

433N

Congrats on clearing the 315s.

Reading your reports does make me well jel. I think I have just about seen half of them and don't imagine I'm going to much of an inroad before they go. :(

ash39

Established Member
Must be a good feeling to tick off your last 315 in the nick of time. Great read as always.

Established Member
Thanks folks.
Ash- it felt very good indeed.
The trouble is, once I get one thing complete I immediately turn my mind to what's next :)

What was next for me was a bit of shack scratching.

A few months I ago I did one of those Northern newspaper moves.
When I was filling the form in online I was asked if I wanted to take part in a survey with a chance to win a free day ticket.
I must have had a bit of time on my hands as normally I wouldn't have bothered, but this time I did.
A couple of months later I received an e-mail from Northern telling me that I'd won a day pass for their network.
Glory be, I've won something.

I got the ticket in the post in September but have been busy with other stuff so had no chance to use it until yesterday.
Having given it a lot of thought I decided to head West.
There are plenty of stations around Merseyside that require a visit and I was after a few Northern 319s, one in particular.

It would have been a faff going over by Northern, so I decided to bite the bullet and pay to use TPE instead.

The day began at Low Moor with 142092.
The Pacer, already a member of the hundred mile club, took me to Huddersfield where my return to Manchester was duly purchased.
I was heading to Piccadilly so flagged the first service, which was a Liverpool via Victoria.
I noted sardonically that this was in the hands of 185101, a unit that, until earlier this year, I'd spent ages chasing and had mocked me incessantly by always going in the opposite direction to where I was headed.

When my train arrived it was worked by 185115.
One coach of his unit, 54115, was required for a ride in so that's where I sat.
That makes 26 of the fleet cleared for riding in all coaches; it gets harder from here.

Once at Piccadilly I strolled over to platform 14.
A slight detour was made down to the main platforms when I espied a 175 in the new red and white livery.
It was 175003 and my short diversion netted me a photo and didn't impact on my planned move.

DMU 175003_2018.11.02_Manchester Piccadilly by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I was going for a Crewe - Liverpool service which I was hoping would be a 319.
It wasn't.
It was 323225.
At least this gave me the opportunity to approve its membership of the "all the coaches" club.

Now it was time to begin visiting new stations.
I had no real plan, it depended on the traction, but definitely wanted to get at least half a dozen new shacks in the book.
I left the 323 at Huyton.

Just to prove to 47403 that it does exist:
EMU 323225_2018.11.02_Huyton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I'd bailed here as I knew there would be a short wait for another service that I hoped would be a 319.
It was.
Sadly, it wasn't a requirement.
However, as I was leaving Huyton I spotted one going to Wigan that was at the very top of my wants list.
A couple of 319/3s hadn't initially been allocated to Northern and had gone into store; this was a problem for me as I needed one of them.
I had resigned myself to never clearing the sub-class, so I was overjoyed when the ongoing 769 saga saw both of the stored ones added, possibly temporarily, to the fleet.
The one I wanted had just passed me, so a plan could be made.

319377 left me behind at Ed Sheeran, sorry, he seems to be everywhere these days, Edge Hill.
Here I had a wait of thirteen minutes, plenty of time to have a look at the historic station buildings.
Unsurprisingly, it was 319377 that reappeared to take me to Garswood, where I planned to meet my winner.

319372 is still in, unbranded, Thameslink livery although that had little impact on my pleasure at getting it in the book.
This left two members of the sub-class, plus a single mileage requirement, to clear.
372 went straight into the ten mile club as I took it to Wavertree Technology Park.

EMU 319372_2018.11.02_2_Wavertree Technology Park by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Whilst on 319372 I spotted one of the other two 319/3s I needed, so concocted a plan.
Another winner was next, this time of the 319/4 variety.
319442 was only taken to Huyton as it was off to Warrington and that was as far as I could go on it.
Under ten miles but I'd worked out I could have it again later and if my calculations were wrong at least it was in the book.
319372 then reappeared to give me a lift to Eccleston Park.
319385 duly arrived, leaving me 319384 to get.

EMU 319385_2018.11.02_2_Eccleston Park by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I'd not forgotten the shack scratching, so I elected to leave 385 at Broad Green and wait for it coming back in order to get it over ten miles.
Broad Green proved quite productive as I managed to get a photo, albeit a poor one as I didn't have time to get into a decent position, of 60095, newly painted in GBRF livery.
I had a wait of less than half an hour, which is just as well as I had a mooch around outside and it's not in the most scenic of locations.
I was outside, enjoying the view of the nearby flyover, when I happened to see the 60 approaching - I just had time to rush onto the platform and get an almost head on view, in shadow, but it'll have to do.
From the front, the orange gives it a kind of LoadHaul look.

60095_2018.11.02_Broad Green by Phil Wood, on Flickr

When 319385 arrived I got back on board and took it to Thatto Heath.
If I'd been a bit quicker between the platforms I could have had another run on 319372 and roped in an extra station.
As it was I had half an hour to explore the local area.
An abandoned police station was the highlight, although some of the smells coming from the local take-aways were very nice and got my stomach rumbling.

Dud for the day 319377 was my ride to my eighth and final new station of the move, Roby.
Remember low mileage winner from earlier 319442?
Using RTT I'd worked out that it should be doing the 15.28 Liverpool to Crewe.
This would get the mileage up and get me back to Manchester for a TPE home.
It began positively enough, with the right unit turning up and whisking its passengers as far as Ordsall Lane Junction.
It arrived there four minutes late.
Manchester Oxford Road was reached twenty-four minutes down.
My plan was to bail at Oxford Road for a Newcastle bound TPE.
This would also give my first run Northbound round the Ordsall curve.
Obviously, I'd missed it, so elected to stay on the 319 and go for the 17.00 Leeds from Piccadilly.
Assuming we actually got to Picc in time!

We were sat in platform 2, with the doors open, as a couple of services, a 185 and a 350/4, both airport bound, were allowed through ahead of us.
This proved to be fortuitous as I heard the announcement that the train I though had long gone was also delayed and was now just arriving.
I grabbed my bag, leapt off the 319, wound my way through the massed commuters and boarded 185125.

This service was busy, but not as bad as I expected and I actually managed to get a seat.

The day finished with 150222 to Low Moor and the car.

Three new haulages, including the one I really wanted, all for over ten miles.
Add on the eight new stations and I can safely say I was pleased with my use of the freebie.

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
Anything >zero is a good result when it's free... Eleven new lines in the book is even better!

The_Train

Established Member
A good outing to the North West particularly as it was part of a freebie. I wonder if you were the only one to actually complete the survey? Suppose it goes to show that sometimes it is worth those few minutes completing these online surveys as I am one of those people who ignores them because of an assumption that there is actually no prize ever given out

Skymonster

Established Member
I got so used to seeing - and sometimes riding - the 319s on the southern section of the MML that it confuses the heck out of me to see many of them infesting the northwest now.

Established Member
Cheers for the photographic evidence that 323225 is fit n well, not that I'll see it anytime this year.
An excellent trip out, for a relatively inexpensive day, which, especially as a Yorkshireman, I'm sure, will be greatly appreciated.

Established Member
It has been nearly a month since my last confession, but I haven't been rail-less during that time.

Firstly, Mrs 13 and I paid a visit to Manchester on Sunday the 4th of November.
The reason for this was we wanted to view the memorial poppy display "The Wave" that has been touring the country and was at the Imperial War Museum North.
A visit to the museum itself was an interesting, if sobering, experience.

To get there we drove to Huddersfield and took 185107 to Manchester Victoria.
Tram 3117 then gave us a lift to Cornbrook before winning 3009, paired with 3011, took us on to MediaCityUK.

Manchester Tram 3011_2018.11.04_1_MediaCityUK_& 3009 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

It was the same pair that we had back to Cornbrook after the museum.
3116 was my last new one of the day, back to Victoria.
185104 took us back to Huddersfield and the car.

Around this time every year some of us have a trip to London.
This year our numbers were depleted as one lad can't do such a long trip for health reasons, so we are going local in December.
A couple of us, however, decided we didn't want to miss out on our usual activity, so on Saturday the 17th we drove down to Solihull for a bit of Cat action.
68013 propelled us to Marylebone.
Once in London we upped our culture intake by visiting the nearby Wallace Collection before adjourning to The Metropolitan for a mixed grill.
68008 provided us with the entertainment back to Solihull, with a relatively easy drive home following.

68008_2018.11.17_2_Solihull by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Now to a gripe.
I was hoping to be writing a report on all the shacks I'd visited on the Blaenau line, but it was not to be.
Mrs 13 and I have just had a fabulous holiday in a Landmark trust house near Betws-Y-Coed.
Plenty of hill walking and nights in by the fire, it was great.
However, Landmark Trust has a policy of no TV, phone or Wi-Fi so in an area with very poor mobile coverage you are literally cut off from any news.
Thus, I was unaware that a third of Welsh DMUs were out of action and an emergency timetable was in place.
This new timetable meant no trains down to Blaenau until further notice.

One morning we decided to visit Blaenau.
We drove into Betws, parked up and strolled onto the station.
About thirty other people were already there.
The PIS showed the next arrival as the 11.08 to Blaenau, which, it boldly claimed, was on time.
At 11.04 there was an announcement, "The next train to arrive at this platform is the 11.08 to Blanaeu Ffestiniog, calling at....."etc, etc.
The same message was repeated at 11.07.
11.08 came and went.
The 11.08 disappeared from the PIS and was replaced by the next booked working to Llandudno.
Hmm.
At this point I looked at my phone, for reception is good in town.
After a bit of research I found out that all services were replaced by buses and had been for at least three days.
Now, I know the voluntary isolation we had put ourselves in meant I couldn't get any gen, but that's not the issue.
With the new approach having been in place for some time, I do think it's a bad show that the PIS didn't tell people it was a bus (which presumably left empty as everyone, including us, was still stood on the platform looking bewildered).
Similarly, why no verbal announcements?
A notice at the station entrance would have done the trick.
In a nutshell, there were no trains for me all week, although we did see a Great Spotted Woodpecker, which made up for it :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a good couple trips, other than the farce with the Conwy Valley (which seems to be one of the first to get the chop)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Shame about the Conwy line, but what a lovely place to have a holiday.
I saw my first ever woodpecker last year at a friends place on Exmoor.
I don’t know much about birds really but I do get excited if something unusual is pointed out to me.
Hm. Er yes trains. Some nice trips over the last couple of months. I’m a bit behind with reading about it all...

Established Member
Once again I've found myself snowed under and not managed to visit the forum recently.

I have done a move since returning from Wales, though.
With the end of November approaching my shack scores for the year stood at 181, leaving me 19 to reach my 2018 target of 200.
Where could I go to get a hatful of new ones?
It had to be Manchester Metrolink.
I needed all the stops between Rochdale and Manchester Victoria with the exception of Hollinwood, so the chance to get within a whisker of the 200 was there for the taking.

The day began with 158758 taking me from Low Moor to Halifax, from where I went to Rochdale on mixed pair 142070 and 158909.

Once I'd purchased my tram only day ticket I began with winner 3091 from shack number one, Rochdale Railway Station, to number 2, Rochdale Town Centre.

The day then unfolded thusly:
3091 Rochdale Town Centre - Oldham Central
/3064 Oldham Central - Newbold
3117/3085 Newbold - Newhey
3056 Newhey - Kingsway Business Park
3065/3071 Kingsway Business Park - Oldham King Street
Oldham King Street - Shaw & Crompton
3081 Shaw & Crompton - Milnrow
Milnrow - Monsall
3085/3117 Monsall - Newton Heath & Moston
3091 Newton Heath & Moston - Central Park
3099/3064 Central Park - South Chadderton
South Chadderton - Failsworth
3071/3065 Failsworth - Westwood
3117/3085 Westwood - Freehold
Freehold - Derker
3065/3071 Derker - Oldham Mumps
Oldham Mumps - Rochdale Railway Station

So that was 18 new shacks in the bag, with Rochdale to Victoria cleared.

I made my way by using three different 158s; 859, 860 and 909 - the latter for the second time today.

Keen mathematicians will have noted that this move left me one short of my target.
I resolved to sort that issue out but I didn't have much available time.
Friday the 4th of December was the only day I had free to do a move on, so all I had to do was plan a move.
My original plan was to go for more tram stops, but as soon as I stepped outside the house I binned that idea; it was proper brass monkey weather.
Instead I decided to go for my nearest required NR station.

A pair of 153s began my move, with 153363/304 taking me for the five miles to Halifax.
158850 was next, to Hebden Bridge.
I had opted to go to my new station via Todmorden.
I could have made my way there direct from Hebden but I realised that would just leave me freezing on the platform for an extra twenty minutes.
Nevertheless, I got off 158850 there in order to see what was on the following Leeds to Southport service.
This was formed of 142044 and 156460.
I took the pair to Tod and headed to the other platform where I had a ten minute wait for ex Great Western 150108, which was paired with 150114.
The pair of Sprinters then took me to station score number 200 for the year, Burnley Manchester Road.

With my goal achieved it only remained for me to get home and thaw out.
I elected to have two short waits rather than a single longer one so did 158758 to Hebden, followed a few minutes later by 156491 to Halifax (as an aside, I'm enjoying the re-emergence of 156s on this route).

My last train of the day was formed of a single 153, which was nice.
At least I only had a short run on 153380.
I was back in the warmth by 12.00.

So that's it for this year.
My targets for both new haulages and new shacks had been met and some good fun was had along the way.
I'm now planning moves for early 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.