• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

55013's Contemporary Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
A productive time around Yorkshire. Looking forward to my first venture to the ECML next week

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a jolly jaunt and a reminder to me that once I move back down to Yorkshire in a few weeks, I need to get back on ticking off those 90s.

Established Member
Down to five now.
91108 was roped in this morning, making it the 26th 91 to pass the thousand mile mark :)

Established Member
Yesterday saw 45135 and I make our annual pilgrimage to the GCR for their diesel gala.
Sadly, the booked GBRf 66 was pulled at the last minute as one couldn't be made available, so no red pen action.
Plenty of other stuff to enjoy, though.

We made our way by car to Quorn & Woodhouse station and began the day with a loco that's always on my radar when I'm visiting the line, 25035.
We took the beastly rat to Leicester North, then all the way back to Loughborough.

25035_2018.09.08_3_Loughborough by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Next up was 47117, looking excellent in its gleaming new coat of BR blue paint.
We did this as far as Quorn.

47117 waiting to leave Loughborough on the demonstration TPO later in the day:
47117_2018.09.08_4_Loughborough by Phil Wood, on Flickr

An absolute monster took us back to Loughborough.
This was Warship D832.
We wanted a longer run on it but would have to bide our time.

Visiting Deltic 55019 couldn't be missed and it wasn't.
A full line round trip was enjoyed behind RHF.

At rest later:
55019_2018.09.08_3_Loughborough by Phil Wood, on Flickr

31463 was next, on the "flyer" to Rothley Brook.
Once at the appropriate point we stopped and 47117 came out of the siding and dropped on the back.
The Brush 4 then hauled us back to Rothley, with the 31 taking its place in the yard (47117 having done the previous Brook service).

It was now time for some more class 42 action.

Even during a diesel gala, the GCR run their lucrative, steam-hauled "Cromwell" diner and the Warship had to wait time at Rothley until this came off the single line section.
This gave time for a few shots of D832 from a different angle.

42 D832_2018.09.08_4_Rothley by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Once the steam service came in we were on our way.
As an aside, I do find it odd that the railway named their premium service after a man who literally banned fun, not to mention fancy food.
Anyway Onslaught was thoroughly enjoyed to Leicester, back to Loughborough and then finally to Quorn.

A last run behind 25035 was partaken of, back to Loughborough before we finished with a run to Leicester and back to Quorn behind 37714.

37714_2018.09.08_6_Leicester North by Phil Wood, on Flickr

After that it was merely a case of driving home, with another good day in the bag.

The_Train

Established Member
A good day out there 55013. I'd considered making this my first ever gala but in the end decided on the Doncaster trip. Definitely a gala to consider for next year though

noddy1878

Established Member
Sounded like a good day out. I've not been to the GCR so must try and get there at some point. Bad luck on the 66.

Skymonster

Established Member
Seems like you had a good day out Mr. Black Watch... I enjoyed it too, although I didn't think the Warship or the Deltic were driven particularly spiritedly.

Whenever I see a Warship, I am reminded of this clip:

Established Member
Thanks chaps.
Skymonster - I know where you're coming from with the more powerful machines; I think type 2s are perfect for heritage lines, anything above that is going to be driven well within its limits.
Also, I guess owners don't want their precious machines being driven too wildly; understandably.
Personally I find the Warships quite attractive locos; I prefer curves to sharper angles.

Established Member
Mrs 13 and I have just enjoyed a fabulous couple of weeks in Scotland.
Happily, there was plenty of railway action which I will now start to relate.

The first week was spent at a caravan park we like, just over the boarder at Eyemouth.
We drove up on Saturday the 15th.
Unfortunately, in the days leading up to our break my wife developed a nasty cold.
After enduring a lengthy drive, she was shattered and fancied a day resting at the campsite.
Thus, I unexpectedly found myself driving back to England, specifically Berwick, on Sunday morning.

I arrived at the station just before 10am; I was heading to Edinburgh and, as per normal, I was hoping for a low mileage 91.
With only five locos now falling into that category I wasn’t too surprised when I failed to get one.
It was 91103 that took me almost 60 miles to the Scottish capital.

As usual, we had planned for a day doing our thing and I had one station at the top of my list for that day.
This was a bonus day out, so it made sense to get that place out of the way.

When we had last visited the area, twelve months ago, I had visited all the stations on the Tweedbank line bar one.
Now was the ideal opportunity to finish the line off (until they build the much talked about extension).

I purchased a ticket and strolled down to view my train.
158701 was the rear of a four-car set.
The good news was that the front unit had a required coach; the not so good news was that it was 158869, which is due to come to Northern in the near future and will probably feature on my workday commutes.
Oh well, at least it’s cleared now.

The pair of 158s were taking to my winning station, Shawfair.

DMU 158701_2018.09.16_1_Shawfair_& 158869 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I hadn’t managed his last time as the hourly services are due to pass each other here and I didn’t have the time to risk it on my previous visit to the line.
No such worries today, which was just as well; 158715 arrived at the same time as I did.
I did see that it was wedged, so wasn’t too bothered, especially as the weather was quite nice.
Nice weather or not, I was ready to leave an hour later; luckily it was a train with slightly more capacity than a single 158 – 170414, that took me back to Waverley.

I’d promised to be back at the caravan by 4pm so I had time to get another station or two in.
First of all, it was to South Gyle on low mileage 170393.

A look at the timetable revealed the opportunity for a further score, so 170393 was followed by 158730 to Edinburgh Gateway.

DMU 158730_2018.09.16_2_Edinburgh Gateway by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I then returned to Berwick using 170394 to South Gyle, 170426 and 91104.

DMU 170426_2018.09.16_2_South Gyle by Phil Wood, on Flickr

As promised, I was home with our tea by 4pm, to find my wife much improved by her rest.

Established Member
Thanks - that was just the start.

The following day we had a trip planned that involved two of our favourite activities – a boat ride and a visit to an historical building.
It also involved an activity that I’m particularly keen on :)

The Leeds – Aberdeen HST was used to get us from Berwick to Edinburgh, with power cars 43317 & 43296 providing the power.
From Edinburgh it was to new shack Dalmeny on 158726.

DMU 158726_2018.09.17_4_Dalmeny by Phil Wood, on Flickr

So far, so railway orientated.

Now it was time for us to walk to Hawes Pier, which sits in the shadow of the mighty Forth Bridge.
We now enjoyed a trip out into the Firth aboard the Maid of the Forth.
A very different view of the bridge to normal was experienced before we reached our destination, Inchcolm Island.

DSC00991 by Ruth Wood, on Flickr

DSC00984 by Ruth Wood, on Flickr

Inchcolm Island is home to Inchcolm Abbey, which dates from the twelfth Century.

A very enjoyable couple of hours were spent exploring the abbey and the rest of the island before the boat returned to take us for a jaunt on the water.

This included the obligatory seal spotting :)

DSC01017 by Ruth Wood, on Flickr

This time we went under all three bridges and observed the aircraft carrier HMS Prince Of Wales at its berth.

After our boat trip we returned home, first with a somewhat taxing walk to Dalmeny station, then low mileage 158711 to Waverley before finishing with 221126 back to Berwick.

Established Member
Mrs 13 was still feeling a bit ropey from her cold, so she decreed that Tuesday should be the day we do our own thing.
No prizes for guessing what I did :)

Another not-low mileage 91, 91132, began the day.
Today was going to be a day of two halves.
First on the agenda a bit of shack scratching, with the afternoon being turned over to chasing traction.
Once at Waverley I went and purchased my “Edinburgh Days Out” ticket – valid for two days but I reckon that, at £18.50, using it for one day can be good value if you get the moves in.

First up was mileage requirement 158709, which took me to station score number one, Burntisland.

DMU 158709_2018.09.18_1_Burntisland by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Having got a station that sits at one end of the bridge yesterday, today it was the turn of the one at the other side, North Queensferry.
I made my way there on 158739.

170420 was next.
My only previous experience of this had been a Haymarket leap; the run from North Queensferry to Dalgety Bay, at 3 miles 29 chains, meant it remains under ten miles.
Soon to be working out of Leeds, 170458 followed, to Haymarket.

There remained one station between Edinburgh and Burntisland that I required, but that’s adjacent to a castle, so was in the pipeline for later in the week.

Now it was time to go after EMUs on Glasgow Queen Street services, something that was impossible on my previous visit to the area.
I was particularly interested in 365s; of the ten that have made their way North of the border there were two I needed outright.
One of the others was low mileage, so I would keep my eyes peeled for that as well.

I was prepared for a bit of a fester at Haymarket, but I didn’t have one.
As I descended the stairs I observed a 365 arriving.
I was pleased to see that it was required 365521.
My first winning traction of the week was working with 365517 and I took the pair into Waverley, then out to Falkirk High.

EMU 365521_2018.09.18_2_Falkirk High by Phil Wood, on Flickr

It appeared my luck was in; en route to Falkirk I’d seen my other requirement on the Glasgow end of a service to Edinburgh.
I didn’t hang about at Falkirk, taking double duds 365523 & 365525 straight back to Haymarket.
Here I should have had a couple of minutes, plenty of time for me to make a rapid platform transfer.
Unfortunately, the train I was on got held outside the station and we pulled in three minutes late.
My 365 was just pulling into the other platform as I arrived.
I tried, but failed, to make it over.
Bah.
Still, it’ll come back.

Instead of a winner I settled for mileage requirement 380111, working with 380016, into Waverley thence to Falkirk.
I intended to wait here for my 365.
That plan changed when the service before it rolled in worked by a couple of 385s – a winning class.
385122 & 385003 were the units in question.
Happily, the brakes worked and we stopped in a bay platform at Edinburgh as booked :)

EMU 385003_2018.09.18_1_Edinburgh by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Having experienced other new classes, such as 387 and 700, recently I have to say that these seem much of a muchness to me
In order to ride in both units, I simply changed from one to the other and rode them out to Haymarket.

The next Waverley bound service should be my wanted unit.
I hoped that, as with my earlier service, it would be delayed and I’d make it at Haymarket.
No such luck.
Mind you, the fifteen-minute wait wasn’t the lengthiest I’ve ever had.
It was 365509 that I’d been chasing and I was most relieved to finally board it.

EMU 365509_2018.09.18_Haymarket by Phil Wood, on Flickr

365519 was on the rear.
Naturally, I took them to Falkirk High (the limit of the ticket).

Nine of the ten were now in the 10-mile club, could I get membership for the other one.
Why, yes, I could.
After getting off 365509 I crossed to the other platform and almost immediately boarded 365533.
Its partner was 365537.
The one and only time I’d had 365533 previously had been from Finsbury Park to Kings Cross three years ago.
I never dreamed at that time that I’d have it, or any 365, into Edinburgh.

All that remained now was to get back to Berwick.
Unfortunately, it isn’t blessed with the best service in the world.
The next 91 working didn’t stop there so I was forced to take 220012.
At least it was a mileage requirement.

The end of a very enjoyable and productive day.

The_Train

Established Member
Some good and more importantly productive days around Scotland there Mr 013.

alexf380

Established Member
A very good day for you Mr.13, and the Days out ticket really is quite good value even for just one day. Congrats on clearing the McNetworkers, too!

Established Member
Thanks chaps.
I'm not done yet, though.

No trains featured for the next couple of days as we stayed local, doing plenty of walking, including the 8-mile clifftop walk that we’d so enjoyed last year and was the main reason for coming back to the area this time.

Friday the 21st saw us visiting Linlithgow Palace.
Luckily, this wonderful place is a short walk from the railway station.
We began by doing 43315/43312 from Berwick to Edinburgh.
Winner from Tuesday 365521, now working with 365513, took us to Linlithgow.

EMU 365513_2018.09.21_2_Linlithgow by Phil Wood, on Flickr

A few hours were enjoyed exploring the birthplace of 37401, sorry, Mary Queen of Scots and the adjacent church – highlights for us being a leper’s squint and a mortsafe.
After that we returned to Edinburgh, once more on 365513/365521, to find it in chaos.

The ECML was suffering disruption due to storm related issues.
Trains were cancelled, re-platformed and/or heavily delayed.
Nobody, including the station staff, knew what was happening.
Wanting a Berwick stopper meant we couldn’t just leap on the first 91 to depart, which changed on the PIS between a service which did stop and one that didn’t, then back again!
The staff just said it was for London and to get on.
We didn’t fancy going to Newcastle today, so elected to wait around for something a bit more assured.

Eventually we got a definite Berwick stopper – worked by 91130; not a mileage requirement but neither of us cared by this time.

Saturday was the day we left the site at Eyemouth.
We weren’t going home, though.
A second week still awaited us, this time in Ayrshire.
Not wanting to arrive early we planned to break our journey and visit a castle.

My plan was to drive to the park and ride station at Wallyford.
This was achieved without much fuss, however as we approached I spotted a stationary 66 and a rake of yellow wagons.
Sure enough, the Northern part of the ECML was closed for engineering work.

I took a quick snap of 66027 and we returned to the car.

As a frequent user of rail I’m well aware of the need to have a plan B :)
In this case my alternative idea was Ingliston Park & Ride for some tram action.

This was reached and my first Edinburgh tram for about three years was duly caught.

It was winner 267 that took us to Edinburgh Gateway (Tram), which was nice.

Edinburgh Tram 267_2018.09.22_2_Edinburgh Gateway by Phil Wood, on Flickr

We had time to visit the nearby Morrisons for a cup of tea before catching 158731 to Aberdour.

DMU 158731_2018.09.22_2_Aberdour by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Here we walked round to Aberdour Castle, a splendid place to visit, with the oldest parts dating from the 12th century.
The highlight for us this time being the famous 17th century painted ceiling – lovely.
After a splendid time we left the castle and did the short walk back to the station.

Dud for the week 158709 took us back to Edinburgh Gateway.
Tram 252 did the deed back to Ingliston from where we drove to our next campsite at Stevenston.

Skymonster

Established Member
Seems like it's been a good time in jock-land, but Mr. Black Watch is getting away with far more trains than I would!

Established Member
I'm lucky that my wife isn't averse to train trips and leaves the planning of days out to me :)
As long as there's plenty of stuff that she enjoys (castles, museums, seaside, etc) then she's happy.
If she thought I was taking the proverbial she wouldn't be happy; the fact is that I spend a lot of time looking for moves, such as those above, which satisfy us both.
We've got a very good balance :)

Established Member
It was :)
Now on with week two.

Handily, the Sandylands campsite sits right next to a railway, with a station within easy walking distance of either end.

Sunday the 23rd saw us staying local, although it proved very productive for me :)

We began by walking down to the beach and then along the seafront until we came to Saltcoats.
Here we explored the harbour area before making our way into the town centre and the railway station.
Winner 380017 took us from Saltcoats to Ardrossan Town.
Here we did some more exploring before finishing up in a nice little eatery at the harbour.
After a cup of tea and a cake we walked across the road to Ardrossan Harbour where we met up once more with 380017.

This time we did it to Ardrossan South Beach.
We went for a stroll along the promenade before returning to South Beach station and, yet again, 380017 – now paired with 380009.

EMU 380017_2018.09.23_7_Ardrossan South Beach_& 380009 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

This was taken to the harbour where we had a while to visit the local Asda for a bit of shopping.
This was followed by a gentle stroll to Town station and a final meeting with 380009/380017.
We took them back to Saltcoats before walking the rest of the way along the seafront.
A very good day; my wife got the seaside she enjoys so much, we did a fair bit of walking, I got a few winners and we did our shopping :)

Monday saw us visiting the Kelvingrove museum and art gallery.
To get there we started by doing the short walk to Stevenston station and, would you believe it, 380017, to Glasgow Central.
After having it for four short hops yesterday at least this meant it was now in the ten-mile club.

Kelvingrove museum is situated on the edge of Kelvingrove Park and the best rail-centred way to visit it is by using the Glasgow Subway.
We walked from Central to Buchanan Street subway station.
I’ve done the Glasgow Subway a few times and quite like it.
It has quite an old feel to it, which gives it a certain charm.
It’ll be interesting to see if it loses that when the new rolling stock arrives next year.
Anyway, we went from Buchanan Street to Kelvinbridge on 128 before enjoying a stroll through the park and a very good museum.

Glasgow Subway 128_2018.09.24_2_Kelvinbridge by Phil Wood, on Flickr

A few hours later we retraced our steps to Kelvinbridge subway station and took 203 back to Buchanan Street.
Stevenston was reached curtesy of winner 380012.

The_Train

Established Member
Some nice trips out, Mrs 013 happy and a few nice winners for you. Pretty perfect couple of days there

Established Member
The next day was the day we were doing our own thing.
Mrs 13 fancied looking round the local shops, whereas I didn’t :)

Before leaving home I’d decided to purchase some Strathclyde Daytripper scratch cards.
I knew that I’d use one for my day out and figured that my wife and I could use one each if we fancied a day doing a few trips, otherwise I’d be forced to return to Glasgow in future to use my supply up.
That wouldn’t be a great hardship.

The ticket becomes valid at 09.00 but I was up and out of the caravan, leaving Mrs 13 asleep in bed, much earlier than that.
I had time to get an early morning shack scratch in.
The walk to Stevenston station took about fifteen minutes and it wasn’t long before I was on the first train of my day.
Nice winner 380011 was my ride to West Kilbride.

EMU 380011_2018.09.25_1_West Kilbride by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Much to my relief I left the train just as thousands of schoolkids piled on board.
I had thought about getting the other station I required on the Largs branch (Fairlie) but decided to go for that later.
Definitely the right decision.
The morning was nice, bright and dry, which influenced my choice about having the longer wait now rather than later.

Half an hour after getting off 380011, I once more boarded it, this time back to Stevenston.
Stevenston was reached at 08.55.
I didn’t want to pay more to go to the next stop with my rover valid five minutes later.

Mileage requirement 380109 was the first unit that arrived after the validity kicked in.
I took this to Johnstone.
380003 was next, into Glasgow Central.

At this stage there were only six class 314s that were members of the ten-mile club, one of the other twelve I’d only had for a single run, from Queens Park to Mount Florida.
As this was less than one mile, it was my priority.

My chase didn’t start well; the first four units out of Central were all from the six I didn’t want (and one of the other two, 314213, had just been withdrawn!).

Eventually, one that was on nine and a bit miles produced.
This was 314210.
In addition to the units I was hoping to get I needed two stations on the Cathcart Circle proper.
With 314210 only needing a shove to get it over the ten-mile line it made sense to leave it at Maxwell Park.

As I was leaving Central I spotted my sub-mile unit going in.
RTT was consulted and I worked out a plan.
If I’d identified the right incoming service, its next working should be the first anti-clockwise after 314210.
This meant I had time to do dud for everything 314208 from Maxwell Park back as far as Pollokshields West.
I’d got it right and 314214 arrived as hoped.

In order to get it over ten miles I took it all the way round to Glasgow Central, then on a clockwise run to Shawlands.

EMU 314214_2018.09.25_3_Shawlands by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Another low mileage PEP had been observed, working Neilston services, so I decided that this should be my next target.
Not on the list, but needed to be done to get into position, 314209 took me from Shawlands to Cathcart.
The unit I was hoping for, 314203, turned up and off I went back to Central.

It was still a couple of miles short and I needed two stations on the Neilston line, so I took it back out to Williamwood.

After a short wait I was surprised to see my ride back to Central would be on 320404.
I didn’t even know this unit had entered service.

It has, though:
EMU 320404_2018.09.25_Williamwood by Phil Wood, on Flickr

The run to Glasgow is little more than five and a half miles, but I figured the 320 had a greater life expectancy than the 314s so decided against getting it into the club.
I now had nine 314s over ten miles.
None of the ones I seen so far on Cathcart line services fitted the bill, but I had spotted one earlier working to Gourock.
I had some time before it returned from the seaside, so took 380005 to Hillington East for dud from this morning 380003 back.

EMU 380003_2018.09.25_1_Hillington East by Phil Wood, on Flickr

The same 380 was then utilised to get me to Cardonald where I hoped to pick up my wanted 314.
Sure enough, 314215 rolled in a couple of minutes late and I was off back to Glasgow Central.

It was now time to start my journey home.
Mileage requirement 380101 was on an Ayr service, so was taken to Johnstone.

Dud 380108 was next.
This was an Ardrossan service, so I did it to Saltcoats.
Here I had about half an hour before the next Largs service, which I planned on using to get me to the last required station on that line.

It was dud from this morning 380011 that appeared and the run to Fairlie went without incident.
Fourteen minutes after getting off 380011 I re-boarded it for the last time today.
Arrival at Stevenston was at 17.10, the fifteen-minute walk back to the caravan meaning that I arrived at the agreed time.

Last edited:

Established Member
The next day saw us visiting Pollok House.
Situated in Pollok Country Park, this too is co-incidentally nicely accessible by train ;).

380010, dud but under ten miles, started the day by taking us from Stevenston to Glasgow Central.
Now it was diesel power as unrequired 156434 provided us with a lift to Pollokshaws West.

DMU 156434_2018.09.26_Pollokshaws West by Phil Wood, on Flickr

After an enjoyable few hours looking round the house and park it was back to the station and 156506 to Central.
Nice winner 380006 was our chariot back to Stevenston, going straight into the ten-mile club en route.

EMU 380006_2018.09.26_Stevenston by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Not a bad day out :)

Last edited:

Established Member
Just catching up here again, sounded like a great day out on the GCR, 25035 is a bit of thrashy minx to say the least. Well jealous of them moves, 47117 looks immaculate too. I've still to sample a Warship and 37716, looks resplendent too, I like the 2 tone grey livery.
Some good moves in Scotland too. I have to admit, I laughed out loud at the, I didn't want to pay more to the next stop, for the sake of your Rover kicking in 5 minutes later, talk about living up to the Yorkshire stereotype of being tight;).
Great reads and photos again. I look forward to the next installment.

Established Member
Thursday the 27 was my birthday and we were going out for a meal in the evening.
Nevertheless, some sightseeing could still be done.

As had become our habit this week, we began by walking to Stevenston and catching a Glasgow bound service.
My birthday present was winner 380019.

We weren’t going into Glasgow this time, so we left the 380 at Paisley Gilmour Street.
380010 then took us to Port Glasgow.

Here we had another castle in our sights.
This was the wonderful Newark Castle and we greatly enjoyed our time there.
Sadly, we were the only two people in the whole building, except for the lady on the admission desk.

Once we left there we had a bit of time so decided a run to the seaside was in order.
380002 provided traction for the five miles to Gourock.
Here we had a sea front stroll and visited a café for a cup of tea and a cake.
My wife loved Gourock and we resolved to visit it again before the holiday was over.

We left Gourock on 380116, which we took as far as Port Glasgow as we’d spotted a large Tesco and needed some supplies.
My wife waited at the station whilst I made my way to the supermarket and back.
It was a lucky break as, not only did I get the stuff we wanted, I got another winner.

EMU 380115_2018.09.27_3_Port Glasgow by Phil Wood, on Flickr

380115 took us to Paisley before our trip finished with low mileage 380018 back to Stevenston.
We then dolled ourselves up for an evening visit to Ayrshire’s only Michelin starred restaurant, Braidwoods, which luckily is only ten miles or so from Stevenston.

We’re not people who routinely eat in fancy restaurants, but this was my birthday and we had long thought about trying such a place.
The food was fantastic, I must say.

The next day was our last and we decided to make use of the Strathclyde Daytrippers.
There was one station we both fancied visiting as it is reportedly one of the most attractive stations in the country.
As usual, we began by walking to Stevenston.
380009 soon arrived and we were on our way once more.

We took the 380 to Paisley Gilmour Street.
We were waiting for our train when a requirement, going in the same direction and stopping at a convenient location, arrived.
Thus, we once more found ourselves at Port Glasgow when we left 380110.
Another winner followed, 380002, which took us to Wemyss Bay.
We enjoyed looking at the station building but it isn’t very big and we’d soon seen everything there was to see.

EMU 380002_2018.09.28_3_Wemyss Bay by Phil Wood, on Flickr

My wife told me that she preferred Gourock and wanted to visit it again.
No problem, although I proposed visiting an odd little station first and she agreed.

We left Wemyss Bay sooner than expected, in fact we managed to get back on 380002.
This was taken to IBM.
Mrs 13 found this an interesting place and immediately headed down the footpath to see what was about.
Although signs there state that nobody should disembark unless they have business with IBM, she encountered a security guard who showed no interest in our presence.
In fact, on the site of the factory (now just the foundations) there was a bloke flying a model aeroplane.

380015, my last winner of the holiday, arrived to whisk us away from IBM.
We took this as far as Inverkip.
We waited around for a bit before 380015 came back and we were on our way.

Obviously, we could have bailed at Port Glasgow, but I’d spotted another shack-scratching move that would have the benefit of giving us a shorter wait.
This was Bishopton.

Nice low mileage 314201 then took us to Gourock, joining the ten-mile club en route.

EMU 314201_2018.09.28_3_Gourock by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Once again, we enjoyed a seafront walk and a visit to a café, this time one with a fabulous view over the Firth of Clyde.
After enjoying our time in Gourock we returned to the station and a run on another low mileage 314.
314216 became my twelfth member of the class to make it past ten miles, doubling what I’d got at the start of the week.

Could this be my last run on a 314?
314201 can be seen in the other platform:
EMU 314216_2018.09.28_Paisley Gilmour Street by Phil Wood, on Flickr

The PEP was taken to Paisley where we changed onto 380115 for the run back to Stevenston.

And that was that; a very productive holiday with twenty winning haulages, a similar number joining the ten-mile club, no less than thirty new stations visited, several castles and museums visited, many miles walked, a very flash meal, a ride on a boat and some seals observed.
We both agreed it had been a great break.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.