Aberdeen - Inverness £170m Upgrade

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Altnabreac, 16 Oct 2015.

1. Deltic1961

Deltic1961 Member

Went on my first journey today since it reopened. Surprise surprise my train home was cancelled. What a shock.

Anyway, it doesn't look complete .... the trains only appear to be using one line and it comes to an abrupt end beside the Bedford Retail Park .... I had been led to believe it was double track to Hutcheon Street.

2. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I thought there was another blockade planned for November(ish) to finish off the work?

Edit: Double-checked, no there isn't, it's weekend after next.

3. mcmad

mcmad Member

The new (double) track doesn't come into use until after another blockade next year.

4. gingertom

gingertom Member

that must be after the Dyce/Inverurie redoubling?

5. kkong

kkong Member

You can see from the photo linked below that the double track does go pretty much all the way to the western portal of Hutcheon Street tunnel, which is in the distance.

The buildings on the right are Berryden retail park.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dh-E1bwWkAEe1Qf.jpg:orig

6. Altnabreac

Altnabreac Established Member

In that shot it looks like the double track runs to approximately the flats south of the retail park which are 150m from the tunnel portal. The house in the left of the photo is on Lamond Place which is 350m from the tunnel portal so it is certainly less than 350m from end of double track to the tunnel.

If a future double tracking / freight gauge widening / electrification project were to take place on the tunnels then I imagine it would be likely to involve some combination of track lowering / slab tracking. In that case leaving the junction a small way north of the tunnel is likely a sensible move as you are going to need to regrade the immediate tunnel approaches to get down to a new lower level.

7. Ben.A.98

Ben.A.98 Member

Correct, the double track will come into use next year after the Inverurie - Dyce section has also be done. Control of this section of line will then be moved to Inverness SC in one go.

Next blockade planned for May - August 2019

8. duesselmartin

duesselmartin Member

one could always attach an Ellon section to an Inverurie/Inverness train and detach it before the junction.
    Where would that junction be?

9. gingertom

gingertom Member

Dyce.

10. mcmad

mcmad Member

Not until after the HST's are replaced.

11. Altnabreac

Altnabreac Established Member

Only 50% of Inverurie trains will be HSTs, there will still be DMUs on the Inverurie - Montrose locals.

Splitting a DMU at Dyce is still a bad idea regardless of that though.

12. gingertom

gingertom Member

1. it takes time;
    2. somebody's bound to be in the wrong portion.

13. Norther Monkey

Norther Monkey Member

I was also a little disappointed to discover today, on leaving Dyce for Aberdeen, it immediately reverts to single track.

14. GusB

GusB Established Member

Rail Engineer has an article about the improvements carried out so far:
    https://www.railengineer.uk/2018/10/03/re-doubling-aberdeen-to-inverurie-halfway-there/

15. 47271

47271 Established Member

16. lancastrian

lancastrian Member

This is an excellent article. Very informative. But it doesn't mention any improvements to Keith Station.
    Surely this station need to be rebuilt like Forres. A passing loop with platforms either side. To me it is now the biggest restriction on the services on the Aberdeen to Inverness line.

17. vlad

vlad Member

There is a passing loop at Keith - and one that's used fairly often. It's just not at the station but a bit to the east.

18. lancastrian

lancastrian Member

I know that, just as there was one at Forres just like it. All I was saying that it would be better if they upgraded Keith, like they have at Forres.

19. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

One thing I found strange the signals need to be re-located to the right hand side due to how the line is being re-built. However it seems to be only temporary - why? Why not just retain the current in use line as a bi-directional line once the second line re-opens?

20. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

My guess is that the bi-directional capability would be used too infrequently to justify the cost of maintaining it.

21. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Possibly but easier to set up and use than SLW.

22. GusB

GusB Established Member

It's better to have the loop in the station, though, especially if two trains are due to pass, but of them is significantly delayed. Both trains will still end up being delayed, but the one that was held up will be ready to depart the station as soon as the delayed one arrives.

23. och aye

och aye Member

Is there a long term plan to eventually double track the entire route, or is that not necessary?

24. InOban

InOban Established Member

The Scogov is much more interested in making the A96 into a dual carriageway than in any further expansion of the railway line.

25. lancastrian

lancastrian Member

Sp true. My daughter lives near Elgin and her view will be ruined and blocked by the proposed Elgin By-pass A96. I really wonder what they will do when the cost of petrol, diesel and electric for cars. And the only affordable way to travel might well be by train. Although the way Ticket Prices are rising we will be back to travelling by foot, as that will be all we can afford.

26. NotATrainspott

NotATrainspott Established Member

Aberdeen to Inverness is never going to be a massively busy rail route. The Route Study suggests we'll see a 1tph Aberdeen-Inverness service, another 1tph from Inverness turning back at Elgin, 1tph from Aberdeen turning back at Keith, and a further 2tph from Aberdeen turning back at Inverurie.

The factors which have led to major rail traffic growth don't apply as strongly in the North East. Rail makes sense when your destination is in a busy urban area where private motoring is difficult and/or expensive. Aberdeen and Inverness are smaller cities which don't have the same sort of urban pull for work and leisure as Glasgow and Edinburgh do. If the jobs are largely outside of the urban core, then rail won't ever be able to serve them particularly well. From that perspective, dualling the A96 is an entirely logical step since people are going to be driving come what may. The road network in the Central Belt is already pretty much fully developed and any new roads would just add cars to the road rather than making new journeys possible.

27. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Not necessary with current or forecast usage levels.

28. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

It was never entirely double-track anyway. Until about 1970 it was double Aberdeen-Keith and Dalcross-Inverness.

I'm not sure the service frequency would warrant redoubling even those sections completely other than perhaps Dalcross-Inverness. Particularly if Dalcross station were reopened to serve the airport.

29. och aye

och aye Member

Interesting replies. Another question I meant to ask in my original post was, if there is a long term plan (like probably after 2030) to electrify the line, if/when the electrics reach Aberdeen?

30. RLBH

RLBH Member

The A96 is seriously busy - based on the traffic levels, it should have been a higher priority for dualling than the A9. The railway is relatively quiet by comparison.