• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

nom de guerre

I did 10 years at HMP Lincoln, and believe me, I already consider it a trade up.

Some of our ex-Prison service guys' 'war stories' are rather... eye-opening, to say the least.

What type of box are you going to? Crossing boxes - especially locations with manual gates - bring a high probability of customer 'interaction', but if you're going to a larger box the only abuse you're likely to receive is colleagues' 'feedback' over your tea-making.

Carriageline, I'm in the same part of the country as you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Charl1e2

Hi

External candidate as well.

Just received confirmation for assessment centre at the end of September.
Applied for a grade 8 at Doncaster .

Whereabouts is your assessment? Have an assessment for this next week and had assumed there would only be 1 assessment day. Though it did say "multiple positions.

Sooty123

Whereabouts is your assessment? Have an assessment for this next week and had assumed there would only be 1 assessment day. Though it did say "multiple positions.

Hi

Mine is at Manchester at the end of September
Guess there will be a number of people going for the same position so no doubt numerous assessment days.

Tomnick

Established Member
Hi, I'm going to be in a Grade 3 box near Newark. Where are you?
Is that one of the ECML crossing boxes? Nice busy little jobs if so. Either that, or the one box on the Midland that'll remain after the next couple of months (didn't think that was a grade 3 though), which really is a delightful place.

Termy

I have three applications open at the moment. Cardiff (Grade 2, 12mth FTC), Crediton (near Exeter, Grade 3), and London Victoria (Grade 9). Of the three, Crediton and London Victoria are marked as "Application Under Consideration", and Cardiff is "Test Completed". Online SJT completed over a month ago now, so just waiting on in there for the results to come through.

Totally not on tenderhooks at all, nope. No siree. :)

TRain87

I have three applications open at the moment. Cardiff (Grade 2, 12mth FTC), Crediton (near Exeter, Grade 3), and London Victoria (Grade 9). Of the three, Crediton and London Victoria are marked as "Application Under Consideration", and Cardiff is "Test Completed". Online SJT completed over a month ago now, so just waiting on in there for the results to come through.

Totally not on tenderhooks at all, nope. No siree. :)

How soon after submitting your application did you hear back that you would be taking the test? I have 2 applications in, and both say application under consideration???

I know I'll be a nightmare in the later stages

Termy

How soon after submitting your application did you hear back that you would be taking the test? I have 2 applications in, and both say application under consideration???

I know I'll be a nightmare in the later stages

Heh, yeah. It does become a living dream, waiting for those emails to come in. I've started getting imaginary palpitations whenever I hear my mobile beep. :D

I've posted below the summary of the process I've been through so far:

Application Under Review 10-Jul-2016 20:44:29
Application Accepted 11-Jul-2016 07:05:32
Application Under Consideration 11-Jul-2016 14:20:36
Application Under Consideration 22-Jul-2016 09:47:59
Invited to Test 22-Jul-2016 12:10:27
Test Completed 22-Jul-2016 18:36:13
Test Completed 26-Jul-2016 13:44:21

So yeah, it's a longish process with no moving in August at all, hence why I'm on tenderhooks.

Good luck with your application! :)

LimeStSte

Are RDW and Sunday's paid at standard rate or an enhanced rate?
Sorry if it's already been covered a thousand times already

Sunset route

Does anybody know what Lancing signal box is like.. rota etc

One crossing keeper link (panel 3)

Signallers link (panels 1&2)

External GPR cover from Lewes Releif.

When i worked on the East Coastway many years ago we had a roster like this and i believe the West Coastway including Lancing either work this roster or something very similar.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat

wks 1&5 Off RD RD N N N N

wks 2&6 12N N N RD L L L

wks 3&7 Off L L L RD E E

wk 4 12D E E E E RD RD

wk 8 12D E E E RD RD RD

Off = Sunday Off
RD = Rest Day Off
E = 0600-1400
L = 1400-2200
N = 2200-0600
12D = 0600-1800
12N = 1800-0600

Some parts of Sussex work 8hr Sundays instead of 12Hrs.

Flipper62

Beginning of August

I applied on thursday last week, accepted on monday, online assesment was sent on monday afternoon and completed monday evening, received telephone call from Manchester on wednesday invitung me to assesment day at Derby (4hrs) next tuesday so it'll be 13 days from application to assesment for me. No idea how long for interview though if all goes well on tuesday.

Termy

I applied on thursday last week, accepted on monday, online assesment was sent on monday afternoon and completed monday evening, received telephone call from Manchester on wednesday invitung me to assesment day at Derby (4hrs) next tuesday so it'll be 13 days from application to assesment for me. No idea how long for interview though if all goes well on tuesday.

That is an unbelieveably fast turnaround.

Terry1989

Does anybody know the reason why a job is is advertised externally? Not enough applications from within? Or none at all? Recently applied for a post at Port Talbot as a Technician (signalling maintenance) ☺

minniemoo

Morning. I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times but can anyone give me a rough guide to pay at a grade 3 signaller.i have read that the advertised wage doesn't include shift pay and Sunday pay. Just wondering what the average take home would be without overtime .thanks in advance

nom de guerre

Current base salary is £29353, but once you factor in Sundays and night shift allowances you're looking at over £37K.

Welsh1

Hi all,

Anyone else on here waiting to hear regarding the West Midlands Signalling Centre interview?

10 jobs and 35 people interviewed...

Welsh1

I've had to charge my phone up three times as I keep draining the battery by checking it! lol

I assume you went for the same job Cagey? If so I hope the interview went well for yourself

Cagey

Cheers Welsh1, likewise for you dude. The interview went quite well I think, it's been a long time since I had a proper one! Still, managed to answer everything and came across alright I think.

They said they'd let me know via email, I'm on a rig in the North Sea at the moment and we keep loosing the internet signal... lol

Welsh1

Same here it was one of the better interviews I've had, I don't think I could have done anymore.

I'm my own worst enemy on times, the longer that passes the more I doubt myself.

I'm on edge at the moment anyway, couldn't imagine being in your position waiting for an email and not knowing if you'll have internet lol

I know that the interviewer is going away so he said we will defiantly know by the 15th.... Hopefully!