• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice sought regarding Atlas of railways in Britain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eire Sprinter

~ sorry title should read "Advice...".

I have the likes of the Rail Atlas Great Britain & Ireland (by S.K. Baker) for the contemporary network but am looking for an atlas that shows all railways that ever existed in England, Wales and Scotland. Does such an atlas exist? If not what is the best one that would show the network at its maximum extent?

This is something I've put on the long-finger for a long while (years!) though may be a while longer if it's a costly atlas.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Ian Allan do a series of railway atlases (like Baker) showing Britain's rail network at the time (in company colours) for 1905~, 1955 and 1970. I own the latter two and they are very good books!

John Webb

Established Member
Ian Allan do a series of railway atlases (like Baker) showing Britain's rail network at the time (in company colours) for 1905~, 1955 and 1970. I own the latter two and they are very good books!
There's also an Ian Atlas for 1922 - just prior to 'The Grouping' which is very good for sorting out which line was operated by whom. Not certain however if it's currently in print.

dubscottie

There is a good website here... http://maps.nls.uk/ It only covers Scotland but shows all lines. You can zoom in on some to show sidings etc.

Dont know if there is a England/Wales equivalent.

D6975

Established Member
http://www.systemed.net/atlas/

Take a look at the above.
It's a work in progress and still has quite a few errors, particularly in the distinction between passenger and freightlines, but it's still pretty good. A mammoth task being undertaken and being made available to all for free.

the sniper

Established Member
http://www.systemed.net/atlas/

Take a look at the above.
It's a work in progress and still has quite a few errors, particularly in the distinction between passenger and freightlines, but it's still pretty good. A mammoth task being undertaken and being made available to all for free.

Just noticed the new update comment - "Next update, late spring 2012 - will include Liverpool/Manchester area."

Wasn't the last comment on there posted in 2010?! Glad to see the chap is still at it, I regularly use his map.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I Have a copy of the book called "British Railways, Pre-Grouping Atlas & Gazetteer" that I was given the details of on this website a year ago. Fifth Edition. It is by Ian Allan. Reprinted in 2011. ISBN No 978 0 7110 0320 0. I think I bought it from Amazon.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
For general basic historical use by some of the younger forum members, I would recommend the 2011 edition of "British Railway Atlas 1947 - The last days of the Big Four" which is a reprint of the 1948 publication that showed the railway network as at December 1947. Younger members will be able to see areas like West and Central Wales and that of East Anglia and compare the rail network there to what exists today.

The index is quite small in print, but does give the owning company against each station name.

This book is published by Ian Allen Publishing and my copy came from the Ian Allen bookshop on Manchester Piccadilly station approach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.