Aberdeen - Inverness £170m Upgrade

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Altnabreac, 16 Oct 2015.

1. Highland37

Highland37 Member

Seems a bit harsh. If you read the register of interests and the transcript, the politicians show quite a lot of knowledge on this issues.

2. 47271

47271 Established Member

Good news, but will this work as soon as 2018 if the route hasn't been doubled, I thought that extra stops between Aberdeen and Inverurie rely on having the line capacity to accomodate them?

I like the idea of Kintore station having been 'mothballed', a very gentle way of describing its complete obliteration!

£12m to build a small, basic station. It puts the current huffing and puffing over the profits earned by Abellio Scotrail into some sort of perspective.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...f-from-mothballed-aberdeenshire-train-station

3. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

Regarding Kintore station being 'Mothballed" in the article, does this mean that the platform(s) are still in situ there?

4. 47271

47271 Established Member

5. Railsigns

Railsigns Established Member

The proposed Kintore station will be on a new site about half a mile north of the former station.

6. clc

clc Established Member

Forecast of the timetable changes for the Aberdeen – Inverness line between now and December 2019

http://www.parliament.scot/S5_Rural...ail_Further_Follow_up_letter_to_REC_Cttee.pdf

7. 47271

47271 Established Member

Oh dear, here we go again...

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/f...ss-rail-upgrade-have-ballooned-to-330million/

8. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

It would be interesting to see why E&Y's estimate of costs is so much higher than what' been quoted previously.

9. Norther Monkey

Norther Monkey Member

10. me123

me123 Established Member

It suggests to me that there will be a timetable where Insch-Kintore will be withdrawn for works. (Inverness-Insch, with a shuttle from Aberdeen to Kintyre). However, there's not a lot of detail on that. It could be a short period of time. We shall have to wait and see. There's not enough information to say for certain.

11. Bodiddly

Bodiddly Member

What a surprise this is (not). £170m to carry out all the work they promised was always going to be a challenge. Throw into the mix Network Rail who are abysmal at managing major projects then this was always doomed to be over budget. Next thing we will see is the scaling back of things promised.

12. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

Could somebody (ideally a local who resides in the Aberdeen/Grampian Region area) clarify if these works are part of the first phase of the Aberdeen Crossrail project?

13. JohnR

JohnR Member

Yes and No.

Aberdeen CrossRail is not happening.

However, some of the things that were part of it (such as this) ARE.

14. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I am travelling between Aberdeen and Inverness today and noticed a quite a lot of work going on around Forres (including some newly laid track and significant works next to the station). Are there any updates on how this project is now progressing? On time? Budget continuing to balloon or back under control?

15. GusB

GusB Established Member

There have been fairly regular updates on their Twitter feed, although nothing has been posted during the last week or so. They also hold fairly regular drop-in events (which I keep forgetting about).

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailA2I

16. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The drop in events probably aren't all that practical for me to attend :lol: but the Twitter is interesting thanks!

17. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Such a lack of dedication to the cause. :)

18. davetheguard

davetheguard Member

The old thread is no longer open for comments, so I've opened this new one.

I understand that the Aberdeen to Dyce section of the main line to Inverness is closed for 14 weeks until 20th August 2018 for major engineering work in connection with doubling the track.

As someone who lives far south of the border, it would be useful to hear of any updates any locals could offer. Does the work currently being done involve complete redoubling of the track; or it a matter of preparing the track-bed, and slewing the existing single line to one side of the formation - leaving the second track to be laid alongside later, in say, 2019?

And is the entire section between Aberdeen to Dyce being doubled?

19. Calling at...

Calling at... New Member

Complete redoubling of entire section
    Same 14 week closure next year to redouble Dyce to Inverurie

20. Macwomble

Macwomble Member

Others more in the know than I will confirm/correct.

AIUI the full Aberdeen to Dyce section is being fully doubled during this closure; along with replacing bridge(s) & signalling.

Oops...just got beaten to it :D

21. kkong

kkong Member

Not quite, the doubling is from Kittybrewster to Dyce.

The section between Aberdeen and Kittybrewster will remain single due to gauging restrictions in Woolmanhill and Hutcheon Street tunnels.

The project has a Twitter account at: https://twitter.com/NetworkRailA2I

22. mcmad

mcmad Member

Believe there are large sections where the existing line is being slued across and a new line installed alongside rather than 2 new lines.

23. GusB

GusB Established Member

There has been very little comment on the forum about the whole Aberdeen - Inverness project. I've been following the updates on Twitter, and I can only surmise that everything is going to plan.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member

Earlier in the thread, it was stated that the tunnels immediately north of Aberdeen are not being doubled - has that changed?

25. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

No, Hutcheon Street and Schoolhill tunnels are not being doubled, the section from Aberdeen to Kittybrewster will remain single line.

26. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Shame. Though, that said, it will mean electrification will eventually be possible and a short section of single track isn't the end of the world.

27. Trackbedjolly

Trackbedjolly Member

Well how is it that the doubling through the tunnels has been so very quietly dropped from the project?
    This has huge financial implications for re-opening the line to Peterhead or even to Ellon. It means that the whole cost of redoubling through the tunnels, which the consultants have deemed necessary to enable a robust timetable to operate, is now to be laid onto that project instead of A2I where it should rightly be.
    This is a real scandal. Not the end of the world? It could well be for future projects north east of Aberdeen.
    I don't understand why this has not been spotted earlier-seems like the politicians, Aberdeenshire Council officials, TS officials etc. whose job it is to watch these things were asleep. I guess it was dropped to prevent further cost rises but as it constitutes a major part of the project I find it unacceptable that it should now be excluded.

28. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

It hasn’t been dropped, it was never on the agenda.

29. Trackbedjolly

Trackbedjolly Member

Where does it say that officially? Why has NR and TS apparently been issuing misleading maps clearly showing double track from Aberdeen (not Kittybrewster) to Inverurie? The only statement I have seen is a Tweet stating that NR are not including it in Phase 1; they don't seem to have said that it is not on the agenda.

30. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

My guess is that it was always too expensive to justify. However, if the track is slewed to the centre of the formation with a high(ish) speed turnout used at the northern end end then there's no reason that it has to be the end of rail to Peterhead. Trains from the north can enter at line speed, and trains heading north can accelerate right up to line speed from the time they leave the station.
    Have the detailed maps shown this or just the poster-type maps? If the latter it's because 9/10 people wouldn't know where Kittybrewster is (and, pedantically, Kittybrewster is an area of Aberdeen in any case).