• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Hi,

I'm another one waiting to here about the WMSC.
They told me they would call to say either congrats or not this time and here's your feedback.

I went for the interview last Tuesday and he mentioned that HR had found 4 more candidates and he had to interview 1 of them due to the high score.

If he is going away on the 15th, today should be D-day then....hopefully!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welsh1

Hi,

I was told I'd have a phone call too, hasn't stopped me checking my emails and the network rail website every other hour lol

Has anyone gained any information regarding the job? Such as how many days they work before rest days and length of shifts 8/12 hours?

I have been searching but so far found very little.

I think it's a mix. He said it would be 8 hour shifts, but when I went down stairs into the control room for a 'jobview' I was with a couple of signalmen and 1 was on 8 hours and the other 12.

contrad!ction

I think it's a mix. He said it would be 8 hour shifts, but when I went down stairs into the control room for a 'jobview' I was with a couple of signalmen and 1 was on 8 hours and the other 12.

I'm not at WMSC (so don't quote me on this!) but I think they're on 8's (6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm & 10pm-6am) with a 12 hour day & night shift on Sundays.

That could well very depending on what link you're put in though (as suggested above some may do 12's)

TRain87

Hey all.

Took the SJT test today, after much worrying and practice! Now the long part, the waiting game. How is everyone getting on with their applications?

Quick tip....check your CV before you apply....I was rejected for a job as I sent a blank document as my CV.....rookie mistake!

Welsh1

Hi all,

Don't suppose anyone has heard regarding the WMSC?

No news is good news isn't it... ??????

TRain87

Afternoon

Had an email today from network rail stating that they had my SJT results and the PDF was named 'Test complete - Success'. I understand now it's a waiting game and top applicants are invited to assessment day. But what if I passed the test, but with a low mark - is it possible to find out score, and is it possible to re-sit the test?

Cheers

Last edited:

TomBoyd

Afternoon

Had an email today from network rail stating that they had my SJT results and the PDF was named 'Test complete - Success'. I understand now it's a waiting game and top applicants are invited to assessment day. But what if I passed the test, but with a low mark - is it possible to find out score, and is it possible to re-sit the test?

Cheers

Tony

The test stands, IIRC, for 6 months.

nom de guerre

Can anyone PM me a copy of the latest pay matrix, please?

Edit: Ta for the replies

Last edited:

flappy8

NR have asked me if I could move my arranged assessment forward to next week. from the beginning of October. It's not easy for me to do that work-wise. Will I be pushed down the pecking order if I say no to the short notice assessment?

TRain87

In your opinions.....how far is too far to travel, for a job? Have seen one advertised which will be around 80 minutes, from door to door - is this too far?

I already work shifts, so know the hazards of driving after a long night shift (currently doing 12 hour nights), just wondered what you all thought on the matter?

LimeStSte

Just been given my interview date for Ditton SB Grade 5, Widnes.
Does anyone know much about the workings for the box?

Llanigraham

On Moderation
In your opinions.....how far is too far to travel, for a job? Have seen one advertised which will be around 80 minutes, from door to door - is this too far?

I already work shifts, so know the hazards of driving after a long night shift (currently doing 12 hour nights), just wondered what you all thought on the matter?

I worked an hour from home, and after a 12 hour shift that was quite enough!!

I am told that an hour was the limit they would accept.

Sunset route

I worked an hour from home, and after a 12 hour shift that was quite enough!!

I am told that an hour was the limit they would accept.

Wasn't part of the core brief this time round all about railway worker (contractor) road traffic accidents either while at work or commuting to and from work and that tiredness and fatigue was one of the main reasons.

I know I have an an hour commute eather by train or car and that's about as much as I want especially when driving home off night shift into the rising sun even worse if the roads are wet as well with sun glare on the eyes.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Wasn't part of the core brief this time round all about railway worker (contractor) road traffic accidents either while at work or commuting to and from work and that tiredness and fatigue was one of the main reasons.

I know I have an an hour commute eather by train or car and that's about as much as I want especially when driving home off night shift into the rising sun even worse if the roads are wet as well with sun glare on the eyes.

Don't see the Briefs now (obviously) but a friend says that it was included and he has also been told that he "could" request relief if he thought he was too tired!

minniemoo

After reading through all the posts .firstlyou thanks to all the really useful information . There appears to be an abundance of knowledge on here.
I'm just trying to decide on a job offer but there are many variables and not being single one have to think about what's best for my family . The pay of a signaller still confesses me a bit. I get the basic pay scales but it's what extras you receive and when . I currently work shifts and we get a shift allowance on top of our pay and we get this even if we take annual leave ..is this the same with network rail or is it just the Sunday enhancements and night shift pay that you work and nothing when on leave .sorry if this has been asked many times ..I'm just trying to make the best informed decision . Ps have a good weekend everyone

ParDanMe

After reading through all the posts .firstlyou thanks to all the really useful information . There appears to be an abundance of knowledge on here.
I'm just trying to decide on a job offer but there are many variables and not being single one have to think about what's best for my family . The pay of a signaller still confesses me a bit. I get the basic pay scales but it's what extras you receive and when . I currently work shifts and we get a shift allowance on top of our pay and we get this even if we take annual leave ..is this the same with network rail or is it just the Sunday enhancements and night shift pay that you work and nothing when on leave .sorry if this has been asked many times ..I'm just trying to make the best informed decision . Ps have a good weekend everyone
As far as I'm aware most 12hr rosters for a residential location (Not relief) You are guaranteed two Sundays OT per 4 weeks, one night shift and one day. 18 hours paid at 1.5x and 6 hours paid at 1.25x (Monday 00:00 to 06:00). However your rostered Saturday night will also earn you 6 hours at 0.5x for the hours 00:00 to 06:00 which you work Sunday morning. Night premium based on hours worked 22:00 to 06:00 hours is paid at 0.1x your hourly rate.

To put into context with night premium and guaranteed overtime with the Sunday allowances you will earn about £8k extra a year on a grade 2 position - about 34k.

Then you have free days to work - every 12 weeks you have an opportunity to work one as a NR working week is 35 hours and a 12hr rostered week is 36. So the extra hour a week is given back as a day off but where I work they'all offer you to work it as a RDW at 1.25x - overtime for a day you're used to working anyway! Plus any other opportunities due to sick/annual leave and safety briefs where relief are unavailable. Again at 1.25x.

Plus with the amount of annual leave you get if you wanted you could be paid for bank holidays whether you work them or not. If you are not rostered In then it's paid at basic rate. If you do work a BH it'll be 2x or 3x for Xmas Day or Boxing Day.

I don't believe you get any extra allowance for annual leave. Sorry for long post but there's some serious cash to be earned and obviously a lot of opportunity to go to higher grade. As for the job itself - I'm fairly new but have had some horrendous jobs and I love it. You can switch off completely when leaving work, work life balance is excellent and being rostered off for a week each month is amazing. Obviously I don't know what you currently do but I'd recommend it to anyone.

nom de guerre

I currently work shifts and we get a shift allowance on top of our pay and we get this even if we take annual leave ..is this the same with network rail or is it just the Sunday enhancements and night shift pay that you work and nothing when on leave.

Firstly, congratulations on the job offer. If you don't mind me asking, where might you be going to (is the other thread you started recently a clue)? If we know the location and grade, we'll be able to give a more accurate estimate of your potential earnings.

There is no shift allowance per se. You will only be paid for Sundays and nights that you actually work.

What bank holiday and London/South East allowances are you entitled to in your present role?

As far as I'm aware most 12hr rosters for a residential location (Not relief) You are guaranteed two Sundays OT per 4 weeks, one night shift and one day.

Depends on the size of the box; larger locations roster fewer signallers on Sundays. My place runs a 12h roster and we average around 1.5 Sundays per 4 weeks.

The flip side of a 12h roster is that you only work around 150 days a year, which provides plenty of scope for overtime.

Redder

The 12 hour roster does to me seem the better of the two. Does anyone know which boxes/bases in the South East operate the 12 hour pattern?

contrad!ction

The 12 hour roster does to me seem the better of the two. Does anyone know which boxes/bases in the South East operate the 12 hour pattern?

Most of the larger centres are on 12's (East Kent, Ashford IECC, Vic./London Bridge, Three Bridges ROC all are), not sure about Three Bridges ASC though.

AFAIK the single manned boxes do 8's with 12's on Sundays but don't quote me on that...

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Wimbledon; Woking; Guildford; Wokingham; Pompey direct; Basingstoke & Havant are all 8 hours; I'm 90% certain Feltham and Eastleigh are as well. However the Pompey Direct; Woking; Guildford and Wokingham do 12s on Sundays. Havant do 8s; not sure about the others.
Not sure about further west

nom de guerre

Does TVSC do 12's? Would they be 06:00 to 18.00, 18:00 to 06:00?

Yes, I believe they're 12s too. Most ROCs are. Whether Didcot qualifies as 'South East' is another matter. Changeover times are usually between 6 and 7.

So nowhere is Sussex apart from Three Bridges does 12's it seems?

Not as far as I'm aware. The Southern has tended to prefer 8s.

8d3

Hello, do you know if it can take a while to find out if you have been successful at interview with Network Rail?

I'm just wondering as I have an interview next week for a post, I have a interview for another job (not Network Rail) the day after so I'm wondering what happens if I'm offered the other job before I haven't heard back from Network Rail. Hopefully they'll be happy to wait if NR can take a while... I'm getting ahead of myself really...

Also if anyone has any tips for Signaller interviews. Non Technical Skills, I'm studying those. I'm very much used to competency based interviews so the questions that I think I'll find the hardest are things like "What do you know about Network Rail?"
I imagine it's best to not just sound like you've just trawled Wikipaedia for NR facts.