Aberdeen - Inverness £170m Upgrade

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Altnabreac, 16 Oct 2015.

1. Deltic1961

Deltic1961 Member

Same issue at Dyce unfortunately.

2. RLBH

RLBH Member

It still amazes me that when the new terminal was built back around 2000, the opportunity wasn't taken to relocate it to the south-east of the runway - making it more convenient for both the railway and the A96.

3. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

So it is planned properly then. I knew Kintore was, but Dalcross has been planned on and off for quite a while.

Perhaps a shuttle bus to the terminal from the station?

4. Highland37

Highland37 Established Member

No one will use a shuttle bus. The station needs to be at the airport or it is pointless. Look at Edinburgh Gateway.

5. CEN60

CEN60 Member

FYI - The turnout speed north of Hutcheon St Tunnel is 50mph (the thu' speed is 60mph - rising to 75mph just after Kittybrewsyer.) - for the record the turnout is an NR60 F21.5!

There is new connection from the south into a runround facility at Kittybrewster for access to the branch (meaning the freight does not have to go all the way to Dyce to "turn round" and enter from the north. From just north of Kittybrewster all the way to Inverurie will be 75mph on both tracks.

6. hexagon789

I thought the line was quite a bit away from the terminal though? In which case how could you have the station at the airport?

7. GusB

GusB Established Member

There is an existing bus service which stops outside the terminal building. Anyone with luggage would have to haul it onto a shuttle bus, haul it off again, then back onto the train. The service bus would be halfway to Inverness in that time.

8. InOban

InOban Established Member

Are there regular buses from the airport to Nairn Forres and Elgin?

9. haggishunter

haggishunter Member

It is but the current airport buildings are barely 20 years old, there was a potential opportunity to build a new airport terminal at the other side of the runaway, but the existing site was chosen to make an outrageous PFI scheme more profitable by having lower construction costs. Of course that meant others had to pay for a much longer new access road too as well as losing the chance for an integrated transport hub at the airport.

The PFI contract was signed by the previous Tory government in 1995, the scheme was actioned by Labour ministers pre devolution. Construction cost of the new terminal was £9.5million, by 2005 when the Scottish Government bought out the PFI to free HIAL from a disastrous PFI contract around £11m had been paid through a levy on every passenger and the termination of the contract cost a further £25m.

£36m for a £9.6m terminal built in the wrong place! Add in the construction cost for the road and it was a monumental stuff up, not least the terminal was not big enough, not able to segregate international flights etc so various bits have been added on.

10. GusB

GusB Established Member

During the day you'd have to catch the 11 from the airport, then change onto a 10 at Nairn for onward travel. In the evening, the 10a stops at the airport, so no change required.

11. hexagon789

How else would you get to the terminal though?

12. hexagon789

A shame they went for a lower cost but more awkwardly situated terminal. That's certainly come back to bite them.

13. vlad

vlad Member

There used to be one from Dyce but apparently hasn't run for years due to lack of passengers.

When I was waiting for the replacement coach to Inverurie a couple of weeks ago a lad asked us about buses to the airport and was told he'd have to walk - I don't think he was happy.

14. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

I’m very surprised to hear the Stagecoach bus which went up Wellheads Drive to the turning circle on Foinavon Close has stopped - I used it in 2016 (typing this I can hardly believe it’s so long sice I’ve used Aberdeen Airport..) to get from the airport and loads of folk got off at the station with me. Travelline Scotland does appear to confirm it though.
    He could have walked 100 yards to the road end and got a First bus from there or taken a taxi, of which there are always loads hanging around at Dyce.

15. haggishunter

haggishunter Member

Think it stopped early 2018, it run a loop via an industrial estate and lots of oil industry offices. Drop in use by these seemed to seal its fate. There is however a direct bus to Aberdeen station from the airport.

16. hexagon789

Dyce to Inverness Airport?

I doubt many people would be!

17. vlad

vlad Member

If the bloke supervising the rail-replacement buses says you have to walk then you assume there aren't any other options.

I never said I was paying attention to this thread. :smile:

18. hexagon789

What did you mean then sorry? Bit confused.

19. vlad

vlad Member

I assumed we were talking about Aberdeen airport, hence my mention of Dyce.

If the thread was actually about Inverness airport then that's my fault for not paying attention.

20. hexagon789

Oh right, no its not as such. The particular post was about the new station at Kintore which prompted me to ask about Dalcross (long proposed for Inverness Airport), if that makes sense?

21. Jordan Adam

Jordan Adam Established Member

First are starting a new X27 from the 1st July which will link the Rail station to (almost) the Airport terminal. Rather than serving the terminal the route just serves Argyll Road / Forties Road, which for the bulk of people is close enough and will be better than having to walk from Craibstone P&R!

The service was axed in May 2017 as part of a wider collection of service cuts by Stagecoach in the area.

22. GusB

GusB Established Member

Well, it looks like Dyce signal box will soon be reduced to rubble.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp...aberdeen-signal-box-set-to-be-be-demolished1/

It's a shame that nobody expressed an interest, but it'd be an expensive exercise to relocate it, and it would seem that keeping it in its current location isn't possible.

23. Highland37

Highland37 Established Member

I agree. I thought it looked lovely but if local people aren't that interested, so be it.

24. RLBH

RLBH Member

As is usually the case with these things, the 'campaign to save it' (a Facebook group with 104 members) relied on an assumption that someone else would pay for it. If each of those members was willing and able to commit £182.69 a year - not a trivial sum, but not ludicrously high either - they'd have covered the cost of maintaining it.

25. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This thread is to discuss what is actually happening with the upgrade.

Just a gentle reminder that all speculative ideas belong in the Speculative Ideas section, thanks

26. Legolash2o

Legolash2o Member

Aberdeen to Inverness railway line to fully reopen next week
    https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp...ness-railway-line-to-fully-reopen-next-week1/

27. Ben.A.98

Ben.A.98 Member

The new signalling was commissioned this morning which I believe went well and on time. Three days of driver training are now taking place with the line reopening to passsengers on Tuesday morning.

28. InOban

There are pics on the NR A2I Twitter, including showing the new platforms at Kintore.

29. InOban

Thanks. I'm not good at posting Twitter links from my phone.