• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sam4494

Hi all, passed the first stage of assesment and just wondering if there's any tips for stage 2, the MMI interview.

I'm expecting situational and experience based questions and have a few answers ready but just wondering if there is any more insight to be had on this interview or other ways I can prepare for stage 2.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dazzayid

Why is it when you have the interview for the drivers job do you come out thinking ' why did I not say this and that' had mine last week and now dreading the inevitable ' unfortunately you were unsuccessful' email

Martin Dolan

I've got mine tomorrow, I have an idea what they'll be asking.

What questions did they ask you dazzayid?

Cheers

SHRUBS

I have just passed the tests and the first interview last month. I’m just waiting to be called for the second interview I’m for someone how has just pass or is on a course to obtain some information on the studying from so I could start working on it. Can anyone help if so please reply or give me a call on 07946510242.
Kind regards.
Jon.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can anyone help I have just competed the test and pass. The I had an interview and passed they told me I would be put on a list and it may take upto 3 years to get a 2nd interview? Dose anyone have any in put?

Can anyone help I have just competed the test and pass. The I had an interview and passed they told me I would be put on a list and it may take upto 3 years to get a 2nd interview? Dose anyone have any in put?

Can anyone please HELP????
I have just passed the tests and the first interview last month. I’m just waiting to be called for the second interview I’m for someone how has just pass or is on a course to obtain some information on the studying from so I could start working on it. Can anyone help if so please reply or give me a call on 07946510242.
Kind regards.
Jon.
:roll:
Hi Guys,

I've just recently qualified as a driver for National Express East Coast at Leeds.

I was an internal applicant but I will pass on my experience.

First there was the interview. 300 applicants down to 30 to be interviewed. It is important on the application form as well as the interview to talk about professionalism, your reliability but even more importantly they want to hear about how importantly you take communication and safety. You must be able to show you have done some research. Tell them where their driver's depots are, their train depots, which routes they travel over.

There were 2 positions and they only sent us 2 for the pyschometric testing, whereas usually they send half a dozen because the pass rate is about 25%.

At the testing you will do a short term memory test. You get a passage of text to read for about 5 minutes and then have to answer as many multiple choice questions as you can in the time given. You can make notes whilst you read the text and I cant stress enough I much this will help you.

You will then have to do the concentration test, which is also known as the barden test. It is pages of groups shapes made up of 3, 4 or 5 dots. The idea is to put a mark through each of the 4 dot shapes and do as many as possible. This is difficult but photocopy loads and loads of pages before you go and just do them over and over again.

There is then the co-ordination test on a computer. There is a monitor with a special keyboard which has 4 coloured buttons on. You also have 2 foot pedals and ear phones on. Basically the idea is which ever colour flashes on to the screen you press the corresponding button. When ever you get a buzz in your left ear your press down the left foot pedal etc. This should be fine if you are used to using a playstation etc.

Then there is the mechanics test. This is basically a physics test. You'll get diagrams and questions like if pulley A is turned clockwise which way will pulley C turn. Buy Physics for dummies. This was a great help to me.

Anyway, pass all that and you are in! Then the hard work starts.

Hope this helps. I was thinking of operating some sort of seminar for people that are looking to get in to train driving and want to know what is involved. I'd provide examples used in the psychometric testing and interview techniques etc. Do you think anybody would be interested in attending such a thing?

Anyway, bye for now.

Mike
Can anyone please HELP???? If possible Mike could I give you a call?
Kind regards.
Jon.

Sikes 88

I'm awaiting a date for my dm interview. Anyone have any advice on the sort of questions asked

dapc

In regards to Shrubs.......... dont study or look at anything. thats what the training is for.

Sikes... well i've had two and both were very different. 1st was 2 on 1 and lasted 1.30-2hours and was very formal and the second for a different company lasted 30mins and was a casual chat.

Questions asked were, a situation you've dealt with safety, working shifts, same really as you have already done. Learn about the company, services, destinations, HQ, class trains they run.

Sikes 88

In regards to Shrubs.......... dont study or look at anything. thats what the training is for.

Sikes... well i've had two and both were very different. 1st was 2 on 1 and lasted 1.30-2hours and was very formal and the second for a different company lasted 30mins and was a casual chat.

Questions asked were, a situation you've dealt with safety, working shifts, same really as you have already done. Learn about the company, services, destinations, HQ, class trains they run.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated

Tara100

Hello all.

I'm currently employed by FGW as a TE, and have applied for trainee driver. I'm at early stages, and have my telephone interview next week.
Has anyone here gone through the driver interview process very recently, as I like a heads up on possible questioning please.
I'm guessing problem solving and safety awareness will be hot topics.
Would it fine to not necessarily answer with all past work events, and use some general life experiences? :)

Any quickie tips would be greatly appreciated please, as this application will be tougher than my initial application for TE.

Many thanks!

p.s
I've asked a couple of drivers for advice, but most are 'old school' when the process and questioning was entirely different :)

EazyGuy

Does/Has anybody here purchased the material for train driver assessment off how2become.com?

Is it worth it?

Are there any other materials out there that are highly recommended /used a lot?

Trying to prepare for my assessment as best as I can.

TDK

Established Member
Does/Has anybody here purchased the material for train driver assessment off how2become.com?

Is it worth it?

Are there any other materials out there that are highly recommended /used a lot?

All I can say is there are hundreds of people who have purchased and spent a lot of money on such things and have still not got a job. Either you have the qualities or you do not. If you feel personally that it will help go ahead but it does not mean you will have an upper edge on someone who has the natural ability and the past working experience for the job.

DunfordBridge

Is it worth it?

I have bought some of the books and I am still waiting to become a train driver. They are good as a means of warming up but in common with the practice material sent by the rail companies, it is not really a totally faithful depiction of the real event.

One example is the largely defunct mechanical comprehension test, if all you have seen are the examples in these books, then you will be in for a bit of a shock when you perform the real test.

The Group Bourdon examples are more faithful but it is or was possible to obtain the free download that emulates this test and also the SCAAT test.

I understand that they are producing some emulations of the more modern tests such as the Traffic Perception test. Maybe other members would like to comment on these and how well they relate to the actual tests.

spider8

Is it worth it?

Some rail companies (like Southern) slip in their own test as an extra halfway through and nothing on How2become prepares you for this. But only hindsight can really tell. I think How2 may help some but not others. It certainly won't do any harm.
I think it helped me a little on the AVAVT test (it lessened the shock) and am hoping it will help me on the interview questions to come later. £75 a big ask though. If you're hard up I'd save your money.

redron

I think if you are to purchase anything, go for the book which is only around £10. It has some helpful stuff in there and although the tests in there are not exactly the same, they are quite tricky and get you used to working accurately under time restrictions.

With this, you also get access to the online testing suite and an interview help guide as a PDF download.

I would not waste your money on the software as it is of a poor quality and unlikely to help you with the actual tests.

The Group Bourdon Free download is of a higher quality and is excellent preparation.

The tests on the day are all very simple at the core. To pass them you just need to remain calm and make sure you FULLY understand what you are required to do.

387star

On Moderation
I think if you are to purchase anything, go for the book which is only around £10. It has some helpful stuff in there and although the tests in there are not exactly the same, they are quite tricky and get you used to working accurately under time restrictions.

With this, you also get access to the online testing suite and an interview help guide as a PDF download.

I would not waste your money on the software as it is of a poor quality and unlikely to help you with the actual tests.

The Group Bourdon Free download is of a higher quality and is excellent preparation.

The tests on the day are all very simple at the core. To pass them you just need to remain calm and make sure you FULLY understand what you are required to do.

Indeed stage one I found very easy and almost enjoyed it!
Stage two was slightly harder

Nothing is as hard as the MMI though

redron

Indeed stage one I found very easy and almost enjoyed it!
Stage two was slightly harder

Nothing is as hard as the MMI though

What did you find hard about the MMI?

I suppose you could have a tough interviewer but I think as long as you are prepared with some relevant example situations, and you are able to explain them fully, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Personally I think after the assessment, the managers interview is tricky because you need to show that you have the qualities for the job and you understand what you are up against.

If you can do that, you are pretty much there.

redron

Explain when you have:

Dealt with a high pressure/emergency situation.

Done a job similar to that of a driver.

Taken on a difficult task.

Can't remember them all but being on the railway as a conductor has its benefits!

387star

On Moderation
I passed the MMI but on my first question she wasn't happy with how I was going about my answer ie not specific enough and keeping close to the order of events ... I remained calm and focused and gave her the answer she wanted... The rest of the questions went much more smoothly... I didn't think I'd pass it though

TDK

Established Member
What did you find hard about the MMI?

I suppose you could have a tough interviewer but I think as long as you are prepared with some relevant example situations, and you are able to explain them fully, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Personally I think after the assessment, the managers interview is tricky because you need to show that you have the qualities for the job and you understand what you are up against.

If you can do that, you are pretty much there.

Try telling the 799 applicants out of the 800 that applied for a trainee drivers role, of course it is so easy to pass :roll:

redron

Try telling the 799 applicants out of the 800 that applied for a trainee drivers role, of course it is so easy to pass :roll:

I don't think it is easy to pass. You need a bit of luck to even reach assessment stage. I just think the tests on the assessment are mainly very simple and only nerves stand in your way.

Of course, this is part of the day and only people who can stay focused will succeed.

dazzayid

I had my interview 3 weeks ago and got the dreaded unsuccesful email last week, gutted is an understatement. Got to wait 6 months now to reapply

Fred Dinenage

I don't think it is easy to pass. You need a bit of luck to even reach assessment stage. I just think the tests on the assessment are mainly very simple and only nerves stand in your way.

Of course, this is part of the day and only people who can stay focused will succeed.

You don't wear a red cape and have a large " S " on you chest, do you? :roll:

Tara100

I had my telephone interview yesterday and I'm pretty sure I blew it :cry::cry:
Scrap that...Just checked my emails and I've passed!

dazzayid

I know how you fell m8....! The DM interview was my first in over 10 YEARS! It was going great until it came down to motivation; I completely underestimated that part by thinking "it's a bit obvious" :oops: .... Anyway, I enjoyed the whole experience and hopefully I'll bag the next one.

Tbh I thought interview went well but afterwards I realissed I did not use he word safety enough, asked what the companies visions are the only one I forgot to say was bloody safety, I mean the whole bloody job is about safety. I could kick myself. Just waiting to hear the feedback now to see how I went wrong.
Tbh I thought interview went well but afterwards I realissed I did not use he word safety enough, asked what the companies visions are the only one I forgot to say was bloody safety, I mean the whole bloody job is about safety. I could kick myself. Just waiting to hear the feedback now to see how I went wrong.

Someone has said to me since maybe this is part of the process to see how much you ACTUALLY want the job. Not really sure about that. The did say in the interview that the job would not be available yet anyway so maybe it's not all bad. Also I know what will be asked next time

387star

On Moderation
What company?

I remember reading this forum several years ago and there was little on the DM interview compared to now... All the focus was on the tests and the MMI ,.. It almost looked like it was pretty much certain you would pass the DM if you could get through the rest

This is far from it! The Rest is a warm up for the DM and perhaps because it might seem more relaxed people are tricked at the last key hurdle

Mentioning safety is all very well but shouldn't be robotic or as if you feel mentioning the word alone would get you through